RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bono on Christianity

David

Moderate
o0_Sithid_0o said:
It does piss me off though, to get daily doorstep calls from various religious groups proclaiming me to be damned to eternal hell unless I accept "the lord and saviour" into my heart.
I doubt it is daily, but if so you may want to consider a rottweiler.

It slowed up a bit now that they understand that I will indeed bootfuck them should they continue their attempts to be rude dicks. It was really bad when I firsted moved in around here.

"FRESH MEAT ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

bzk90

Lord
o0_Sithid_0o said:
Ya so I just noticed this thread, anyways:

I don't really have anything against people who have a religion, faith can be a wonderful thing. To some it gives them purpose and passion and a will to continue on through the thick shitty days and a means to an end when all is said and done.

As for me, well im reluctant to follow the masses, sure I believe their is a creator, but I wont believe in any single religion because in the end all religions worship/pray to the same person, there is but one creator afterall.

It does piss me off though, to get daily doorstep calls from various religious groups proclaiming me to be damned to eternal hell unless I accept "the lord and saviour" into my heart.

/bitchslap

Meh, I tell them to get off my porch before I bootfuck them.

Actually not every religion believes in a single creator ;/

In the shinto belief system there are 2 creators. (they dipped a halberd into the ocean and the water drops fell to create land)

*I understand what you're saying, just thought I would point out a little tidbit. In the end the creator or creators are all the same people...

Slayer706

Sorceror
More funny than sad I'd have to say. I bought all three books. Can't wait for the next one either.

This is just a question I have always wanted answered, but noone can ever give me a good answer for it. I would like to see your views on it.
As a Christian, you should never "hate" anyone, correct? As a Christian, you are encouraged to love everyone, correct? When someone does something evil, you should pray for them, correct? Killing other people is immoral, correct? So, what about Hitler? Instead of fighting against his genocide of Jews, Christians should have just prayed for him? This is one area where any Christian I have ever met is unclear about.

Can killing be moral? Can revenge be justified?

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Both.
1) Pray that God opens his or her eyes to see the evil of their ways.
and
2) Exercise the right of self-defense. Christians are allowed to fight to save their families or livelihood.
(That's a pretty common question...not a hard one to answer...)

TMSTKSBK said:
Sithid is an agnostic.
edit: not technically the best characterization, but it works...

Ive never actually stated what I can be classified as, ive only really agreed with some athiest complaints.

When I start College I plan to take some religion studies classes, just so I can be more informed on current religion and stuff.

David

Moderate
We only get them maybe once a month, but they are always on certian street corners. I am telling you, a rottweiler is the way to go.

So how come all the male Jehovah Witness people are like 96 pounds soaking wet and the ladies are all 287 plus? I never understood that.

David said:
We only get them maybe once a month, but they are always on certian street corners. I am telling you, a rottweiler is the way to go.

So how come all the male Jehovah Witness people are like 96 pounds soaking wet and the ladies are all 287 plus? I never understood that.

Because the guys are always the ones chasing you down the street on foot whilst the old bitties drive the car to stop you from backtracking.

I love it it when people of a certain religion knock on the door. I act intrested and invite them in, and the minute they cross threshold close the door on their face. Same goes for the kids at Halloween.

Slayer706

Sorceror
You don't even need to buy a dog, just put a whole bunch of "Beware of the dog!" signs everywhere. That keeps lots of people out, no more girl scout cookies for me though :( .

Rhexis

Knight
Slayer706 said:
You don't even need to buy a dog, just put a whole bunch of "Beware of the dog!" signs everywhere. That keeps lots of people out, no more girl scout cookies for me though :( .

Myeah..but you dont need a sign if the dogs start barking before said people even get near enough to read any sort of sign. Meter readers & UPS guys luff our house. Really.

David

Moderate
Slayer706 said:
Christians should have just prayed for him?

Can killing be moral? Can revenge be justified?
You were pretty good up until the word "just." Christians should have prayed for Hitler, and hopefully many did. God hates sin, but loves sinners. For humans it is not so easy a distinction to make.

The Nazi regime had to be stopped, just as todays terrorists have to be stopped. I don't think it is a matter of revenge.

David

Moderate
I was raised Southern Baptist but now I attend a United Methodist church. However there are precepts of both denominations I don't totally agree with. I attend the church I have chosen simply because when I walk in the door I feel good about it.

Was it the "God hates sin but loves sinners" thing? I think that is said at least once a week in every Baptist church ever built. :)

Slayer706

Sorceror
That is probably one of the things I just can't understand I guess. I don't see how you can pray for someone and attempt to kill/capture them at the same time. Or how anyone can possibly forgive someone for killing six million men, women, and children in the most gruesome ways ever conceived.

David

Moderate
Man you are just going to keep me up aren't you? ;)

I suppose the answer to that would be that it is God that does the forgiving. The bible says that in His eyes when He forgives, it is as if the sin never existed. I doubt that I will ever be capable of that myself.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
It isn't that hard to understand. We don't want to die, but we don't want to kill anyone unless we're going to die if we don't.

Paul said it best:
"To live is Christ, but to die is gain."
Basically, while we are on this earth, our mission is to seek and save the lost. If God wills that we should die, then we will. And then we will live in the presence of Almighty God forevermore.

Praying that someone not be killed isn't a hard thing to imagine. Praying and working towards yourself not being killed is also a pretty basic thing. The assumption, of course, is that if the person in question ceases being evil, you will cease needing to defend yourself.

And honestly, I can't forgive Hitler. What he did was evil and despicable. But God is capable of forgiving even that. Which is not to say that he did. Hitler was far from Christian...