RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In preperation for upcoming events...

Ravenal

Knight
I've been waiting ever since for RunUO 2.0 and I am still very patient in fact if you look in the past you will notice that this is the first time I'll ever talk about RunUO 2.0 on this thread or any thread... =) Patience is a virtue... So remain patient then when it comes out then ya can throw a party... BUt until then remain quite just like those kids in elementry where they remain quite until the teachers say otherwise... =P

Just think of Ryan as the Teacher and when he says Be QUIET means shut up!

Which before he has said it in a different way but you get his messsage... It'll come out when I want it out... (Ryan's concept words) therefore it means to be quiet until it comes out just like getting a new toy... getting to excited for a new toy before you get it is no more fun as to wait and be patient and get surprise for a toy... So therefore wait like a little child waiting for his gift or doesn't even realize a gift =)... I have been waiting and still will remain like those children who wait for an answer =)

I'm not in dire need of 2.0... I've scripted ML and SE on my RunUO 1.0 server, modified my core to use framework 2.0, fixed the bugs I've found with RunUO both within and outside of the core, and made necessary changes for ML and SE. I will still download it when it comes out, but I'm pretty set atm for my server; so I'm not super-worried about the release lol.

Jeff

Lord
xxXXxxXXxxXXxx said:
I'm not in dire need of 2.0... I've scripted ML and SE on my RunUO 1.0 server, modified my core to use framework 2.0, fixed the bugs I've found with RunUO both within and outside of the core, and made necessary changes for ML and SE. I will still download it when it comes out, but I'm pretty set atm for my server; so I'm not super-worried about the release lol.
did u make your account to post this obvious try to get noticed?

Sorious said:
did u make your account to post this obvious try to get noticed?
No I can't post on my other account autumntwilight (I improved ur scoreboard and made it serialize and save and work w/1.0.) even tho I'm not banned (I can still PM and login and edit profile etc.).... I don't know I think it's bugged or something. But your forgiven for bein an asshole cuz I know you thought I was just some idiot. But I appreciate the prejudice in thinking I was a mindless moron who was BSing. I was just making a statement - People don't have to jerk off to the forums waiting for 2.0 to come out, cuz they can easily use what they have and basically make it for themselves is all. And the name was cuz I didn't know what else to make it lol.

Jeff

Lord
xxXXxxXXxxXXxx said:
No I can't post on my other account autumntwilight (I improved ur scoreboard and made it serialize and save and work w/1.0. even tho I'm not banned (I can still PM and login and edit profile etc.).... I don't know I think it's bugged or something. But your forgiven for bein an asshole cuz I know you thought I was just some idiot. But I appreciate the prejudice in thinking I was a mindless moron who was BSing. I was just making a statement - People don't have to jerk off to the forums waiting for 2.0 to come out, cuz they can easily use what they have and basically make it for themselves is all. And the name was cuz I didn't know what else to make it lol.
LOL, to funny, i just didnt take your post the way you just described it. :)

GreyGhost

Sorceror
xxXXxxXXxxXXxx said:
No I can't post on my other account autumntwilight (I improved ur scoreboard and made it serialize and save and work w/1.0.) even tho I'm not banned (I can still PM and login and edit profile etc.).... I don't know I think it's bugged or something. But your forgiven for bein an asshole cuz I know you thought I was just some idiot. But I appreciate the prejudice in thinking I was a mindless moron who was BSing. I was just making a statement - People don't have to jerk off to the forums waiting for 2.0 to come out, cuz they can easily use what they have and basically make it for themselves is all. And the name was cuz I didn't know what else to make it lol.

OK ive something to point out here put up your scripts or ya really cant say that your doing anything but gloating. i can wait like everyone else. i dont have time to ask ((ie. beg for)) someone elses stuff. i just mearly stated that cause i dont have the time or the patience to learn another freakin computer language ((ie. 9 years of c++/cobol will do it to ya)). mostly id like to get my hands on some of the parts from ml ((ie. fishing improvements and the fishtank)). --omit--

yeah sorry didnt mean to sound like a flame just disapointed what i tried to do failed. Now i gotta wait to see why it didnt work and then ill retry it

sidsid

Sorceror
Look, I don't care about 2.0 because I drive a F430, have a different super model girlfriend each night of the week, am a retired billionaire at age 25, and live with a 12" jimmy. I'm just saying that I can wait for 2.0.

sidsid said:
Look, I don't care about 2.0 because I drive a F430, have a different super model girlfriend each night of the week, am a retired billionaire at age 25, and live with a 12" jimmy. I'm just saying that I can wait for 2.0.
If all that is true...You ARE Chuck Norris

GreyGhost said:
OK ive something to point out here put up your scripts or ya really cant say that your doing anything but gloating. i can wait like everyone else. i dont have time to ask ((ie. beg for)) someone elses stuff. i just mearly stated that cause i dont have the time or the patience to learn another freakin computer language ((ie. 9 years of c++/cobol will do it to ya)). mostly id like to get my hands on some of the parts from ml ((ie. fishing improvements and the fishtank)). so stop being a piss ant fer christ sake!
Wow flame much? I made these mods myself, and I don't want to give people my work anymore because I see my scripts ending up being used on some competing server's owner comes on my server and advertises; hence why I, AKA autumntwilight, removed everything I submitted from the forums. And I never said they were 2.0 quality, but they satisfy me to be MUCH closer to OSI than stock 1.0. I run 64 bit server core on an athlon X2 4200+ cpu. That server core has been also been modded to work with Framework 2.0, not 1.1. And read this sir:
xxXXxxXXxxXXxx said:
People don't have to jerk off to the forums waiting for 2.0 to come out, cuz they can easily use what they have and basically make it for themselves is all.
By use what they have, I mean as in what is available to them. The RunUO distro has several similar scripts that have similar functions to just about any script you need to create. It just takes careful studying, and a basic understanding of C# terms and keywords, what they stand for etc (along with understanding errors). With that, you also have several scripts and tutorials on these forums people have posted. When I get stuck on what method to go about doing something, I use several other scripts in the distro or customs that I have downloaded for reference on scripts that do something similar to what I want. With that, there is also some very useful core mods in the Core modding forums. With that, 1.0 has an open source core, use it to your advantage (BUT PLEASE READ NECESSARY TUTORIALS BEFORE MODDING AND GET A VERY GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT YOUR DOING. RUNUO HAS SEVERAL ON THEIR FORUMS :) ).
Along with that, there are a few sites that have good script submissions. One is Khaybel's website for those who may know him. There is a RunUO knock off that has a lot of useful reference, but I will not mention the name, as it is illegal to use, and I do not want ANYONE to use that software. I did look at the code for some reference from that software, but I won't even extract it from the zip because it was made by a hacker. While I wouldn't use the code, I don't see whats wrong with looking at it to learn from it. PLEASE DO NOT PM ME ASKING ME WHAT IT IS I AM NOT MENTIONING THE NAME.

Arcanus

Wanderer
What I dont get is this...

Everything about RunUO and what not are based upon source code that was originaly released. It's pretty much open source and free for all. The scriptors who offer up their work here pretty much do the same for the sake of the spirit of RunUO. Yet, alot of people horde their scripts because their scared of some little 10 year old advertising on their shard. I mean hell, doesnt it all boil down to how you run your shard, not just what you have on it? Since when would a 10 year old have anyone quaking in their boots (or the mentality of those same people that actually do this... c'mon, you really think those guys can build a player base like this?) in such a way that it has them fearing for their own player base? That's a serious insecurity issue.

If you run your shard well, it shouldnt matter what scripts you have available or dont have. Most of the scripts I pull from this site are modded in some way or another. So chances are, it wont be just like yours. I seriously respect the scriptors that offer up their work for many reasons:

1) It offers me a WORKING refrence to how a script works. Each script I see is very diffrent from one another with very minor similarities, so looking back at all of it, this is a massive library of information that can be used in so many diffrent ways. One script isnt going to teach me to write a script. It takes many, many scripts to help me "get the hang of it".

2) It pushes the spirit of open source.

3) It adds to RunUO by making each and every shard unique, no matter how many of the same scripts each person has on their shard. It also helps promote RunUO by offering server admins the insight of what they could do with "their world".

4) It builds a "following" for those that know how to script. Those are the guys that tend to pull a bigger player base. Many of us look at those chaps as hero's by making our dreams come true. Even though some of them can be complete pricks, I still have alot of respect of those guys because they offered their work, their know how, and their insight to us to help us become better at this. They are our teachers. Hell, I even look up to Phantom because of his work, as it's a very important part of my own shard.

5) It gives scriptors a chance to create better working scripts by other scriptors not only helping to fix errors, but build upon those scripts to come up with something that no one would have ever thought of had they not been made public.

I run my own shard, I even goto other shards to look around and get some ideas. Is that stealing? No. If it were, RunUO would be the biggest thief of them all. It is a UO server after all. It's give and take. It's all in the spirit of sharing. If I like a particular shard, I might even offer up my own vote just because they are good sports about knowing that I run my own shard and dont feel threatend by it. Even so, I'm just one more active player online each time UOGateway refreshes, and that pulls curious players. Many even show me around with things their own players havnt seen yet.

Offering up your scripts to this forum is the same thing of me going to your shard and seeing what you have available. One just takes alot longer than the other. While the latter might build a friend base that can benefit one another. Besides, I might not even like the scripts you offer up, or they may not fit the style of my shard.

I'm not hashing on ya mate, I just dont see why people have that sort of mentality when they themselves get scripts from this site. It's hippocriticle, especially when they run the RunUO server to have their own shard. To me, it's all the same color. There isnt a diffrence. Boasting about it simply puts you in a very negative spotlight, more so than had we not known of your possition on sharing. I mean, this site plays a major part in sharing one anothers work, right? All in all, you'll have to come up with something better than worrying about someone advertising on your site. Hell, the people on my shard are friends and are usually loyal to whatever cause. Hell, most of them play multiple shards simply because they have friends everywhere and my shard, even though it's just a free for all test server, offers them something that they enjoy. If someone comes on to advertise, my players are free to check it out for themselves. Most of them are useless and remain up for very few days after anyways. Especially when those people realise just how much it takes to run a dedicated server. Not everyone wants that, and few that have it dont care to keep it up.

Anyways... It's a long post, but I just had to throw my opinion out there. Good luck with your server. :)

Jeff

Lord
Arcanus said:
What I dont get is this...

Everything about RunUO and what not are based upon source code that was originaly released. It's pretty much open source and free for all. The scriptors who offer up their work here pretty much do the same for the sake of the spirit of RunUO. Yet, alot of people horde their scripts because their scared of some little 10 year old advertising on their shard. I mean hell, doesnt it all boil down to how you run your shard, not just what you have on it? Since when would a 10 year old have anyone quaking in their boots (or the mentality of those same people that actually do this... c'mon, you really think those guys can build a player base like this?) in such a way that it has them fearing for their own player base? That's a serious insecurity issue.

If you run your shard well, it shouldnt matter what scripts you have available or dont have. Most of the scripts I pull from this site are modded in some way or another. So chances are, it wont be just like yours. I seriously respect the scriptors that offer up their work for many reasons:

1) It offers me a WORKING refrence to how a script works. Each script I see is very diffrent from one another with very minor similarities, so looking back at all of it, this is a massive library of information that can be used in so many diffrent ways. One script isnt going to teach me to write a script. It takes many, many scripts to help me "get the hang of it".

2) It pushes the spirit of open source.

3) It adds to RunUO by making each and every shard unique, no matter how many of the same scripts each person has on their shard. It also helps promote RunUO by offering server admins the insight of what they could do with "their world".

4) It builds a "following" for those that know how to script. Those are the guys that tend to pull a bigger player base. Many of us look at those chaps as hero's by making our dreams come true. Even though some of them can be complete pricks, I still have alot of respect of those guys because they offered their work, their know how, and their insight to us to help us become better at this. They are our teachers. Hell, I even look up to Phantom because of his work, as it's a very important part of my own shard.

5) It gives scriptors a chance to create better working scripts by other scriptors not only helping to fix errors, but build upon those scripts to come up with something that no one would have ever thought of had they not been made public.

I run my own shard, I even goto other shards to look around and get some ideas. Is that stealing? No. If it were, RunUO would be the biggest thief of them all. It is a UO server after all. It's give and take. It's all in the spirit of sharing. If I like a particular shard, I might even offer up my own vote just because they are good sports about knowing that I run my own shard and dont feel threatend by it. Even so, I'm just one more active player online each time UOGateway refreshes, and that pulls curious players. Many even show me around with things their own players havnt seen yet.

Offering up your scripts to this forum is the same thing of me going to your shard and seeing what you have available. One just takes alot longer than the other. While the latter might build a friend base that can benefit one another. Besides, I might not even like the scripts you offer up, or they may not fit the style of my shard.

I'm not hashing on ya mate, I just dont see why people have that sort of mentality when they themselves get scripts from this site. It's hippocriticle, especially when they run the RunUO server to have their own shard. To me, it's all the same color. There isnt a diffrence. Boasting about it simply puts you in a very negative spotlight, more so than had we not known of your possition on sharing. I mean, this site plays a major part in sharing one anothers work, right? All in all, you'll have to come up with something better than worrying about someone advertising on your site. Hell, the people on my shard are friends and are usually loyal to whatever cause. Hell, most of them play multiple shards simply because they have friends everywhere and my shard, even though it's just a free for all test server, offers them something that they enjoy. If someone comes on to advertise, my players are free to check it out for themselves. Most of them are useless and remain up for very few days after anyways. Especially when those people realise just how much it takes to run a dedicated server. Not everyone wants that, and few that have it dont care to keep it up.

Anyways... It's a long post, but I just had to throw my opinion out there. Good luck with your server. :)
I agree and disagree, share is cool and good, but you never give out your full bag of tricks, never :)

Arcanus

Wanderer
Sorious, I can respect that. I mean sure, someone has to keep an edge. :p But with the limits on how somone will help you, and the extreemly limited requests for help and just what ya get out of it (and this doesnt go for everyone, since there are some folks here that will help you with the finest detail if they feel you're legitimatly in need), what you guys throw out are all we have to go by. When I first got here, I couldnt even tell ya the first thing about building the most basic of scripts. Hell, i'd still be hard pressed but I get by through some serious trial and error. The help I get here gets me passed 10+ days of agony (the give up point is usually one day) to a point of "I got this far with your help, I'll be damed if I give up now). Would I be able to classify my scripts as truely mine from zero to complete, I'd have alot more here to offer for all intrested, but most of the scripts I have made are usually ripped from multiple scripts, as cutting and pasting is the majority of what I am doing to get things working and available to anyone on my server. But one day damnit! I'll be the next Nerun, Phantom -, Lucid, Sorious, A_Li_N (I love this guy!), Ryan, etc. But of course, once at that status, I'd always be second to originals who brought me to that point and would forever keep that documented in each of my scripts... When they're worth giving away LOL

rrashintoast420 said:
As a shard developer and somone who can't script at all, personaly I like the Mondains Legacy pre-release that Wyatt or whatever his name is made.

He decided not to release the full one, I have no idea why, would anyone be willing to shed some light on that?
WTF are you talking about? and isnt Wyatt part of SunUO?