RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't you play on OSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikelezz

Wanderer
Milsik said:
I'm just wondering why don't you guys play OSI? Is it because it costs? Or that its not all that good anymore?
I'm just wondering. Please no flames like "OSI sucks" if you think OSI sucks please tell me why.
I prefer having an italian community rather than an english one.
I do not like to pay 13$ at month.
I do not like to play with "I'm the God of Universe, look at my 12 artifacts and my $$$$ balance" (and we all know he is an ebay user -_- ).
Also the economy in OSI shards is totally destroyed ..
I do not like also the "this is my 4° account, how many do you have got?" feeling ..

Celestia

Wanderer
Milsik said:
I'm just wondering why don't you guys play OSI? Is it because it costs? Or that its not all that good anymore?
I'm just wondering. Please no flames like "OSI sucks" if you think OSI sucks please tell me why.

For myself, it is because of cost.
I like many cannot afford to play yoU Owe.
Money is streched thin for me.

OSI does have many good features from the reports I have heard though.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
*stands up*
*coughs*
*nervous shuffle*
Hi everyone my name is Zack...
And i've havent used uo in 4 years.

*Sits back down in chair*

Vidi

Page
For some unknown reason, I am one of those unlucky people who has bad things happen to him in OSI UO. Im the guy that ALWAYS finds some bug that ruins his day.

And to make matters worse, instead of just accepting problems ( like items disappearing before my eyes ) I actually called GM's for help. And what do you know? The response was ," I cannot help you with that."

Well, I have never been one to page because "my pet dragon won't listen enough" or "Can you give me a million gold?" NAY! I only paged when I found legitamate problems that required attention IMMEDIATELY! And I have ALWAYS been met with the most frustratingly unhelpful piece of garbage excuse for customer support I have EVER experienced.

And there's simply no excuse for it. Ive played TONS of other Massives. And in each I have found the customer support to be not only friendly, but helpful and even PROMPT! YES, PROMPT!

And then they have the nerve to raise prices??? NAY, I say, NAY!

Thank god for RunUO.

Scream

Sorceror
Well it's fairly obvious they ruined the game for the majority of UO veterans with the expansions and publishes. There are so many reasons, here are some of mine...

I preferred the game when it was more simple in regards to weapons/armour, I remember when items didn't have all these numbers and stats on them and I always thought this was a lot more immersive. A katana was katana. Click it and it said katana lol. Now when you click it you get a whole load of junk that just gives me a headache and reminds me of other RPGs. In the current UO 1337 stats on your weapons and armour mean everything. And this just breeds a horrible community I'd rather not associate with.

Next, expansions and the new lands. Even the T2A land mass was pretty worthless IMO. They got worse with each expansion. I can't remember a time when I was playing that I actually enjoyed playing in these new land masses. I only have good memories of Britannia, the original and best. Basically these areas just put me off the game, even when I didn't go there lol. Another bad thing about the expansions is all the garbage they throw in to get new customers (I guess its kinda working for them though since they keep doing it?), such as the 3D engine and the SE expansion etc. Yeah EA definitely cater towards new customers instead of old ones.

I don't have to mention Trammel/Felucca lol. I still can't believe they changed that as it was the best thing about the game having free PVP as it created risk and challenge. I remember reactivating my account a little after Renaissance came out and confronting some miners with my friend, and then we tried to war them and nothing happened lol. They just laughed at us. It went downhill ever since that moment. Now I only play on OSI to find bugs and mess around with the n00bs which is actually a lot of fun.

As for RunUO it's great, a big improvement from the days of UOX lol. I don't really play on PR shards much (never found the right one really, but IPY came close I guess). I'd like to create my own shard, just gotta get rid of all the trammy stuff from the current RunUO distro and I'll be set.

Atomic

Wanderer
I actually agree partially with what Scream said. Trammel, insurance and all that was what messed OSI. The 3D client also sucked, but as long as I can play 2D that's fine (not that a new real 3D client like Iris wouldn't be nice). T2A was a real nice addition, Ilshenar was also cool, but a bit unreal, Malas sucked and I don't like Tokuno at all (not very fond of japanese stuff, but I acknowlegde it fits the game somewhat).

georox

Wanderer
Trammel WAS NOT the death of uo. It just means you all cant gank miners anymore and people can choose a play style if they dont want to pk everyone. Insurance is what sucks ass. Artifacts also added to the downfall. AoS made everything to item-based. Malas Did-Not fit in at all. It is a floating thing in stars.. big whoopdeydoo.... not related to Ultima. Tokuno is more or less like the Feudal Lands atleast.

Atomic

Wanderer
Many things were great in AoS IMO, like the custom housing, the prop lists and the attributes, but insurace and unbalance fucked it up.. But, IMO, an RPG needs the adrenaline you can only have by free PVP, but again that's only what the minority likes (you can see that by the amount of players UO and other games have)

Kamron

Knight
I don't think the reason that I don't play OSI is that much that I don't like certain attributes of the game except for the fact that I cannot afford to pay for a game which will give me nothing in return except for mindless entertainment and a ruined social life. I can ruin my own social life without paying $13\mo.

georox

Wanderer
hmm Ill point a few things out
Most people into pvp dont actualy duel for honor or skill anymore, they just jump and gank people. 75% of anti-aos people are grief players, who play just to piss people off. 50% of people playing free shards are grief players. Trammel was made to balance. I do not like the property list as it makes it more item-based than before. Insurance told thiefs to take a fucking hike out of fel and take a chance at doom, so you have 100 scripters competing with you. Insurance made pk's need money not just a newbie katana or practice spear :/ Also let people use better items to more money=more wins... SWG doesnt have a place like Fel, I dont think WoW does. Most mmorpg's do not have an all out kill people are like UO, most have duels so you know whats going on. DaoC does but it is controlled and isnt as much of the grief playing as uo is. AoS was not horrible, but it was not good. I feel over-all it contributed to the downfall.

georox

Wanderer
I have recently restarted on EA, (It is not osi anymore you morons. OSI was removed years ago, EA does it all now.) as I have noticed that half the reason I quit where stupid as hell, and free shards are not any better except im not paying, and how I play the game i make the 13/mo selling gold. People in this thread like to whine. PvP is pretty much dead for obvious reasons. It gets old, people learn better, items have taken over, its life, live with it. If you want just PvP play Siege. It has no trammel so stop whining how Trammel ended it all. 13.mo isnt a large fee. Its as much as seeing about 2-3 movies in theatres. Its cheaper than buying a dvd or game. Think how much most of you play. If you find no point in this, then find a brain.

Kamron

Knight
Here in Los Angeles it cost $10 to see a movie, so I hardly agree with that. Then again, I think movies are expensive anyways. Brand new games range from $30-$60 when they first release, but who buys them when they first come out anyways :rolleyes:. Regardless, for some poeple, who have alot of bills, pay for school, and have shitty jobs (or no jobs at all), $13/mo is alot of money to throw at something which doesn't potentially benefit your life. But eh, to each their own ;)

Atomic

Wanderer
georox said:
hmm Ill point a few things out
Most people into pvp dont actualy duel for honor or skill anymore, they just jump and gank people. 75% of anti-aos people are grief players, who play just to piss people off. 50% of people playing free shards are grief players. Trammel was made to balance. I do not like the property list as it makes it more item-based than before. Insurance told thiefs to take a fucking hike out of fel and take a chance at doom, so you have 100 scripters competing with you. Insurance made pk's need money not just a newbie katana or practice spear :/ Also let people use better items to more money=more wins... SWG doesnt have a place like Fel, I dont think WoW does. Most mmorpg's do not have an all out kill people are like UO, most have duels so you know whats going on. DaoC does but it is controlled and isnt as much of the grief playing as uo is. AoS was not horrible, but it was not good. I feel over-all it contributed to the downfall.

That's exactly why I don't play other MMORPGs... And no, I'm not a ganker.

georox said:
I have recently restarted on EA, (It is not osi anymore you morons. OSI was removed years ago, EA does it all now.) as I have noticed that half the reason I quit where stupid as hell, and free shards are not any better except im not paying, and how I play the game i make the 13/mo selling gold. People in this thread like to whine. PvP is pretty much dead for obvious reasons. It gets old, people learn better, items have taken over, its life, live with it. If you want just PvP play Siege. It has no trammel so stop whining how Trammel ended it all. 13.mo isnt a large fee. Its as much as seeing about 2-3 movies in theatres. Its cheaper than buying a dvd or game. Think how much most of you play. If you find no point in this, then find a brain.

No need to double post, and much less to flame. People flame when they lost their point.

psz

Administrator
Technically, EA has *ALWAYS* owned/run UO. They bought out OSI long before UO was even in alpha tests (The buyout actually happened midway during development of Ultima 7 Part II: Serpent Isle... EA was quite thoroughly blamed for Ultima 8 beins such a pitiful excuse for an Ultima, as well as the reason it was such a "console" game by comparrison to the previous games in the series)

OSI is, was, and probably always will be the "dev team" behind UO, even if they're not the company that owns it all.

georox

Wanderer
I didnt mean to post twice in a row. Someone else posted while I was posting the first. I am just saying its alot cheaper to pay 13 dollars for something you can play all you want a day than something that doesnt last as long.

ultimaIX

Wanderer
Aye, I like the new stuff. I still play on an OSI UO shard. I like the new scenarios they started up. 4 1/2 years strong!

As long as OSI UO is out I shall pay to play. Been involved with Ultima since about the beginning (Ultima II).

- ultima IX

PennyLane

Wanderer
Pre UOR was the best game ever in my opinion, UOR was still playable although trammel killed it. The rest just increased the speed of the downhill slide.

I played from beta until just a couple months ago, and to be honest...EA blows(translation-money grubbing corporate idiots who cater to the weak whining lazy bastards who are the downfall of mankind).

Trammel turned the player base into a lot of whining panzies who didnt want to have to earn their pixel crack by actually putting forth some effort and having some intelligence. It took the drama and the danger out of the game, which to me kills the excitement and sense of achievement. Without that, why play?....

Why did i play for so long? Because until I started exploring uogateway, it was still the most complete game out there. :(

PennyLane

Wanderer
Re: What is OSI

OSI is the company that originally began development on Ultima Online. They were bought out by EA Games before UO ever hit the shelves, but most of us still blame OSI for all of EA's downfalls out of habit ;)

psz

Administrator
EA owned OSI *YEARS* before UO was in development.

EA bought out OSI during the development of Ultima VII Part II: Serpent Isle.

Status
Not open for further replies.