RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts of suicide...

Have you even contemplated suicide?

• Yes I have...

Votes: 59 65.6%
  • Never have even contemplated it...

Votes: 31 34.4%

• Total voters

HellRazor

Knight
Fixxxer;707803 said:
I also know that throughout my life I have been through many things already, and yes sucide is a way of thinking, its not you wake up one day and just say well I think I will kill myself today. Life wears everyone down, and people who commit sucide are weak, its weak minded people that cant handle the normal problems of life that kill themselves. I also stated as a child it is understandable because children dont have a fully developed sense of life yet, and to them things seem more dramatic. But as for an adult, theres not excuse in the world that would make me think ahhh poor guy/girl, they lost someone close to them or whatever the case may be for them to think of sucide. Life is hard thats just the facts, either your a quiter or your not. :D

So basically, because you have not experienced suicidal thoughts or tendencies, that means no one should, because everyone should be exactly like you, and other factors such as chemical imbalances and mental illness have nothing to do with suicidal thoughts. In fact, all depressed, suicidal people are losers and quitters.

Wow.

You should publish your thoughts and revolutionize the field of modern psychiatry.

Who needs a college degree in the field of psychiatry or psychology when we have guys like Fixxer to explain it all? I feel personally enlightened.

Rosetta

Wanderer
Fixxxer;707803 said:
I also know that throughout my life I have been through many things already, and yes sucide is a way of thinking, its not you wake up one day and just say well I think I will kill myself today. Life wears everyone down, and people who commit sucide are weak, its weak minded people that cant handle the normal problems of life that kill themselves. I also stated as a child it is understandable because children dont have a fully developed sense of life yet, and to them things seem more dramatic. But as for an adult, theres not excuse in the world that would make me think ahhh poor guy/girl, they lost someone close to them or whatever the case may be for them to think of sucide. Life is hard thats just the facts, either your a quiter or your not. :D

Just one question, what is the difference between normal and abnormal problems in life?
Because some people don't just have "normal" mundane issues.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Alluding one person to another, needs to be done with more skill to pull it off with out a hitch. This you did without success.

I even specifically stated what part of YOU I was alluding to, and yet you still didn't get it. That's not my fault.

Considering you're only here for the purpose of arguing, your points become invalid.

Purpose does not destroy point. Look up "logical fallacy" in whatever source you so choose. :)

Rosetta

Wanderer
WarAngel;707844 said:
I even specifically stated what part of YOU I was alluding to, and yet you still didn't get it. That's not my fault.

Purpose does not destroy point. Look up "logical fallacy" in whatever source you so choose. :)

What was that? Oh yes, just background noise.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Rosetta;707845 said:
What was that? Oh yes, just background noise.

Awww. People know enough about logical fallacies to consistently call people on them. Better pretend like it means nothing!

Rosetta

Wanderer
WarAngel;707849 said:
Awww. People know enough about logical fallacies to consistently call people on them. Better pretend like it means nothing!

All right lets test just how much you actually know. What is the name of the fallacy you are accusing me of? And just how does it apply?

Because technically you're right, it is a fallacy.

A more appropriate way of saying what I meant would of been:

Your points become feeble at best but in essence are nonconstructive.

In your words you are here to argue. You are here only to get a rise out of people. You're good at it I'll give you that. But once someone figures that out. You are merely noise. Despite your best efforts it is hard to take you seriously about anything anymore.

The sad part is that your only able to argue by taking a persons sentences in a post apart one by one and excluding the meaning. Or perhaps a few odd sentences of your own opinions or insults as a full point. You do not make full arguments form your standpoint on the issues you get all fired up about.

You will probably take this post apart as well. And point out any little thing you can without clearly explaining anything at all. It's a tired routine that you do.

Like a child pointing a finger and saying "Hey everyone! they are stupid! Aren't I smart for pointing that out!"
That in of itself is a fallacy, appealing to ridicule.

Again a nonconstructive feeble point of fallacy brought up by WarAngel.

On the other hand Starbucks is fallacy in of itself. And that is why we all enjoy it here so much.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Rosetta;707856 said:
All right lets test just how much you actually know. What is the name of the fallacy you are accusing me of? And just how does it apply?

Because technically you're right, it is a fallacy.

A more appropriate way of saying what I meant would of been:

Your points become feeble at best but in essence are nonconstructive.

In your words you are here to argue. You are here only to get a rise out of people. You're good at it I'll give you that. But once someone figures that out. You are merely noise. Despite your best efforts it is hard to take you seriously about anything anymore.

The sad part is that your only able to argue by taking a persons sentences in a post apart one by one and excluding the meaning. Or perhaps a few odd sentences of your own opinions or insults as a full point. You do not make full arguments form your standpoint on the issues you get all fired up about.

You will probably take this post apart as well. And point out any little thing you can without clearly explaining anything at all. It's a tired routine that you do.

Like a child pointing a finger and saying "Hey everyone! they are stupid! Aren't I smart for pointing that out!"
That in of itself is a fallacy, appealing to ridicule.

Again a nonconstructive feeble point of fallacy brought up by WarAngel.

On the other hand Starbucks is fallacy in of itself. And that is why we all enjoy it here so much.

Do you live in the real world? When people argue/debate/consider/discuss, they take individual points and show what is right/wrong with each point in order to make a broad, general point about the entire case. You fail to make arguments (individual sentences AND broad points/post) that are stable enough to withstand scrutiny, yet you blame me for seeing through them. If you want to argue/debate/consider/discuss, learn to make sense of what it is you are trying to say so that you can say it in an effective, easy-to-read manner with lots of logic and evidence behind those arguments. Simply stating a ton of random blather and then getting pissed when someone else sees through it does not work.

As for the "noise" part, I strongly disagree. The fact that I receive retorts to nearly every argument I make seems to disagree with my statements not meaning anything. If they are so lacking in solid material, why do so many people (yourself included) reply so very often? If your point is to expose me as some sort of illogical fraud, you destroy your own case simply by replying to me repeatedly.

Greystar

Wanderer
Fixxxer;707803 said:

I just wanted to make a reply but i didn't feel like quoting Fixxxer's original "for the weak" post. I now agree that Suicide (actually commiting it) is for the weak. Thinking about it is not. Many people think about things they never actually do or even talk about, much less post about. I have had several bad things happen in my life SINCE my comments in my original post. I was in the Military at the spot in which Blackhawk Down was based on (no I was not a direct witness to anything, but it was still bad). I got my collerbone and shoulderblade crushed in a tank/hummer accident (tank partially ran over the hummer). I had all the tendons torn loose from my knee in one leg in a bad Parachute landing while in Airborne training. Lastly in the process of getting a Divorce from a not so good marriage. I was young when I tried to commit suicide and I wouldn't even consider doing it ever again. I always think now, 'if things are bad that can't get any worse then they already are.'

So do I think that people thinking it are weak... No... Do I think people that try and fail are weak... Yes... Do I think people that try and succeed are weak... No, they are dumb...

Sorry to any of you who have had someone close to you commit suicide. This was not ment to make anyone else mad... just my personal opinion/observations.

Rosetta

Wanderer
WarAngel, you did not answer the question about the fallacy. Which though I think it pointless, it was the basis of your previous argument.

It is nice to see you fully explain your point of view with this new approach though.

I am not sure why others post back to you, but for me it's the complete naive optimism that just maybe behind everything there is a person sitting at the computer. Even if he is an argumentative person. And maybe, just maybe he might have something to say that shows that he can be more. But I have always been one to believe hopelessly in humanities good points.

No my point is not to "expose me as some sort of illogical fraud". Though you appear to try and do that to others quite often. Which is kind of funny since it's in a forum about UO, and it's Starbucks no less. But I digress, my point is to say that it is hard to take someone serious if all they are trying to do is find any argument to latch onto and run with.

I am not "pissed". When that does happen it shows up very differently.

Have a good day =]

WarAngel

Wanderer
Rosetta;707866 said:
WarAngel, you did not answer the question about the fallacy. Which though I think it pointless, it was the basis of your previous argument.

It is nice to see you fully explain your point of view with this new approach though.

You admitted it was a fallacy. There's no need to continue it. (A bit of advice: Don't shoot yourself in the foot when trying to make a point.)

No my point is not to "expose me as some sort of illogical fraud". Though you appear to try and do that to others quite often. Which is kind of funny since it's in a forum about UO, and it's Starbucks no less.

Welcome to Starbucks, a forum that is NOT about UO.

But I digress, my point is to say that it is hard to take someone serious if all they are trying to do is find any argument to latch onto and run with.

And yet you take me seriously. Strange how that works. :)

Rosetta

Wanderer
You admitted it was a fallacy. There's no need to continue it. (A bit of advice: Don't shoot yourself in the foot when trying to make a point.)

Guess you don't much about fallacies. *shrugs* Thought not.

Welcome to Starbucks, a forum that is NOT about UO.

Meant that in the context of Run UO forums, starbucks being part of that.

And yet you take me seriously. Strange how that works.

I blame naive optimism in hope for the reason I reply. But that's a bit different than taking someones points seriously.

Courageous

Wanderer
Fixxxer;707803 said:
I also know that throughout my life I have been through many things already, and yes sucide is a way of thinking, its not you wake up one day and just say well I think I will kill myself today. Life wears everyone down, and people who commit sucide are weak, its weak minded people that cant handle the normal problems of life that kill themselves. Life is hard thats just the facts, either your a quiter or your not. :D

There is a problem with your above thinking. It's just not true. It's subjectively and experientially obviously not true to anyone who is been there, and empirically known not to be true by anyone trained in the field.

And yes, I do happen to have a degree in psychology.

For what it's worth.

*shrug*

C//

Courageous

Wanderer
So do I think that people thinking it are weak... No... Do I think people that try and fail are weak... Yes...
So, I can't object to this, really. But have you considered that any human being with any experience at all, has always at various times throughout their life had extremely weak moments? Perhaps, then, you might be like Owen Wilson: a strong, radiating personality, at a weak time in his life? What then?

We're human. We're all weak. Calling someone else "weak," is both self-righteous as well as delusional. Self-righteous, for the obvious reason. Delusional, because, well, the pot shouldn't be calling the kettle black, now should it?

My mother committed suicide. I certainly know more than most what the collateral cost of a suicide is. But I can't blame her. Not really. I have no idea, emotionally, what she was going through.

Emotional pain is amongst the most severe and painful kind of pain a human can experience. Consider the implications. If someone were dying of stomach cancer, known to be one of the most painful ways to go, if they made the conscientious decision to end it early, we might not all disagree.

And yet, someone suiciding from emotional pain who, for all you know, may be experiencing far more subjective pain than you've ever felt and certainly cannot imagine, if they decide to check out, well we're rather free in judging them with contempt, aren't we?

Certainly emotional pain is temporary. Suicide would seem to be a rather severe and permanent solution to a temporary problem.

But contempt for someone escaping pain?

Fine, if you feel so superior.

But let me tell you. Hold on to those feelings of superiority as long as you can. They won't last.

C//

Rosetta

Wanderer
This whole thing made me think, are we the only creatures to commit suicide? And would we even be able to know for sure. There has always been the question of beached whales and why do they do it. If we are the only ones to commit suicide and have been doing it for ages, what kind of natural inclination is that?

Mostly just pondering questions that will probably not have an answer any time soon.

Joeku

Lord
Courageous;707933 said:
Certainly emotional pain is temporary. Suicide would seem to be a rather severe and permanent solution to a permanent problem.
Agreeing with C// 100%, though I believe that's a mistake.
If it's not a mistake, please elaborate...

Courageous

Wanderer
Joeku;707938 said:
Agreeing with C// 100%, though I believe that's a mistake.
If it's not a mistake, please elaborate...

It was a mistake. Edited. I deny all knowledge of writing while drinking.

C//