RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

would this be cool?

Would you like to see a futuristic shard?

• yes

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • no

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • stupidist idea i have ever herd.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • i dont really know or care.

Votes: 13 15.5%

• Total voters

HellRazor

Knight
True.

I've been guilty of this - but for the purposes of what I use it for (a free private UO shard that isn't even finished or public yet) I don't see any harm caused to the creators from it.

But I know full well it's not "mine" and I would never claim credit for it or use it for something that would rob the creators from money, etc. in any way.

Basically I've taken some clothing and similar stuff and changed it to fit a UO paperdoll. So not exactly the same as taking it and using it in a commercial game or publication. Not a whole lot of people are even ever likely to see it. :) I've also made use of some of the custom stuff floating around that uses animations, clothing, etc. from other games like Baldur's Gate, etc.

Malaperth

Wanderer
Nah, I just have bad luck. I had a real old site that I was trying to make some money from, and Playboy didn't appreciate there being scans from their mag on there. I NEVER thought anyone that cared would ever see it.

HellRazor

Knight
Wizards of the Coast is bad for that too. Even fan sites that clearly are promoting AD&D have been sent cease and desists from WOTC for using graphics and material culled from their stuff.

Malaperth

Wanderer
Heh, your morals don't count, the only thing that counts is how upset the person/company that catches you is (IF you're caught, that is).

WarAngel;632420 said:
Probably because it's a shit idea. Have you even stopped to think about how that would actually play out in UO, graphics and programming skill requirements aside? It would literally be the most worthless thing ever because the gameplay wouldn't fit an environment like UO.
Only the scripts would be moderately hard. But depending on how much you know about both things, it'll be a LOT easier than you think on that note. For the graphics, they're not very hard at all depending on what you need. They may be time consuming, but the custom map would be the most of his worries since it can take a few tries to get it right.

Where did you get the idea that I was against it?
Overall post just seemed to be on the offensive side. So, I guessed you were against the idea! :p

But replacing the majority of the existing artwork is going to prove to be an impossible task.
I would just add hues to make the statics LOOK futuristic. It's actually quite possible. I have a hue that looks like an amazing StarCraft floor when it goes on Sandstone blocks. I was quite shocked about it. Just add some stuff to put their imagination in the right place, and then it'll be working (we hope ;)) Butttt, I think this topic's about MTG, so naturally I'm getting side-tracked :rolleyes: SoOoOoOo, MTG graphics... Goes a MTG server need custom graphics? I'm completely not paying attention anymore...

You can make a lot of changes to UO pretty easily if you keep the basic setting.
But you can still keep the basic setting for a futuristic shard. You just gotta think outside the box :rolleyes:

P.S. And I'm not talking about tossing in a few pieces of clothing, a few weapons, etc. If all you are doing is adding some clothing and guns, you're not really doing much other than putting a few out of place objects into medieval Britannia. Sure, that is easily achievable but I don't think it will make for a very good shard.
Weapons, clothing maybe... Hues would be a main thing. And probably a custom map. But that's just my opinion, you'd be surprised by what some colours can do.

HellRazor

Knight
Nah, I'm not against the idea itself per se (although its not exactly something I would want to play myself) - I'm just trying to comment on the difficulty in pulling it off.

Personally I think trying to achieve a futuristic look by adding a bunch of weird hues would look tacky and really, really cheap.

A futuristic shard would be easy if it was done through a bunch of shortcuts like that, but I don't think the end result will be anything that anyone wants to play.

To make such a dramatic shift in the setting you need to get the players fully immersed, and you can only really do that with all-new systems and graphics. I still think that otherwise it will look like Britannia, just with with crazy hues and some futuristic guns and clothes added to it.

I still think that rather than trying to shoehorn UO into something so dramatically different it would probably be easier to just use one of the third party game engines to make an all-new game. For one thing, using a 3D engine would dramatically simplify the whole issue of artwork since you would only need to create/find models rather than trying to draw thousands and thousands of 2D sprites.

HellRazor;632900 said:
For one thing, using a 3D engine would dramatically simplify the whole issue of artwork since you would only need to create/find models rather than trying to draw thousands and thousands of 2D sprites.
I would so enjoy that... *opens maya/lightwave* :rolleyes:

HellRazor

Knight
Yeah but its not like it was Ultima 7: The Kilrathi Strike Back!

(For the uninformed, Origin created both the Ultima and Wing Commander franchises. As a sort of "in joke", they placed a kilrathi spaceship from Wing Commander as a wreck in a farmer's field. There were also a few other spotty references to the Kilrathi in some of the other Ultima games. )

you can also fly one in one of the earlier ones I've never played...

but tbh, a futristic gam,e using both a modded uo client and runuo sderver isnt a bad idea imho anyways, I just dont think Drizzt is the one for the job. get like 16 artists, 12 coders, and make sure they aren't idiots like yourself and itr could happen.

HellRazor

Knight
Yeah, Ultima 1 and Ultima 2 both had science fiction elements. Of course the graphics back then were pretty primitive. I think a few dozen 16 color sprites was all the artwork consisted of in those early days. :)

HellRazor;633053 said:
Yeah, Ultima 1 and Ultima 2 both had science fiction elements. Of course the graphics back then were pretty primitive. I think a few dozen 16 color sprites was all the artwork consisted of in those early days. :)
yarr do you still have copies of 1-4? I only have 5 - 9, both underworlds and neither of the world of ultimas.

swrayne89

Wanderer
i like the idea

hey, i think this is a good idea. screw what everyone else says, if you wanna make the shard, do it. nobody can tell you otherwise. id definately try it out.

swrayne89

Wanderer
criticism

hey, alil constructive criticism is good for a person, but the guy wants to make a step forward in the development of uo, i say let him. stop bitching about it.