RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[UO] EAGames is closing the dowload centers

moonrune

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;695552 said:
Both of those still require portions of the original client to work. Altho, if we could break away from it entirely, it would be ideal, both from a legal standpoint and, in the case of KUOC, a practical one being that they are made by the same people. But at the moment, both of those still require UO to run.

I need to check this later, but does the free client just need the graphics, sounds and config files (make by OSI, but many free shards use patchs to change the graphics and maps... and other things), or does need other essential files that build the OSI client?

Courageous

Wanderer
PlayUO? Sounds and graphics, where graphics is maps, animations, gumps, wearables, and so forth. Don't think any part of the .exe or any of the .dlls are used, but not positive.

C//

Courageous;695560 said:
PlayUO? Sounds and graphics, where graphics is maps, animations, gumps, wearables, and so forth. Don't think any part of the .exe or any of the .dlls are used, but not positive.

C//
And even then, youd have to have EVERYTHING custom, including music maps, art etc, not a single thing left from the original uo client.

Nott32

Wanderer
O well such is life... but thb UO is ata downfall and EA is trying to fix that. I still have 3 copys of UO:ML so im happy :p btw since it looked fun

TORRENTS FTW​

Nott32, back again(and this time for good...maybe)

alambik

Sorceror
Anti-Basic;695539 said:
But this is an online game. It consists of two parts. Without the server, the client is useless and visa versa (not counting emulators, bear with me). The Server portion, or rather the parties in control of the server portion have stated that the client version in question will no longer be supported on their servers. So when that date comes, the client will not have any purpose for them.

The goal of EAGame is to earn new customer, that's normal.
So it's also normal to try to stop (slow down) the emulators expansion.
The UO old client will always have value as long as enough potential customer depend from this. Any player playing or willing to play on an emulated server is a potential customer. You should consider emulator as a competitor, whatever size it is representing.

To not support something like the old UO client (or something else...) can also be an investisment for the future (UOKR, other mmorpg...). Like every investment, this have a cost (and EAGame paid for...).

moonrune

Wanderer
Johabius;695566 said:
EA Games needs to just let "official UO" die with dignity.

Ultima Online is a mmorpg with life, story and a wonderful background (if you played the ultima games you know this). Different of the new generation of MMORPG, UO have a soul.

Johabius

Knight
moonrune;695586 said:
Ultima Online is a mmorpg with life, story and a wonderful background (if you played the ultima games you know this). Different of the new generation of MMORPG, UO have a soul.
EA Games has destroyed the soul of Ultima Online.

Courageous

Wanderer
alambik;695565 said:
You should consider emulator as a competitor,....

I disagree. I regard server emulation as a complement, as in a "complement good," defined here:

Complement good - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The emulation community is where people go when they want to have a space for just them and there friends, or what not. It's not mutually exclusive with the primary product at all, and there is no good economic reasons why it has to be excluded. Current prohibitions in the EA EULA against emulators are wrong-headed. Imagine if Blizzard were to ban modding. Modding is a very important part of the C&C franchise.

UO, being the franchise MMO for world-customization also has a natural market in selling custimizability. There is nothing quite so custom as a whole custom server. That they haven't figured this out in the 10 years they've been running the game (rather incompetently, as far as I can tell) is just yet more evidence that they don't have good business sense over there.

What they ought to do is something like Stardock, and the way it licenses its Object Desktop product: people subscribe, and pay for a continuous stream of nifty software changes. Note that a user who paying UO but not using their servers is the perfect customer, exactly analogous to all those people who buy gym memberships but never go.

That the gaming community hasn't figured this out yet shows that game company business executives are sometimes just too stupid for words.

C//

moonrune;695586 said:
I've played 4 6 and 7 completely and played all of the others. UO doesnt really have much 'ultima' in it, nor does it share its soul.

Nott32

Wanderer
The problem to today is not the game but us kids (Excluding all kids that r UO fanboys, I amusing us kids for lack of better words, sorry) because "us kids" rather play games with stunning graphics like WoW and games with guns (like WoW has). Ultima Online just does not make it in todays market, I watched my dad play some KR and it looks like a scaled down version of WoW tbh.

I ahope you can figure out my ramblings, forgive me.

Nott32

corbingene01

Wanderer
I knew this was gonna happen long ago ( was being discussed among some of ea's uo dev team) that was almost 2 years ago.

problem we have here is the UO as we know it is going to end.

KR is the "new uo", it is like going from the sims to sims2. completely differn't.

now what are we gonna do about it?

1. cry?
2. adapt?
3. build a wow emulator?
4. lock ourselves in a room huddled in a corner and go through uo withdrawls?

personally I think we should follow human nature and adapt. I mean how hard is it really to work with the kr client? (there is another emulator out there thats actually building a kr emulator (name and site escape me)).

I know I don't know much about scripting, but another option would be to build a downloadable custom client. with all the people on runuo I'm sure we all could pitch in and build our own client.

then again mayber there is another way... possibly making the client part of the server and making a program that loads the client from the server? (any idea what i mean? lol)

but anyway, lets face it, 2d uo is gone. we need options to advance.

Courageous

Wanderer
personally I think we should follow human nature and adapt. I mean how hard is it really to work with the kr client? (there is another emulator out there thats actually building a kr emulator (name and site escape me)).

No. I'm sure it won't be hard. I believe people have gotten the client working already. The issue is the EULA, which forbids use of the client for emulation.

C//

corbingene01;695593 said:
I knew this was gonna happen long ago ( was being discussed among some of ea's uo dev team) that was almost 2 years ago.

problem we have here is the UO as we know it is going to end.

KR is the "new uo", it is like going from the sims to sims2. completely differn't.

now what are we gonna do about it?

1. cry?
2. adapt?
3. build a wow emulator?
4. lock ourselves in a room huddled in a corner and go through uo withdrawls?

I know I don't know much about scripting, but another option would be to build a downloadable custom client. with all the people on runuo I'm sure we all could pitch in and build our own client.

then again mayber there is another way... possibly making the client part of the server and making a program that loads the client from the server? (any idea what i mean? lol)

but anyway, lets face it, 2d uo is gone. we need options to advance.
Or we can just play & make free servers that use the 2D client that doesnt look like crap.

A Cow

Sorceror
fileplanet is good to go.. and.. *shifty eyes* if a PM comes my way i might know of a highspeed download site...

btw once all the mirrors go down am i allowed to post it? its an exact copy so its not exacly infriging on any copyrights is it?

A Cow

Sorceror
corbingene01;695605 said:
lol why don't we make our own mmorpg?

comming from an ex-gameprogramer (now doing bussness apps.. lol.. 850$ a hour.. vs fun of making videogames... )

DIAF..

aka.. its horrible, not fun, too much work, you dont have a dev team