RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dynamic Race/Class System.

Found what I think is a 'bug'

At the new character creation screen where you can choose Samurai, Ninja, Paladin, Necromancer, Warrior, Mage, Blacksmith, or Advanced, only some of them are working for me. (Warning, I use a custom core, but don't think that has total bearing in this matter. Please read on...)

If I choose Samurai, Ninja, or Advanced, when I get logged in and go thru all the race and class choosing screens, the very last one does not appear (skill level choices). My new character then gets transported to the proper spot without specified equipment (in class and race bags) for that class, and no skills either. I know my custom core could very well account for the Samurai and Ninja, but what about the advanced selection? Would this not affect everyone? Anyone else seen this, or not noticed yet?

Also, a question/request about classes. I would like to see an option to choose starting point by classes OR races. That way we can choose to group our new players by profession or race (might make it easier to build structures to serve those players since each race allows for myriad classes and building or adding vendors/equip for each class in every "race town" might be too cluttered)

Other than those two things, I must say this is possibly the best script I have seen in the past few years. Good Job!

P

PoolMan

I love this Race/Class system. I have had it installed for months and it works great! Everyone on the shard is very happy with it.

Bumping my own post. :eek:

I did some more research and found that it was when creating a character and choosing Samurai, Ninja, or Advanced, that the player is not "young" when he/she enters the shard. This causes the race system to malfunction and not assign skills. I have modified the file below to make ALL players young upon entry to the world.

CharacterCreation.cs

Change this line (yours may not look exactly like mine) Roughly line 672:
Code:
if ( pm.AccessLevel == AccessLevel.Player && ((Account)pm.Account).Young && ( pm.Profession != 0 ) && !( pm.Profession == 6 || pm.Profession == 7 ) )

to this:
Code:
if ( pm.AccessLevel == AccessLevel.Player)

*Side note*
This was covered with the fix for YOUNG_F, but it mainly addresses exisiting characters. I wanted to provide an option to fix just the login portion for new characters.

EchoEcho

Sorceror
To Camberman2003: I did not realize that those professions did not start young, thanks for the heads up. As for the starting location by class or race, sounds intriging but may cause some conflicts as say you pick Warriors to start in Town A, and Elfs in Town C, where does an Elf Warrior start? If you could clarify how you thought this would work I would be interested to hear.

Well, what I was thinking was that sorting start location by class rather than race would make more sense. Whether it's a human, elf, or whatever race, if its a crafter, I would like the option to present them with a start location (home base) that caters to that class/profession. Then I could provide specialized vendors in just one location.

Now, I'm not saying to do away with the sort by race, as some shards might benefit from races being in one home location. I just wish we could toggle between the two, since simply turning them on or off could create confusion as you suggested.

I might be inclined to have larger cities later in time and would like the option to switch. You have done a ton to this already (which is awesome), and I wouldn't ask you to create this simply by my request. Any one else see the benefits/detractors to this suggestion?

m_tallos

Wanderer
I would actually love to see it as a toggleable option, start_byclass/start_byrace or something similar..simply because yes...some of us do have a reason for wanting certain classes to start elsewhere...(Im developing two classes that are permakill in any town..and cant use vendors/bankers etc anywhere other then their home camps)...but..in a full out fantasy shard...you still might want the Dwarves to start in the mighty dwarven cavern city of whatever.

I think the actual edits are minor.....but I havent gotten into looking at it, EchoEcho....do you remember where you handeld the starting location code mainly? I might be able to satisfy my own request then, and even offer the code back to you for inclusion if you think it is clean enough and dont want to work it out on your own,

Just a thought...and a great system..I really like its easy modification via ingame commands rather then having to alter scripts, yet the way that it allows for simple altering of scripts for those of us that want to tweak it a little bit...great contribution.

Tallos

EchoEcho

Sorceror
Making a toggle option would take a little more coding than one would think.

Yes, the toggle itself would be easy enough, but the Starting location for the Race is entered in the AddRace gump, and therefore I similar gump addition would need to be done to the AddClass gump.

Once the gump is modified to recieve the Starting location values, they would be stored in the ClassOrb of that Class. Then a command would need to be written to toggle a bool (most likely stored as an RCChest variable) to determine whether the system uses the Race Start Location or the Class Start location.

All in all, probably only an hour or two of coding and testing, and I would love to do it, but I lack the time currently. When I have a chance I'll see if I can whip it up.

If you get around to it, that would be great. Now, on to new subjects, hehe.

I wanted my players to have the option to turn their class and race titles on, or even go back to the default OSI title (Grandmaster Alchemist or whatever), so I made up a deed and gump. It provides 4 options.
1. Race Title
2. Class Title
3. Race and Class Title
4. Default OSI (Paperdoll only)

You can change your title as many times as need be without screwing anything up since its only the visible title that changes. I do not have this deed set to delete upon use (didn't want players bugging the crap out of me to give them another deed).

Enjoy!

Attachments

• RacetitleDeed.cs
    1.1 KB · Views: 26
  • RaceTitleGump.cs
    2.2 KB · Views: 25
I don't think I understand your question, or we are using two separate versions of UO. If you single-click on another player, you get the Open Paperdoll menu choice (or at least I do anyway).

If you hover the mouse over the player, the title you see is just what I had released the script for except the OSI title. I have no control over that one but It can be overwritten with custom code as provided in my deed. The variable that holds it is "from.Title" (or whatever the scope of your code dictates; m.Title, m_From.Title, etc.)

I hope that helps.

nomad707

Knight
Great system but i think there needs to be a hostile system, where some reaces are hostile (orange) To eachother, this would be awesome. Also i think there should be a field for bodymod or something to set the person visually as an orc, etc etc. Great system though, i use it!

Pyro-Tech

Knight
poopthrower said:
Also i think there should be a field for bodymod or something to set the person visually as an orc, etc etc. Great system though, i use it!

Problem with body mod is that the creature you set to (an orc for example) isn't designed with the animations to show armor, weps, mounts, ect. ect. and can pose problems (one i have had is unable to open paperdoll)

some like them though, others don't *shrug*

there is a player set bodymod command called [sc (shape change), which I find convenient and appropriate. It allows players to 'blend' in with a group of that race which could make for some great ambushes (changes your name also to a customizable title, Orc, Lich, etc.). The good part about it is that you can change back and forth at will, so you can still do business in town without being attacked since you go grey when shapeshifting.

As far as race wars, im sure there are enough underused scripts that do that already (Order/Chaos, Factions, paintball). Why add one more? I know it's all about preference and how your shard is set up, and I also realize it's all about fantasy, but race wars seems a bit contrived. The only way I could see it making sense is if they were natural predator and prey, or there is a history of violence between them (as already written in like Ophidians and, well, I can't remember what they fight with, but you get the idea).

That all being said, if your storyline is well written, anything is plausible :)

nomad707

Knight
the only problem is, is that those other systems, are completely different. i guess ill have to make it my own issue and make my own script ^_^ my storyline is humans VS pirates, long story but, long story short, pirates hate humans, humans hate pirates.

- Sir Dark -

Sorceror
That's an incredible script!!! Very very good, but i'd like to change something.

The number of primary, secondary, tertiary and restricted skills is UP TO 10.

How can i change it? (increase or decrease)

EchoEcho

Sorceror
I dont know why decreasing would be done, seeing as you can go as low as 1 by typing in 1.

But increasing would require changing a few spots on a few scripts, I would need to look into the scripts more to find the exact ones.

I played with the restrict class, since I wanted more than 5 per race and found that it changes the serialization. This prompts you to delete the race orb upon shard start, which means you have to remove the WHOLE system and recreate all the races and classes. I assume changing the scripts to accommodate more skills would do the same...

EchoEcho

Sorceror
Yes.. probably would change serialization.

So if you have not set up your system yet, it would be fine, but if you have, then it would be trickier.