RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which would you ban?

Which would you ban?

• Christianity

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Atheism

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 55 53.4%

• Total voters

WarAngel

Wanderer
Slayer706;645681 said:
Ok, the pope is the interpreter of God. How do you know he didn't interpret God's will when he called for the Crusades?

I can read the Bible and interpret it as saying that I should kill every Jewish person I see. Just because I interpret it that way doesn't mean it's what the Bible really says.

Slayer706

Sorceror
Ok, but are you the official interpreter of the Catholic Church? No? How do you know that the way you or anyone else follows the bible's teachings doesn't have the wrong interpretation if it can be interpreted any way? The Pope could have had it right, who knows besides God?

you are aware that the pope is mainly a ceremonial figure. I loive how some people assume stupid shit about catholics. They had this problem before kennedy got elected too. "Oh noes, the pope is controlling him!!!one1" people are morons.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Slayer706;645685 said:
Ok, but are you the official interpreter of the Catholic Church? No? How do you know that the way you or anyone else follows the bible's teachings doesn't have the wrong interpretation if it can be interpreted any way? The Pope could have had it right, who knows besides God?

If no one knows besides God, then why the fuck did you start arguing about it in the first place? Goddamnit, I'd rather argue with AB or DDTS or anyone besides you because you try to weasel out this "logical" bullshit that has no real meaning. You don't even understand anything about what it is you're trying to argue against, yet you just keep talking about it? I'm done reading your crap. Have fun.

This is also not an argument about religion but the banning of either, so we're going to return to the original topic now. Thank you everyone for your co-operation.

Slayer706

Sorceror
I didn't. You guys were the ones judging the Pope who ordered the Crusades as being wrong. I am simply saying that you don't know if he was or not. My comment was directed at AB anyway, I don't where or when you came in on it.

Slayer706

Sorceror
Also religiously. Few people had bibles besides the members of the Catholic Church because scribes had to copy them by hand. People took what the Pope said as the word of God because they didn't know any different. Maybe it was the word of God, maybe it wasn't.

Slayer706;645698 said:
Also religiously. Few people had bibles besides the members of the Catholic Church because scribes had to copy them by hand. People took what the Pope said as the word of God because they didn't know any different. Maybe it was the word of God, maybe it wasn't.
So uhh... what brand time machine are you using to know all this?

WarAngel

Wanderer
This whole topic is pointless. It was meant for people to discuss why they'd ban such-and-such religion, but instead, people just vote and don't say anything. Thanks, guys.

TMSTKSBK;645598 said:
wtfh? If you don't vote neither, quite frankly you're a jackass.

I couldnt agree more really. If you were to vote againt one or the other it would make you an ass. Regardless of what your own personal belief may be you cannot exactly ban another persons. If you say another persons belief should be banned you go against pretty much everything the U.S. was founded on and even if your not from the states or just dont give a rats ass about the country you still have to look at why it was founded there were reasons that cannot be ignored and that is that everyone should have the freedom to believe in what they choose to.

Alcyone

Sorceror
I voted neither. I do have a question, though. Do we really think that God is sooo miniscule and narrow minded and egotistical that he really NEEDS us to worship him? Do we really think God NEEDS anything from us? Maybe that is just religions way of controlling their followers. Maybe God just loves us, like we love our kids, regardless. But we should do good things, just because it's right. Sometimes it seems like we created God in our image, with the same human emotions and pettiness that we have.

kmwill23

Sorceror
I'll play! I voted to ban Christianity. (Watches karma carefully)

I am Christian in a very true sense. The problem is, I am afraid to discuss my faith with anyone of any organized Christian religion. I've been kicked out of services, told my faith was wrong, told I would burn in hell, even told I was schizophrenic. Then, of course, I shared my views on their religious practice, and they didn't like that much.

See, Christianity, as a religion, has never been about Christ's message. He was a great man, who taught great things, and whose followers followed great things until the formation of the bible and sactioning by the Roman Catholic Church. The message? Openness, forgiveness, and unconditional love. The church, in all its history, has been hateful and demonizes anything counter.

A few claimed I was schizophrenic when I explained to them that, unlike many church goers who claim to "speak in tongues" by uttering random sounds on command, that I actually hear and listen to God every day, in a way which can best be described as a voice in my head. He speaks to everyone, you just have to know what you are listening for. Any time anyone claims that God is telling them to do something hateful, they are full of crap.

Truthfully, Christianity was better before it become a religion. Maybe banning it would improve the warping of the faith.

Malaperth

Wanderer
Heh, you're probably lucky you weren't burned at the stake, kmwill :) However, what you say makes a lot of sense to me. :)