RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why I hate RunUO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arvoreen

Sorceror
I agree, and I am glad to see a moderator making a post like this.

I think that if people thought for a second before clicking the 'Submit Reply' button, a lot of posts would not be made. I've typed up a post, looked at it, and thought 'how is this going to help?', and then just cancelled it, because the contents either weren't helping, a little too, sure, egotistical, or just plain dumb.

The no request thing is a totally good rule. People that request should be told they're doing something wrong, but not totally belittled and called an idiot.

Someone asking how to do something shouldn't be yelled at for making a request. They should be given a couple of resources to start with.

If people come here looking for help, even if they are a little dumb about coding/scripting/RunUO, and are flamed for their lack of knowledge, chances are they might not come back, and that's one less person using RunUO, or that maybe had the potential to be a great and creative scripter. A first-time rulebreaker shouldn't be met with 'I hope you get banned! I reported your post!' and crap like that. Like none of the rest of us has ever broken a rule on accident :p

If someone requests a script, and are kindly informed that they can't request, and perhaps given a couple ideas on where to find their script, or even how to create it, respect is gained by the poster, and the newcomer might become a great member of this community.

On the other hand, someone that posts a request for scripts in multiple forums, multiple times, with multiple accounts, should be set on fire, along with a box of kittens.

I'm relatively new to the RunUO community compared to a lot of people, and I can honestly say that I am glad I have a technical/programming background, because being new around here IS a rough way to start, and I would have hated having what would be considered 'simple' or 'stupid' questions.

Outkast, you da man. :cool:

Evil Jason

Sorceror
The Truth Hurts

I agree with OutkastDev. His post precisely outlines why it is that I have posted 2 to 3 questions in total in the 4 years I have been using RunUO.

I know that when I run across an issue in scripting that asking for help here is virtually pointless.

There are people that DO help, and I hope that they continue to do so. Most of the time however, I just search for days, dig what snipets of other scripts I can find so I can figure out what they do in order to learn what I need to implement in my own scripts.

Pointless comments like "do a search" or "learn c#" are so assinine, if you do not want to actually put an example code up, thats fine. Put a link to a similar topic, but if you are only going to say "search for it" do everyone a favor and DO NOT REPLY.

Replies like that do absolutely nothing for someone who has just posted their code (showing that they are actually DOING something), as a search for a quick answer has more than likely already occurred. I personally exhaust my RunUO Distro scripts and searching these forums before I ever attempt to ask anyone for anything in here.

I also realize that there are many people who post on here having done nothing themselves, and are looking for a handout script. By all means IGNORE those posts if that indeed seems to be the aim of the poster.

But code snippets and examples are in no way "doing all the work " for someone else especially if you just read their post and there is a script posted right there for you to see to show they are trying to do it themselves.

This place has become a literal "Magic 8 Ball" for fledgling scripters. With answers too similar to "Please concentrate and ask again later", no one is being helped or taught ANYTHING.

I'm surprised that Milton Bradley or whoever makes the Magic 8 Ball hasn't sued these forums for illegal representation.

Just My two cents.

~Jason

I think if people can't be helpful and polite to others that ask for help then why post at all...:( I've read things such as
1. Find the answers yourself, I'm not going to help you.
2. Your shard won't last long, I'm not going to bother helping you.
3. If you can't figure out a simple thing you shouldn't have a shard or play.
4. Or my favorite.." I know the answer, but I'm not telling you, go find it"..:mad:

Its like why bother posting if your not going to help someone. Why make people feel stupid when they need help....Grrrr Yes, some people need some extra help and someone to help them thru a problem...Why down them or belittle them, to make YOURSELF look better..Well it doesn't!!! It makes that person look like a ass.

This forum is for information and help. I see A LOT of good people here helping others and will take the time to help them thru the problem, but I also see a lot that think they "Know it all" and just want to give these snide comments making people feel stupid and thats totally wrong! I know I have alot to learn still and when I do have a question I cringe if I have to post, knowing I'll get flamed for such a stupid post....And I know that I will help anyone if I know the answers or can point them in the right direction for the answers. We all were new at this and all needed help and this is what the forum is for....

If you don't have anything helpful to say DON'T post! Its rude and will scare off alot of players that do need help....

Thanks for this topic Mod! It needed to be said and something needs to be done to make this a helpful place that people can find answers instead of making them feel stupid for asking......

Viago

Knight
runuo should have a hunting season. ya know to thin out the herd. id be first to go....well because im numb....lol :p

ive been a big fan of runuo. and always admited m scripts wer never 100% fool proof, cause. well i am a fool. lol. but when people post scripts, then they find out other ways to script, that they didnt know befor making thier scripts a lil better. if not a lil more creative.

but i dont think phantom needs to be banned or something, might need to descibe his responses a lil more detaild. i have this trubble irl :rolleyes: it helps to be less vaugh.

ive stoped scripting because of some things. i admit i can be a "hog" (of many things). but i do help when i can, whith what i know about lol. and yes ive used the harsh blunt "search" response.

Ki Frost

Sorceror
:confused: holy crap, in the last ten minutes I have seen a MAJOR change in attitude from half the people on the boards, just because of this one post!

Sathallrin

Sorceror
I agree with Outkast's post.

As a lurker here for a long time (as you can see by my low post count). I search around the forums for everything I can find that will help me out and also search through the entire RunUO scripts. And only post if I am still stuck, the typical responces around here usually make me not want to ask questions. It is even getting difficult to search for things these days. I search for a subject and I get tons of hits where you go to the post and the replies are all "search for it". It makes it hard sometimes where you may have to go through many posts where that has been stated just to find something that helps at all. And then usually, it isn't always too helpful.

It is true that the best way to try and figure out how to do what you want, is to read through the scripts that exist and try to figure out how it works. I have read through, probably close to half of the scripts in RunUO to this day, but sometimes you may have an idea of what you want to do... but even with looking through the code still have no idea what the best way to do it would be. So then you turn to the RunUO community to get other people opinions on how they would do it, and then it seems when you do, you usually get shot down.

Dian

Sorceror
Man... I couldnt have said it better if I sat down and thought it all out. I also have been here since the beginning. I quit posting much back around the time when SickLab was starting to get his "God Like" attitude, but he left finally.. Its not worth repeating what OutKast said.. and sadly, I even got banned for 24 hours just because I spoke up and said that someone was being rude.. rude on the New Join forums, at that.

I scan these forums on a regular day to daay basis, for the most part, since the beginning. Like someone said up there, I use them for reference only anymore. I hardly go into any other forum rather than Script Help, or submissions to see what kind of stuff I might be able to use to help my own current projects.. for examples, or what not.

I hope you dont get thrown out for voicing yourself, OutKast.. but as the current way it is here, I am sadly feeling you will.

My feelings about this place is, people are too scared to actually voice the truth, in fear of that "God Like" scripter thinking anything bad of them, or a Moderator banning them and not having access to the real stuff they are here for. Personally, I think a couple moderators here actually are responsible for setting the atmosphere at hand, aside from whatever crap the unmistakable "user" has done over the years.

Will things change? maybe for awhile, but you cant leave out either the attitude Ryan sets.. I mean, if you cant even ask for a tidbit on any release progress of the next RunUO version without fear of getting banned.. well.. anyways, No offence Ryan, I like you for the most part. Its absolutly understandable how you got a short fuse here. But we all need to let it go at some point.

Viago

Knight
TheOutkastDev said:
We see lots of praise, but will we see an attitude change? We can only hope...
Ki Frost said:
:confused: holy crap, in the last ten minutes I have seen a MAJOR change in attitude from half the people on the boards, just because of this one post!

i give it maybe a few days. call me a pessamist...but i am.

but for example of Outcasts statements is one subject everyone (inc luding my self bashed) the "when is runuo 2 comming out" posts , ect.

i guess, thinking is in order befor one puts foot in mouth. I duno about some peeps but ill admit. i for one need new shoes.

Ravenal

Knight
What Outkast said above was one of the biggest reason why I am not around or contrubiting to this community... Hint thats why I am on OrBSydia... The staff here on RunUO try to work hard as the best of their ability and I do praise them for that yes... It just the community itself that made it become this way... People should not bitch, and complain about saying "search the thread" instead it is more better to simply answer their question in your best of your knowledge, if you don't know the answer do not answer... I've been lurking on the runuo forums for about a year now, or well should I say almost 2 years now... Thats exactly how long I've been away or been staying away... Because I don't like negitivity, and disrepsect among people... This is just my honest opinions...

If it does change perhaps I'll return and help more... But for now, It sickens me to not even come to these forums...

Irian

Page
A few days seem to be realistic, to be honest. But perhaps we've got luck and can change the way the community went... Anyway, you can't forget that on the other hand, it isn't very nice to ask questions to which a search would have given the answer as quick. Helping is good, but it's also good to think for yourself before asking.

And btw: I STILL think, that asking, if a special script was already done by someone, IS NOT a request :) The rule "Don't ask other people to make a script for you" is good... But I think, some people tend to take the word "request" a little bit to far.

I love Runuo, it got me into learning C# and improving my programming knowledge and reinforcing my interest in programming, also a reason why I will be starting a Software Engineering Degree in September. So a great thanks to the team is in order there.
OutkastDev is spot on im afraid, this community has gone down hill and I disagree with the earlier posts in this thread about attitudes changing. They never do, it lasts for a couple days, such as the last time Ryan had a go at people trying to moderate when not being moderators. The usual people returned to their normal form and the community continued its plunge downwards.
Thanks Dev for saying it like it is, for those of us that care!

awakenlands said:
What Outkast said above was one of the biggest reason why I am not around or contrubiting to this community... Hint thats why I am on OrBSydia... The staff here on RunUO try to work hard as the best of their ability and I do praise them for that yes... It just the community itself that made it become this way... People should not bitch, and complain about saying "search the thread" instead it is more better to simply answer their question in your best of your knowledge, if you don't know the answer do not answer... I've been lurking on the runuo forums for about a year now, or well should I say almost 2 years now... Thats exactly how long I've been away or been staying away... Because I don't like negitivity, and disrepsect among people... This is just my honest opinions...

If it does change perhaps I'll return and help more... But for now, It sickens me to not even come to these forums...

Well in my opinion if more people ban together that are helpful and put these rude unhelpful people in their places on here it may work! Don't let some rude person chase you off. You have more of a right to be here and post helping people as they do being here being rude and unhelpful!

Pull together everyone and show those rude ones we are going to make this a good helpful community! They'll leave after being called out on their rude remarks after awhile. They will realize that what they say means nothing! ;)

Quinox

Sorceror
Aman TheOutkastDev!

Now everyone go put this praise into action! Go find people that need help, and help them. Right now!

Viago

Knight
awakenlands, dont feal bad. i tend to avoid confrontation aswell. and i try to avoid the Soapopra lifes of some people, ive been in two! and id rather shoot my self then to be in another.

but there are alot of peeps who have had scripts released, then eather rereleased and bashed by somone, or just bashed all together on origanal release...ive been there. so has a few others that i know about. lol.

i meen come on, so what if somone downloads somoneelses script, makes it a lil better, gives credit to origanated who DONT suport it no more and releases an updated one for us all. If they wer stealing it , that be another thing.

but i guess the children will make a mess of things when the parents are away....

most people are ignorant and blame others for thier own failures in life, some obviously blame somethings for which you have no part of, so they takes it out on you on somethign she knows whould hurt you, to make them feal better.....that or just to bash your script cause you have more skill then they lol.

but i dont meen to "Tease the tiger" so to speake on this issue.

but in a way im glad somone has said what many have been thinking.
i owe Outcast Uber Sex! Tonight!

jamie7823

Wanderer
When I learned about RunUO. I downloaded it and went to the bookstore and bought a C+ Book. I asked one question on here and got shot down by some dude calling me a newb and he told me he was reporting my post. I had no clue of what i did I just wanted a start. I never ask questions about the scripts because I don't want to get banned on this forum because I love run uo and I really want to learn to program. I'm just thankful that there are a few out there that see what I see and I hope that these "pricks" would be put in they're place. For all the ones that have helped me. I really appreciate it. Maybe one day I can take my ideas and build scripts for you also.

Hopers2

Sorceror
I don't post usually, actually this is my second post in a years time that I have been here. But in all fairness I have to say something in defense for Phantom. No I do not know him, nor have I ever spoken to him. But he has affected me in the best way, as a Shard owner and beginning programmer.
The Most important lessons in life were taught to me by my basketball coach. He made me think, and work hard for what I wanted. I thought he was the biggest Jerk back then, but now I know the lessons I learned on the court also pertain to life in general, and I thank him for it now. I see Phantom, and others with his same attitude, as coach's that only want the best for the community as a whole. A Shard owner that doesn't know how to search for help on a forum, or post their errors to get help? How can you help someone that wont help themselves? Some times I think these people deserve what they get when they come here and ask for help, they don't want help!! They want the ANSWER, and they want it NOW. They are lazy and they have no drive to learn. I have never posted here for help, why? Because Phantom and others have made me aware that if I do a search the answer is out there. I am a better Shard Owner for this, If I want something for my server I program it. Or add what I can to a program. I'm no longer scared of making a mistake because they taught me to back my stuff up first then try it. Figure it out! If you give it the old college try, do a search , play with the script and still cant get it? Post your errors, I have never seen anyone flamed after making an effort.

Mideon

Page
Finally, straight to the bone.

Great posts everyone.

The problems in the community are very easy to see, and they usually arise form the same few ppl answering every question. Now I understand that answering the same question 300x gets annoying and has more than likely jaded you. So perhaps if you do not feel like answering it again...then don't. This was mentioned by Dreamcatcher before..if you don't feel like answering a post properly and with a friendly attitude, don't answer it at all. You don't owe anyone here anything..(but a little respect of course!)

Now..with that out of the way, we also need to see the good parts of the community..there are many members in the background who are great positive influences and who always love a good question. I know when I first joined and asked a few questions many of my threads were hi-jacked and my intelligence was insulted. A big deal? To someone who's been here a while...no...but when I was new I had a great distaste for this community and decided to learn how to script myself...which I have done for the most part, only asking for help when the problems become a bit obscure. But it doesn't have to be this way, if we don't get halfass replies to questions, then perhaps other people in the community would have a chance to field questions instead of just yeilding to the jerks. A vicious cycle.

Anyways, my point is, sure there are problems, but there are also a lot of great people here and if we can simply eliminate the negative forum trolling posts "search this noob", "this idea is stupid", etc, then the community would be a great place to learn and to expand.

Again, thanks Outkast, hopefully this thread opens up everyone's eyes.

RANCID77

Wanderer
Outkast i completely agree with you.. It has gone downhill in a bad way. Now there are people that do tend to be helpful on here but those are few and far between. I know the logic behind telling someone to read up on c# and do a search for the answer. HOWEVER I personally learn from example. Im one of those people that can read a "how to" book 100 times and still not get it, but show me and actually "help" me and i get it right away and it sticks with me. Now does that make me any less "smart" or "intellectual" than someone else. NO!!! That simply means i learn different than others and have been that way for as long as i can remember.

That doesnt mean i want you to do the work for me. That just means i would like to have an example so that i may "disect" it to better my knowledge.

"CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG"

Status
Not open for further replies.