RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts of suicide...

Have you even contemplated suicide?

• Yes I have...

Votes: 59 65.6%
  • Never have even contemplated it...

Votes: 31 34.4%

• Total voters
Rosetta;707936 said:
This whole thing made me think, are we the only creatures to commit suicide? And would we even be able to know for sure. There has always been the question of beached whales and why do they do it. If we are the only ones to commit suicide and have been doing it for ages, what kind of natural inclination is that?

Mostly just pondering questions that will probably not have an answer any time soon.
I'd think having intelligence and desire beyond natural instinct would be necessary for it to happen. Some animals do, mostly domesticated ones (although the Judeo-Christian religions will say only humans have free will, thats complete Bull Shit.) I've heard of animals in pain drowning themselves on purpose, so I'd think the higher thinking animals would. You also hear of animals killing their young during certain circumstances like disasters etc. It would all depend on their level of understanding. But these are all either for survival or for physical pain, not emotional pain. But animals have repeatedly shown emotional pain (ie Koko the gorilla mourning the loss of her kitten) So it could happen for emotional reasons theoretically.

Rosetta;707936 said:
This whole thing made me think, are we the only creatures to commit suicide? And would we even be able to know for sure. There has always been the question of beached whales and why do they do it. If we are the only ones to commit suicide and have been doing it for ages, what kind of natural inclination is that?

Mostly just pondering questions that will probably not have an answer any time soon.
Never really thought of it that way. Good point. It does make you ponder it.

Fixxxer

Sorceror
I never stated anywhere that I am better then anyone, what I did state is that people who kill themselves are weak, sorry if I dont hold your same beliefs but people are different. So I guess in a way you can say that I think I am better then someone who kills themself cause well I didnt. My opinion is suicide is for people who cant handle life and just making room for the ones that can handle it, a good method for population control if nothing else. Sorry that I dont have any sympathy for people like that, life is funny that way.

Also I was saying that I wasn't talking about children who feel that way, I was only speaking about adults that do commit suicide. As for my "superiority and contempt" like I already said, "like most of the population" so I guess the majority of the population is superior.

What are normal and adnormal problems? Well I guess running out of toilet paper when your sitting on the pot would be a normal problem, and getting your head caught in the gears of combine would be considered abnormal. But as for having hard times, losing a job, losing someone close to you, cheating and break ups, bankrupcty, all that crap I would just guess to be normal problems that some people will face in their lives.

"Who needs a college degree in the field of psychiatry or psychology when we have guys like Fixxer to explain it all? I feel personally enlightened."

When did I ever say that my opinion was the new way of thinking or even the right way? I believe I have a right to my opinion like you have a right to yours. Even though yours is not as good as mine :rolleyes:

HellRazor

Knight
Fixxxer;708058 said:
When did I ever say that my opinion was the new way of thinking or even the right way? I believe I have a right to my opinion like you have a right to yours. Even though yours is not as good as mine :rolleyes:

Educated opinions are better than uneducated opinions.

Courageous

Wanderer
Wherein Fixxer attempts to enlighten with us using his scintillating wit and sharp-edged rhetoric:

I never stated anywhere that I am better then anyone,...

My opinion is suicide is for people who cant handle life and just making room for the ones that can handle it, a good method for population control...

Your obvious contempt of others.... of as you so quaintly put it "people like that"... well, this hardly requires you to state that you feel you are better: your feelings in the matter are clear to anyone with an IQ above 90. Perhaps that's the problem here. Only a retard would attempt to introduce the two above ideas in the very same message.

C//

Johabius

Knight
Greystar;707865 said:
So do I think that people thinking it are weak... No... Do I think people that try and fail are weak... Yes... Do I think people that try and succeed are weak... No, they are dumb...

Sorry to any of you who have had someone close to you commit suicide. This was not ment to make anyone else mad... just my personal opinion/observations.
Maybe we are thinking the same thing, but just in different words. Perhaps people that attempt/commit suicide are not weak, but afraid. Maybe you consider fear a weakness, but fear works differently on different people.

And no worries about making anyone mad. My step-father shot himself through the roof of his mouth around 12 years ago, and I don't consider him weak. He was afraid of what he was becoming. He was beginning to slowly lose more and more of his memory and mental capacity due to a head injury that he suffered years before.

Fixxxer

Sorceror
HellRazor;708094 said:
Educated opinions are better than uneducated opinions.

Opinion , a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

I figured you weren't clear on what an opinion is so I thought this might help you out a bit.
An educated opinion of some who has commited suicide, well wouldnt that be rather hard to get since they have commited suicide? Or are you talking about the people that read in books about why someone commited suicide, you know the educated ones.

And yes, I do happen to have a degree in psychology.

I really hope that your not practicing in the field with your attitude and self righteous behavor, because to me is sounds like you would do more harm to people seeking help then good. Who knows they might say something you dont believe in and then you would turn around and call them a retard, lol. This is what I mean about being educated just means you did made it through school but being intelligent is being able to use what you have learned. If you talk to people like that then you didnt learn anything in your studies. Trying to sound superior because you have a degree just makes you the same as the rest that have a degree and do nothing with it but throw it around saying look at what I have a piece of paper.

I know about suicide very well, Ive know a few people that have commited suicide, doesnt make me an expert in the field, just because my grandfather did it im not going to go around saying oh well I know. This is just what I think about it and I do not feel contempt for others all the time just a few people out there, what you are really saying is that I dont have sympathy for them and I do not, its their choice to take their lives and if they feel that life really is too hard for them then giver.

This subject is boring so Im moving on, now you got more trash talking to do about me so have your fun.

HellRazor

Knight
Fixxxer;708193 said:
Opinion , a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

I figured you weren't clear on what an opinion is so I thought this might help you out a bit.

I see that you are totally ignorant as to what an educated opinion is, so let me help you out on that.

An educated opinion is an opinion that is based on facts.

Your opinion that people commit suicide because they are "weak" is not based on research or factual data. It's based solely on your personal bias'. And therefore is not an educated opinion.

An educated opinion of some who has commited suicide, well wouldnt that be rather hard to get since they have commited suicide? Or are you talking about the people that read in books about why someone commited suicide, you know the educated ones.

I'm talking about hundreds of years of research in the areas of depression and suicidal behavior, conducted by hundreds of thousands of people trained in the fields of psychiatry, psychology, and the basic principles of collecting scientific data.

Which of course means nothing to you since it condradicts your broad, sweeping generalizations.

I really hope that your not practicing in the field with your attitude and self righteous behavor, because to me is sounds like you would do more harm to people seeking help then good. Who knows they might say something you dont believe in and then you would turn around and call them a retard, lol.

He didn't call you a retard. But I will.

You're a retard.

This is what I mean about being educated just means you did made it through school but being intelligent is being able to use what you have learned.

While you obviously have never been educated past a very poor high school education, and/or have never learned anything. Because learning is for the "weak".

If you talk to people like that then you didnt learn anything in your studies. Trying to sound superior because you have a degree just makes you the same as the rest that have a degree and do nothing with it but throw it around saying look at what I have a piece of paper.

He is clearly superior to someone who can't back up his claims with facts.

I know about suicide very well, Ive know a few people that have commited suicide, doesnt make me an expert in the field, just because my grandfather did it im not going to go around saying oh well I know. This is just what I think about it and I do not feel contempt for others all the time just a few people out there, what you are really saying is that I dont have sympathy for them and I do not, its their choice to take their lives and if they feel that life really is too hard for them then giver.

Knowing someone who committed suicide does not mean you "know suicide very well". I've driven a lot of sports cars, but I don't know how to build one.

This subject is boring so Im moving on, now you got more trash talking to do about me so have your fun.

Translation: "I've made broad insensitive generalizations that I can't back up, I'm being called on my bullshit, and I'm getting out of here before I look any more foolish than I already do."

Joeku

Lord
HellRazor;708197 said:
Translation: "I've made broad insensitive generalizations that I can't back up, I'm being called on my bullshit, and I'm getting out of here before I look any more foolish than I already do."
Hahaha owned.

+karma

The whole 'its for the weak argument' is completely true, but just as emotional weakness apllies in this case, it does in other aspects, people who get killed in war are evidentally 'weaker' than the the ones who don't. So really, not much of an insult to them.

Joeku

Lord
Yeah I misread your post.
Spent seven hours at work (was supposed to be six), tired as fuck, forgot my lunch money so I'm starving, hurt myself, dropped/bruised someone's fruit, legs are killing me... today is just not a good day =/

Courageous

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;708278 said:
The whole 'its for the weak argument' is completely true, ...

Well of course it is. My dispute was over Fixxer's implied definition of the "weak," as inferior human beings not fit for the bottom of his shoe. The "weak" folks getting to the state where they are committing suicide are obviously weak at the time, but after an entirely different fashion. It might be better to call them "vulnerable."

C//

HellRazor

Knight
I don't even think the "weak" part is valid, at least not as a broad generalization.

Do some people just give up? Sure. But a lot of people who are suicidal are suffering from mental illness and are not thinking rationally. They are reacting to feelings brought on by mental illness that they don't understand.

I wouldn't consider a person like that "weak" any more than I would make a statement like "all insane people are weak". Sick, maybe, but not necessarily weak.

Courageous

Wanderer
HellRazor;708393 said:
I don't even think the "weak" part is valid, at least not as a broad generalization.

Do some people just give up? Sure. But a lot of people who are suicidal are suffering from mental illness and are not thinking rationally. They are reacting to feelings brought on by mental illness that they don't understand.

I wouldn't consider a person like that "weak" any more than I would make a statement like "all insane people are weak". Sick, maybe, but not necessarily weak.

True.

C//