RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why I hate RunUO

Status
Not open for further replies.

momento mori

Wanderer
I agree completely. This is a main reason i have very few posts also.I have wandered these forums for about 2 yrs now and have never had the desire to post due to massive flaming. I agree wholeheartedly with Dev's statement. And the one thing I dont see is a reply from the great phantom. Funny how important ppl can make him shut up and know his place......nuff said.

Courageous

Wanderer
It might be that the irresistable urge to flame has just struck you, and not "phantom". Now ask yourself. Did you really have to make this about someone?

C//

WarAngel

Wanderer
I understand that this community has a serious problem with the ways it acts, but this kind of humiliation as a form of discipline is pretty disgusting. It's not very mature, despite the aim being to gain maturity for the community.

Joeku

Lord
momento mori said:
And the one thing I dont see is a reply from the great phantom. Funny how important ppl can make him shut up and know his place......nuff said.
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. How does your flame make you any better than Phantom? That being said...

EDIT: Image macros are not cool, overused and REALLY annoying

Ravatar

Knight
Joeku said:
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. How does your flame make you any better than Phantom? That being said...

EDIT: Image macros are not cool, overused and REALLY annoying​
Thanks for illustrating Outkast's point. Ignore those you consider to be ignorant.

WarAngel said:
I understand that this community has a serious problem with the ways it acts, but this kind of humiliation as a form of discipline is pretty disgusting. It's not very mature, despite the aim being to gain maturity for the community.

This is in no way a form of discipline. Need I remind you that the thread as a whole is about the flaws of the community. Phantom is merely an evidence that I use to substantiate my views. If my use of him as an example as offended or humiliated him, then that would indicate that what I said has some value of truth to it.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
truth value to it :p (same difference)

and as for Phantom/Seanchen...maybe he just hasn't seen the thread yet.

Edit: Which, in fact, he hasn't, since his last activity was on 2/10/06...

sidsid

Sorceror
Although if somebody asks when the next release is, the moderators respond with a:
"zOMG STFU! If you ask it wont be released! Devs dont like people to be curious about their product. NOOB!"
So it just seems sort of hypocritical. I think the key to everything is moderation. (Not necessarily from moderators.)

Viago

Knight
Phantom is not the reason why this community can be the way it is, ive seen fare worse ars'es here then him.

he has helped more peeps then anyone. and taken more flack then anyone. Singling him out and flaming him, just goes to show that.

i know phantom doesnt need anyone to defend him. but as i sorta know phantom and know where hes comming from im ashamed at some of the comments towards him. its one thing to sujest certain members. but as for singling them out. and allowing others to flame them. just proves the point further of this thread.

i think alot of people need to grow up. If your not going to actually take time to learn something from this community, and flame somone for hinting where to find thier answer, with out flat out giving to them. some people dont like to work for things.

its onething to be in this comunity, and help out, and even learn from its resourses. its another to bairly do that, then come here and say that you know this for a fact aswell.

this thread is suposed to be constructive, not flamitory. if you cant take constructive help and guidance and a healthy conversation on issues with out being a baby about it, then for one, you need to re assest you views and grow up

i dont wanna flam but i had to say this for some of you who have flamed.

its come to my attention that we can no longer talk about something with out a few people making it a personal vendeta to gang up on somone. its about an issue with the community, not with a person. PERIOD!

Drull

Wanderer
The problem is, people are assholes. It's clearly visible anywhere people (mostly, males) group together in large quantity.

If you know something better than I do, beit C#, spell combos, php, methods of masturbation, and so on, I am your infurior. It's your job, to make yourself out to be a condecending prick to make me look and feel stupid. The further lengths you go to do this, the more people will respect you, and ofcourse, your giant penis!

I feel bad for those that wern't born knowing everything about everything, you really have no place on the internets.

If people would step down of their high and mighty pedestal once in a while, and go the extra mile to actually HELP someone (God bless you XxXSpiderXxX), it would work out better for everyone, community included.

PerfectWing

Wanderer
Once again: Phantom is not the problem, a single person in a communty of even only 100 active users could never be a real problem. Our problem is the people who have become engrossed in his 'aura' and strive to be exactly like him.

However I will take a moment to point this out: I hear "he's helped more people than anyone", and besides the fact I can't figure out where the substance of that comes from (post count != quality nor quantity of help), I would like to counter with his attitude (portrayed by he and his elitest band of followers) have also caused more people to disengage forum activity than anyone. (Also, I'm not attacking your points Viago, most of which I agree with, it's just that one statement that to this day throws up a red flag of "What the f..?" in my mind. If it was true and someone proved it, I'd humbly accept defeat, but I just don't believe it for a second.)

I don't think any amount of being helpful should be awarded with permission to parade around like he was. I'll admit I haven't seen it as much lately as in the past, but I'll also admit I've become _much_ less active as days go by. (In all fairness this has nothing to do with the community, other than it's become relatively stagnant without any real new content lately.)

Last time: This isn't about Phantom the person, of which I've said twice (and now three times) couldn't be big enough to be a problem. It's about those that continue to be like him and thus make him big enough to be a problem. I'd normally openly oppose these people in their own threads, but I once got indirectly reminded that a moderator was on their side, which is actually the time I chose to drop script forum activity period.

A_Li_N

Knight
PerfectWing said:
(In all fairness this has nothing to do with the community, other than it's become relatively stagnant without any real new content lately.)
Amen to that.
sidsid said:
"zOMG STFU! If you ask it wont be released! Devs dont like people to be curious about their product. NOOB!"
And that.

OKD uses Phantom and the entire aura of 'Phantom' simply because Phantom is the most widely known name, and probably because OKD simply hates Phantom (from what I read in their replies to each other).

I'm working on things less and less lately for a few reasons. The main one is probably because I just don't really care much anymore, which is mainly in part of there being a new release coming 'soon' that's been coming 'soon' for well over 3 months now. I know this has been discusses in multitudes, but I simply don't care all around. I have a lot of ideas that come into my head (as a few of you well know) but I just can't seem to care to continue work on something that seems so stagnate. There are, of course, many more reasons that I am not working as much as I used to, but they don't have anything to do with RunUO or this community.

*ponders where he lies in this community*

Celestria

Wanderer
I was having problems with adding Stat and skill caps to character creation. I did a search read for about an hour and a half. I came up with 3 different answers that were all conflicting and made no sense. So I posted for some extra help, explained that I already searched, and that I tried with no avail. The responses I got were, "this is a waste of space", and "oooh I did a search and here it it that was soooo hard." What was the freaking point of those posts?

Now I did get help from the last post that gave me a link, but only because the person pointed me in the direction of the correct way out of the three ways I found. But why couldn't they have said, this is the post you should be looking at, and Good Luck? No, they had to be demeaning. And I am supposed to be greatful? If they want respect they will quit trading their information for the right to flame your intelligence. Otherwise it will be a neutral transaction.

This is they type of example being talked about. This attitude is unacceptable, and needs to stop. So yeah Phantom is only the face of the problem, but he isn't the whole problem at all.

Sunshine

Wanderer
Being one of the stupid idiots who do not know C sharp but desire to learn it ( I am old and slow ), I thank you for casting light on what I thought was the acceptable norm.

I have in the past attempted to learn but being flamed because you do not know is not a good way to learn. I was left walking away feeling "less than" because my choosen field of study was not c#, made me feel it was hopeless. I am a college graduate but was made to feel moronic at times.

There are some VERY nice people here who often try to help but they, I guess, get worn out or loose hope when flames are left as replies when people ask for help.

I am sure there will be flames for this post..

THANK YOU for being the voice of the stupid idots like me

Yiffi

Wanderer
A few points I have to make, just because.

I hope the community turns around for good. That would be fantastic, but I don't bet on it all happening all at once or at all without some serious changes in how it is run. FAQ would be a start and a lovely thing, I know I would find it helpful.

I also hope that people can realize that not everyone and their mother were born or even meant to become scriptors. I will never be a scriptor, I am an artist and a writer. I create, not code.

Do I want to run a shard, hell yes. Most responses would be that I shouldn't. If your not a mountain man, should you go camping. If you don't want to be an english literature professor with 5 top seller books out each year should you learn to read a book? And if you don't want to be a dentist should you use toothpaste and a toothbrush? you could hurt yourself!!

Not all of us want it all. Not each of us want 500+ players with the fame and glory of it. Not everyone wants to outdo OSI. Some of us have smaller dreams. Like a dozen or so players that can start a community where people get along. And some of us would just like to know how in the hell do I make a script that will let players choose the color of their pet or how to add stuff to a crafting menu. Etc...

We are the newbs, the idiots, the ones that don't ask because we are not the uber scriptors and never will be. Though I wonder how many of those scriptors really are worth their salt. There is bragging about it and then there is the reality of it.

Now the other side of the coin, people shouldn't want and demand every little damned thing done for them and expect praise when they make a script that changes the hue and props of a sword. You can share without expecting a waterfall of people congratulating you.

And the never ending phantom issue. Why is he always an issue or an example. I respect this post. But it makes me question why in the hell not tell him to stop on one of the posts where he does these kind of responses. Or others do these kind of responses. With a simple, we don't need that kind of attitude here please show curtiosy to all that come. Or something like that? Instead of a big production where everyone can jump on a bandwagon and vote yah or nah.

Maybe its not what you intended Dev, to point out Phantom and single him out. I agree he is one that keeps me from posting some questions here. And the whole attitude stinks. But I don't think I would like to be in his place. I think I would be pissed if I saw this and was him. And I don't think I would come up with a cool head on this one.

Oh man I would really really hate to see a post about the idea of the community enter into another eternal endless battle of phantom bashing and defending. It's becoming a mini cold war!

Joeku

Lord
We need 10 more full-time forum mods and stricter rules. No offense but our current moderators don't really take a lot of time to "moderate", which is their job. The only threads that I see our mods moderating are ones that they start or ones that have been reported. With a community of 50000+ users, we need more than 4 active forum moderators. The mods need to take the time to read each thread, or at least glance, to make sure that the post isn't against the rules. If it's a newb that posts a request or a double-post, then the mod can catch it in time instead of the newb getting stomped on by the community 'trolls. If it's someone that spams or replies with a flame/unhelpful answer, the mod can give the user a warning, delete his/her post, or whatever it takes until he/she stops.

Seriously, we need more mods. Most of the reason why members try to moderate the forums is because the mods don't do it.

LordHogFred

Knight
Joeku said:
We need 10 more full-time forum mods and stricter rules. No offense but our current moderators don't really take a lot of time to "moderate", which is their job. The only threads that I see our mods moderating are ones that they start or ones that have been reported. With a community of 50000+ users, we need more than 4 active forum moderators. The mods need to take the time to read each thread, or at least glance, to make sure that the post isn't against the rules. If it's a newb that posts a request or a double-post, then the mod can catch it in time instead of the newb getting stomped on by the community 'trolls. If it's someone that spams or replies with a flame/unhelpful answer, the mod can give the user a warning, delete his/her post, or whatever it takes until he/she stops.

Seriously, we need more mods. Most of the reason why members try to moderate the forums is because the mods don't do it.

The sad thing about this is that there was a point where we didn't need mods because people were actually nice to each other. I know, it sounds unbelievable now doesn't it. It's just a shame that the community has gone downhill so much that the only solution is to patrol it with more mods. It's only a temporary solution though, 6 months down the line we'll need 20 mods, then 30 mods as more people get pissed off with "stupid n00bs" and "unfair treatment", etc. Unfortunatly I don't think we can really recover from this, at least not without a considerable amount of time.

Joeku

Lord
I believe that, when more mods start patrolling and dealing out punishment for nonsensical behavior, people will gradually begin to stop this behavior. I also believe that more and more people act like this because "everyone else is doing it", but once people stop acting like it then fewer new people will start to act like it.

punt59

Wanderer
Not a mod count issue

2. The forum needs more active mods. I know the ones we have do their job the best they can and people get busy. With a community this big we do need more mods who can sift through each post made.

So, one believes that there are no threads that the behavior that has been described happens, and a mod posted in the same thread afterwards? The fact that no action was taken, yet then the mod was active, challenges the concept that more mods would make a difference (if the same behavior exhibited in those threads were to happen).
It was a mod who started this thread, and used at least one person as an example. Look on those threads with that individual, see if one can find the behavior in question, and see if any mod later posted, and then see if action was taken. The fact the mod posted indicates they where "active". In fact see, if action was taken against those when others spoke against the type of behavior described here!

No, I don't think it is a mod number issue. What is the community standard, and then it needs to be enforced, from all, not rationalized or justified when it goes beyond. That crosses all participants, mods and others.

At the moment, the community standard is what the original poster described. If the community wants to change it, then it is forces inward reflection by all, with the potential of changes throughout (to include mods, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.