RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why I hate RunUO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaroff

RunUO Web Developer
Just read Dev's post.

The funny thing is, If someone not in her respected position had posted this. Think of the flame war that would have started. Just a prime example of this :).

I started as a n00b in the RunUO community back when it was nice. Learned the C# syntax - (was more of a ++/Java guy) and kinda left the forums for that because any questions asked by others usually got shot down.

I occaisionally log on and help people out... :)

If anyone needs minor help just PM me - I usually put it in my threads but yeah there it is again.

Morxeton

Sorceror
Zaroff said:
Just read Dev's post.

The funny thing is, If someone not in her respected position had posted this. Think of the flame war that would have started. Just a prime example of this :).

I started as a n00b in the RunUO community back when it was nice. Learned the C# syntax - (was more of a ++/Java guy) and kinda left the forums for that because any questions asked by others usually got shot down.

I occaisionally log on and help people out... :)

If anyone needs minor help just PM me - I usually put it in my threads but yeah there it is again.
Outkast is a guy :p

Morxeton

Sorceror
Don't feel bad, you're not the first to think Outkast was a girl.

There must be something about his name that just screams :eek: girl :eek:

Zaroff

RunUO Web Developer
Actually I was in the RunUO IRC long ago and I believe I said something that resulted in one of the RunUO Dev's replying Outkast is a she... long time ago though. I am stopping here as it is way off topic.

Zaroff

RunUO Web Developer
Well then again this IS starbucks - the off topic forum... :p

Yeah I remember that - that was with the old RunUO site.. .with the gears as the logo

Nice shard Viago just checked it out. I like your Idea of levels alot.

Morxeton said:
Outkast is a guy :p
ROFL!!!

Anywho... I've tried to help people in the past, but usually someone else oblitterates my help with the exact response or something... Or my help is wrong. Lately, i've only been coming here if I'm REALLY stuck on something (a few times, like my races for instance... Which I still gotta edit so it'll be working for public :p). So... I've noticed how I come and check RunUO less often as the years pass. I still check like, once a week or so though... Nowhere near enough to actually help anyone.

Drull

Wanderer
Know what might really help? bring back the FAQ forum. That thing was VERY helpfull, and answered most if not all of the basic questions, and you didn't have to search for it. All the topics were just there, and easy to understand.

Viago

Knight
Zaroff said:
Well then again this IS starbucks - the off topic forum... :p

Yeah I remember that - that was with the old RunUO site.. .with the gears as the logo

Nice shard Viago just checked it out. I like your Idea of levels alot.

yea, but lets not talk about that here. ;) and no stealing ideas :p

Zaroff

RunUO Web Developer
Viago said:
yea, but lets not talk about that here. ;) and no stealing ideas :p

Don't worry I have my own Idea of UO :p

Aggreed. Back on topic.

Im out... again if someone needs help just pm me - later

Sleepy Char

Sorceror
I think a large part of the problem (and it IS a problem, throw my name in with those who are glad this has been said) is that some people mis-interpret the rules in some ways, or do the opposite and stick to them too rigidly.

The idea of not giving people the answers straight up is so that people don't come here going HELP I WANT THIS SCRIPT CODE IT FOR ME NOW, but it seems mroe and more like people asking for help are being told "I know where to do what you want but I'm not telling you as you have to work it out for yourself". That or just outright linking to C# websites. Not "This can be done if you have a better understand of the collections concept", just "www.learndotnet.com go learn C# and get back to us".

Another thing which is a problem is incorrect information, especially in the case of putting down suggestions. I too often see "this can't be done" or more worryingly a variation of "This can't be done and you are stupid for thinking it can".

What can we do about it? I personally have been trying not to push the status quo while giving helpful information. If that means saying "change this line" instead of "look in this file", that's fine. I try and keep in mind that I'm replying to help someone with a problem, not pick apart their request.

daat99

Staff member
Drull said:
Know what might really help? bring back the FAQ forum. That thing was VERY helpfull, and answered most if not all of the basic questions, and you didn't have to search for it. All the topics were just there, and easy to understand.
I already asked ryan for it several times in the past even before I became a mod and his reply was basically "it's too much work and I don't have the time atm".
I hope he'll get the time soon :(

Viago

Knight
daat99 said:
I already asked ryan for it several times in the past even before I became a mod and his reply was basically "it's too much work and I don't have the time atm".
I hope he'll get the time soon :(

i think if somone had the time, and patiance to. could probably combine answerd questions into a FAQ, a like Unofficial FAQ

this community has been strong and has grown strong. i think this is a growing paine. some vets have left, and some others have taken thier place. and some others are, branching off and what not. its like a growing paine. we will over come

Sleepy Char

Sorceror
One thing I think would be very useful is a forum for combined tutorials/script releases. The current tutorials we have are all, without exception, brilliant. They're useful and coherant, but at the same time I feel like some of them explain a specific aim (make this happen) rather than a concept (here is how to make an item, you could make it do anything but we will be making it do this).

What I am proposing is a forum where those who have worked on a project can write a little bit about it, even if it's just a simple change. Something like:
"I wanted to add [Item X] to my server, with the ability to give the player [Power Y]. I decided to edit the [Script A] script because that is [Item X]'s point of definition, but after some experimentation found that [Power Y] was best added into [Script B]. I changed [Function D] to..."

You get the idea. The point of it would be that someone could come along and see how other people are coding and get a better idea of what the "right" way to do things is. I could add an item ability probably 10 different ways, 6 of them horribly messy and 2 of them not advisable. All of them would be working code but only two would be the suggested solution, something I might have no idea about until my script is a tangled spaghetti mess. By explaining the rationale behind a script's creation, other people can see what is being done to get a certain effect and why.

Is this perhaps something for another thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.