RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In preperation for upcoming events...

WarAngel

Wanderer
Wyatt made RunUO-OSI. It's now dead because Wyatt is a sack of shit, a whiner, and a hypocrite. That's all you need to know.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
WarAngel said:
Wyatt made RunUO-OSI. It's now dead because Wyatt is a sack of shit, a whiner, and a hypocrite. That's all you need to know.

I have actually changed my view of Wyatt honestly...

It seems to me that Wyatt was a bit of a 'brat' in the literal sense of the word, where we wouldn't listen to him he had to 'go do it better' so to speak. It seems to me Wyatt got a little taste of what its like to be us and quit.

The real problem with that is as much as I don't agree with him, or Cirrus the SunUO developer I would never try to stifle their efforts to create their own project. The only beef I've ever had is their 'holier than thou' attitudes.

SunUO and RunUO:RE or whatever Wyatt called it aren't bad projects, they are based off of RunUO and they are people doing their own thing and we need to not hate them or dislike them for doing their own thing, we need to encourage people to do their own thing and just be able to not act as if they are better than the original team that created RunUO.

Regardless... a few people have already had the chance to see the new RunUO.com and they like it so I look forward to getting it launched ;)

Hope you're all doing well...

-Ryan

Johabius

Knight
Ryan said:
Regardless... a few people have already had the chance to see the new RunUO.com and they like it so I look forward to getting it launched ;)

-Ryan

Doing well indeed! Looking forward to the launch of the new runuo.com;)

nickomash

Wanderer
RunUO 2.0

Was RunUO v2.0 [RC1] due out April 2006 (this month?) or is it due April 2007? My partners are urging me to use some sort of Russian RunUO-RE v1.2 blah blah blah, but for petesake it is only a watered down, buggy version of RunUO v1.0 [RC1].

I saw a post that mentioned a possible release of "April", but I do not know how old that post was nor of which year/time-frame to be expecting it. I have been customizing a server for the past 4 months without going public, just trying to get scripts working and what not. Things with the SE skills and abilities have given me trouble and I dont want to bring in outside scripts in risk of causing more errors with the customs I have already created.

Basically I am waiting for another base package of RunUO in order to restart the 4+ month of processing it to my imagination/servers need. I have heard nothing, but good things about v2.0 [RC1], and really do not wish to swap your "proven" Emu with a 2nd rate SunUO or RunUO-RE version that I know are not "on-the-level."

I am not begging for a release date, nor flaming for the time it has taken. I am a supporter and longtime user of RunUO, I am just curious to know if I can expect the release of 2.0 in the next month. My Dev team is about to call it quits, if we cant decide on a Emu base to run our Kingdom shard and custom maps.

Longtime - Reader
-Mash

nickomash

Wanderer
lol :)
Whether you are joking or not, I can see that the project is on hold for the time being and it is a touchy subject to "ask" about. Reading further in the forums I can tell that this topic has been posted, spammed, and flamed into utter confusion. I was trying to save myself the effort of recoding work that the trusted RunUO team has completed, but I will stop asking and halt my projects as well. I prefer to customize my servers (WoWEmu, L2C4, CSS, and UO:Emu) myself without outside intervention for the sole purpose of knowing what is going on behind the scenes of my servers 100%.

I see with my first post I have already put my foot in my mouth :(

True or not, Sorious, I Love your scripts. keep up the gewd work!

-Mash
www.nickomash.com

Arcanus

Wanderer
nickomash said:
Was RunUO v2.0 [RC1] due out April 2006 (this month?) or is it due April 2007? My partners are urging me to use some sort of Russian RunUO-RE v1.2 blah blah blah, but for petesake it is only a watered down, buggy version of RunUO v1.0 [RC1].

I saw a post that mentioned a possible release of "April", but I do not know how old that post was nor of which year/time-frame to be expecting it. I have been customizing a server for the past 4 months without going public, just trying to get scripts working and what not. Things with the SE skills and abilities have given me trouble and I dont want to bring in outside scripts in risk of causing more errors with the customs I have already created.

Basically I am waiting for another base package of RunUO in order to restart the 4+ month of processing it to my imagination/servers need. I have heard nothing, but good things about v2.0 [RC1], and really do not wish to swap your "proven" Emu with a 2nd rate SunUO or RunUO-RE version that I know are not "on-the-level."

I am not begging for a release date, nor flaming for the time it has taken. I am a supporter and longtime user of RunUO, I am just curious to know if I can expect the release of 2.0 in the next month. My Dev team is about to call it quits, if we cant decide on a Emu base to run our Kingdom shard and custom maps.

Longtime - Reader
-Mash

I've run into the same problem. I can't really do anything more untill runUO2 unless I completely forget about it and stick with v1. When I mentioned it before, I only recieved ridicule and idiocy for responces. It's really hard to push forward with something when you know that the next version will make what you have out nothing less than bug ridden and obsolete while attempting to get to the point the new version will get you to. Most of the players I had on my server pretty much went their own way and also back to the OSI servers since. I'm not saying anyone is at fault here, but getting ridiculed for asking about something that is really time sensitive is just childish. It's saying "I dont ask cause I'm patient" in one breath, while taking the next breath, just the opposite is being "hinted at". I mean, it's easy for the main servers cause these guys either know how to script this stuff in their sleep, or they already have the fixes in order. Patience, I'm sure, isnt a real option, no matter what anyone says. Their nails are just as close to the skin as anyone else.:p

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Whoever told you the project is on hold is pretty much full of it. I am not quite sure why anyone would say that especially with the progress made on Demise.

Regardless, the RunUO team isn't focused on making things 'feature' complete as much as we are making the engine itself more robust, stronger and as efficient as possible.

To me choosing between having a bunch of elf shit and having a core that is much stronger and proven is more important. Asayre though... that guy loves the whole OSI thing.

One thing we havent gotten is anyone who would solidly commit to help with the SE/ML data gathering. I guess its just due to the fact that we are perfectionists. Everything we do we do as best as possilble and some people unfortunately like to half ass things.

Either way at this point not even I know what's feature complete in 2.0 as far as ML goes :) It's always a surpise at the end when all the commits go into SVN :)

2.0 is not about anything other than having fun... some of you guys need to understand that ;)

Asmir3

Sorceror
runuo community is doing a good job of helping out ppl and on the project but some ppl don’t understand that there is other thing in live that may be more important them runuo. We should be happy what we have right now without runuo we would never be able to play free uo shard and make or own without having to code stuff your self.

Arcanus

Wanderer
I agree the RunUO guys are doing a maximum job. And yes, without them, we would have to deal with lesser beings and or OSI bullshit, or in my case, nothing at all, as nothing else compares. I understand that those guys have a life, and they're damn well entitled to it more so than most. Dont get me wrong, I'm not one of those guys runnin around screaming "Is it here yet? Is it here yet?" but askin the status of something so important shouldnt be met with "How dare you ask about this! You are hardly important enough to ask the status of this". Simply asking something as minor as "someone hear anything new about the progress of RunUO 2.0?" shouldnt be met with head pounding. Nor should folx have to desguise their intrest/curiosity in the form of "I never ask about it cause I know it's comming and Im more patient than you". :D I dont even see those actions in my two girls and they are both in their lower and mid teens, but they do turn my hair a slightly lighter shade of grey by "you ever going to get that new server up so we can PLAY AGAIN!" LOL That all comes with the fear of going through tons of work to find that something that you added wont work with 2.0. I'm no rocket scientist with this stuff just yet enough to revert each and every script to see where the problem is. I'll have to start from zero all over again. Which isnt that big of a deal, just complete agony waiting for some word as to some ballpark. I feel like I'm just waisting alot of time where I could be doing some world modding! :p But of course, no fault to the masters here, just dont wanna get my hands bitten off if I inquire a lil. Everyone has to live life the way life requires it, and many of us have families. And it's no way directed at the guys makin this stuff. Just the weee ones who pounce on the first chance to bash over something they themselves are no stranger to.

Sorry for the long jibberish of a post. The Loratab 10s kinda do that to a person :eek:

crackrat

Wanderer
To me choosing between having a bunch of elf shit and having a core that is much stronger and proven is more important. Asayre though... that guy loves the whole OSI thing.

2.0 is not about anything other than having fun... some of you guys need to understand that

AMEN

Ive never been a fanboi of any dev group but that type of thinking is sure swaying me.

HellRazor

Knight
Thanks for the updates Ryan. Anxiously awaiting 2.0 here! I stop in every day to see if it's been released. :) Do you think we're looking at earlier in April or later in April?

I think that the framework for the ML support is more important than having every piece of it in place for 2.0. If the core provides the base support for the skills, maps, etc., then most of the rest of it could be scripted by users if need be until the full ML stuff can be completed.

HellRazor

Knight
Ryan said:
I have actually changed my view of Wyatt honestly...

It seems to me that Wyatt was a bit of a 'brat' in the literal sense of the word, where we wouldn't listen to him he had to 'go do it better' so to speak. It seems to me Wyatt got a little taste of what its like to be us and quit.

The real problem with that is as much as I don't agree with him, or Cirrus the SunUO developer I would never try to stifle their efforts to create their own project. The only beef I've ever had is their 'holier than thou' attitudes.

SunUO and RunUO:RE or whatever Wyatt called it aren't bad projects, they are based off of RunUO and they are people doing their own thing and we need to not hate them or dislike them for doing their own thing, we need to encourage people to do their own thing and just be able to not act as if they are better than the original team that created RunUO.

-Ryan

Wow. You've totally impressed me with this Ryan. I think you're spot on and this is really insightful. I'm glad that the spin-off projects (even with the differences between the project devs) aren't looked at negatively. They will never replace (or probably even be anywhere near the quality of) RunUO the Original but its good overall to have other approaches and other development going on out there. Releasing the source also guarentees the continued life of RunUO even if the dev team decided to one day move on to other projects.

I think your thoughts about Wyatt are spot on. He started off with the typical "Source should be freely exchanged, we should all share, I will be the rebel who liberates us all from the Evil Dev Team (tm) and brings RunUO source to the masses!" - and then he ended up as "You're all stealing my code, I'm not going to release any more, this is too much!" I think its exactly as you said, he discovered that maintaining a major server project isn't all just glory, there are a lot of pitfalls and aggrivations too.

On a side note, I've really seen a positive change in the forums lately, not so much flaming and bickering going on and just overall a very helpful, positive atmosphere. I don't know if that's intentional or not but its a good thing. The forums are really becoming a much more pleasant place to visit lately and its great to see because this is a great project and overall, this is also a great community of people.

Kudos to all you guys for all your work and for sharing with us the RunUO project!

HellRazor

Knight
Arcanus said:
I've run into the same problem. I can't really do anything more untill runUO2 unless I completely forget about it and stick with v1. When I mentioned it before, I only recieved ridicule and idiocy for responces. It's really hard to push forward with something when you know that the next version will make what you have out nothing less than bug ridden and obsolete while attempting to get to the point the new version will get you to. Most of the players I had on my server pretty much went their own way and also back to the OSI servers since. I'm not saying anyone is at fault here, but getting ridiculed for asking about something that is really time sensitive is just childish. It's saying "I dont ask cause I'm patient" in one breath, while taking the next breath, just the opposite is being "hinted at". I mean, it's easy for the main servers cause these guys either know how to script this stuff in their sleep, or they already have the fixes in order. Patience, I'm sure, isnt a real option, no matter what anyone says. Their nails are just as close to the skin as anyone else.:p

People ask because they are interested, anxious, excited. Enthusiasm and excitement about RunUO should not be viewed as a bad thing IMHO, it should be considered a compliment and a testament to the popularity of the project.

Asmir3

Sorceror
But Ryan and his team want to make sure everything is fixed right when RunUo 2.0 comes out and his work on it a lot plus his job. I’m just saying not everyone needs to ask when RunUo 2.0 will come out Ryan does fine job of giving us information and updates on it.
HellRazor said:
People ask because they are interested, anxious, excited. Enthusiasm and excitement about RunUO should not be viewed as a bad thing IMHO, it should be considered a compliment and a testament to the popularity of the project.

nickomash

Wanderer
Good Times!

No Worries! ;)

The longer the RunUO Development team takes the community can rest assured they are getting a quality product. With my earlier post I was simply curious to know a timeframe, but I now see that we are close. I don't mean to pester anyone with my comments, consider me the "new guy".

I sincerely appreciate all of the effort that went into coding the source as well as scripting AOS/SE into RunUO 1.0. I never want that to be questioned, now or in the future. You have given my imagination a virtual world to explore and I thank each of you for it (RunUO Dev Team + Forum Contributors).

I say "No Worries" because I am confident that RunUO 2.0, albeit not 100% feature complete, will be the most stable base application to run anyone's server. Not to sound that I am brown-nosing, but you all do great work and I commend you for it.

-Regards
Mash
http://nickomash.com

Kenshin1591

Wanderer
Hah the new RunUO sounds like fun :p
Kind of wondering though - will things like the spellbooks and guild system from SE be up and running in 2.0, or is that still a surprise?
Either way, can't wait *sometime in april, sometime in april* lol.