RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bono on Christianity

Slayer706

Sorceror
Noone is twisting your arm to stay here ya know :p. My only free time lately has been from 12am to 3am lately, and I intend to multi-task as many things as possible in that amount of time. Right now I am reading two books, posting in several topics in three different forums, and talking on MSN with a few people. Damn, I just made myself tired. :(

the piracy

Wanderer
i haven't read much, i will after i post this but i let me know if this was said already...

in the current years christianity hasn't been taken as seriously as say...the 1800's - 1950's. In those years followingthere has been more homicides. Your probably thinking, what does this have to do with anything. Well, if your christian you believe there is a heaven and hell, people read the bible, follow the "rules" of their religion basically on fear, and want a reward on their after life. Since people haven't been taking religion as seriously as in the past, they have nothing to fear. No hell, nothing to fear in the after life. They also believe there is no reward in heaven so they don't base their life around god. Instead they base their life on technology, and live their lives day by day, without even acknowledging "God." Basically to bundle it all up in a nutshell, without fear of hell, what is their to fear in the after life.

I am a so called "atheist." I don't believe in a almighty god above looking down on us. I dont follow the bible word for word. I do though, believe in the metaphorical messages in the bible telling how to live our lives as pure as possible, but i don't believe in releasing our sins. I dont believe in heaven or hell, as a place we go after we die, i see it as a mental state, deciding whether you are a bad person or a good person. All religion is to me, is a belief that something is bigger than us, we always need to think there is something bigger than us.

like i said in the biggining, i didn't read many posts, i was just spilling my thoughts on religion.

A_Li_N

Knight
Might as well pipe in, since I have on all the other threads...

Me:
I'm...me. I have no 'religion'. I don't believe in 'God'. I do, however, believe that there could be a higher being than us. I believe that Faith is a big part of many people's lives (including mine), but it doesn't require a God to have Faith.

If someone tells me I'm going to go to Hell after I tell them any of the above things, I simply laugh at their face and say "Yes, I am. And I'll enjoy my stay." If someone sits down and decides to have an open-minded conversation with me to explain their 'side of the story', I will gladly converse with them and share mine. I've done this more and more in the past year or so, and it has opened my mind, eyes and heart to a vast world of things I didn't want to comprehend before. I embrace parts of what they say and make my own meanings from it, decide what I want to take from the situation. I can only hope that they do the same.

My views on a lot of things are ... twisted to say the least. But they are mine. I choose to be the way I am, not anyone else.

If you want a quick summery of my personality, read the quote surrounding the pic in my sig.

PappaSmurf

Knight
TMSTKSBK said:
Granted, there are lots of Christians who see the Great Commission as a mandate to go and drag people to Christ, but this is not the pervasive method of evangelism (nor is it all that effective).

My evangelism is my life. I will not attempt to drag you to a church. Unless you *ask* why I believe something, I won't do anything to force you into believing it. If you do ask, I will explain. If you don't understand, I will explain again as many times as necessary. If you don't see it the way I do, that's fine. The sad truth is that not everyone will be a Christian.

Dragging people church....If anyone was to physically drag me into a church it would only happen once after they saw the results of thier actions.

I'd break out in cold sweats, chills, I get pale and look like I'm about to pass out if I spend too much time on what is considered consecrated or holy ground. I can't even listen to a priest or a pastor read from the bible without suffering those symptoms....

TMSTKSBK said:
Strike two for addition to the Thrice blacklist...
Was referring to pushy religions, not christianity as a whole, lover. And Radwen still has to approve it, hence the reason for the COolgliarch.

PappaSmurf

Knight
TMSTKSBK said:
You might want to work on that...

Can't help it honestly...you know there is something wrong with you when you have people randomly walk up to you asking if you practice witchcraft and when your reply "No", they tell you to start cuz your a natural.