RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

would this be cool?

Would you like to see a futuristic shard?

• yes

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • no

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • stupidist idea i have ever herd.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • i dont really know or care.

Votes: 13 15.5%

• Total voters

Malaperth

Wanderer
Oh, great... just when I start having some fun I'll probably forget about in ten minutes, you want to get it locked...:confused:

HellRazor

Knight
Oh I see. I get it. For this to be acceptable in Starbucks we need to include something about the smell and taste of semen.

Admin Drizzt

Wanderer
well hellrazor once again you have succesfully been a bitch to everyone around you. It might take me a little bit longer but i think i can make it. I have never been rude to anyone who has helped me... I am always thankfull.... I came here a little noobie and now i actually learned a few things from close to everyone here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The basis of his idea sounds easy... Custom map, instead of using the recommended Water to start out, use Stars... Build from there (I believe only grass will transition into stars properly).

The vehicles script is also a good bet. It has 2 of the things you want right there. One of the UO Art websites has art for big-ass guns and the such.

Really, when you think about it. It's just the systems behind the server that you need. The first outline is easy (ish).

where are these big gun art? Also my map screwed up, I succesfully compiled it but theres this little ring around my city thats rocks mixed with snow and grass and dirt, its preety fucked up, I think its because i used a paint brush for my boundrys :p I'll have to go back and fix that....

WarAngel

Wanderer
Admin Drizzt;632214 said:
well hellrazor once again you have succesfully been a bitch to everyone around you.

Let's take a moment to count how many people you equate to. 1. Now let's take a moment to count how many people Icedddragon equates to. 1.

1 + 1 = 2

Total people who have posted in this topic = 17

Everyone around him? Nice math...

It might take me a little bit longer but i think i can make it. I have never been rude to anyone who has helped me... I am always thankfull.... I came here a little noobie and now i actually learned a few things from close to everyone here.

You obviously haven't learned anything if you are saying that it will only take you a "little bit" longer.

HellRazor

Knight
Admin Drizzt;632214 said:
well hellrazor once again you have succesfully been a bitch to everyone around you.

Yeah, but at least I'm not functionally illiterate. How can you ever hope to program an entire server conversion when you can't even remember to capitalize your sentences?

Sigh. And here I thought we had kissed and made up. I even offered you some advice and insight here. I've only been doing this stuff since around '98 or so, you would think you would learn a thing or two from your betters rather than hurl grade school level insults at them. The next thing you know you'll start in with the "your momma" jokes and that will really hurt my feelings. Seeing as how I'm such a sensitive guy.

Drizzt, drizzt, drizzt. Don't make me bitch slap you some more in this thread, you don't need me to make you look stupid, you manage it just fine on your own.

Admin Drizzt

Wanderer
Omg whatever... I don't care for your bitching and im going to make it... It will take me awhile, see i even capitalized my sentences...Lmao, I do appreciate your help though Hellrazor with the Mul editing, ill even give you some credit when i get done.Maybe I won;t even use UO I just liked the view the map gave you and the graphios and everything and I thought it would be cool if I could kind of change UO a bit. I maybe have a too big imagination for this but i will find a way to get it underway.

HellRazor, why are you so against someone making a futuristic server? Holy shit kid, let the man dream. There's enough futuristic art for UO out there for him to EASILY make one. In my opinion, a futuristic server would be easier than a MTG one which someone else was talking about... Reason being is it seems like less scripting, and scripting is harder than patching in my opinion.

WarAngel

Wanderer
IHaveRegistered;632403 said:
HellRazor, why are you so against someone making a futuristic server? Holy shit kid, let the man dream. There's enough futuristic art for UO out there for him to EASILY make one. In my opinion, a futuristic server would be easier than a MTG one which someone else was talking about... Reason being is it seems like less scripting, and scripting is harder than patching in my opinion.

Probably because it's a shit idea. Have you even stopped to think about how that would actually play out in UO, graphics and programming skill requirements aside? It would literally be the most worthless thing ever because the gameplay wouldn't fit an environment like UO.

HellRazor

Knight
IHaveRegistered;632403 said:

Where did you get the idea that I was against it? I'm not against it at all. I think custom shards can be excellent and can really set themselves apart from run-of-the-mill generic shards when done properly. Nothing wrong with a futuristic theme whatsoever. In theory.

And dreams are good too. But sometimes it is helpful for someone to interject a small dose of reality. To do a futuristic shard properly, you would need to change a LOT of stuff. The scripts and the map are the easy part. But replacing the majority of the existing artwork is going to prove to be an impossible task.

So what I am saying is - to do a futuristic shard right (i.e., set in a futuristic setting with all of the stuff being futuristic vs. medieval - meaning terrain, buildings, clothing, armor, weapons, vehicles, creatures, NPCs, etc) - is an extremely difficult thing (and I would say a nearly impossible thing). One single animation alone consists of thousands of individual art frames. In a recent thread Drizzt was having trouble figuring out how to save a bitmap with 256 colors in Photoshop. So lets be a little realistic here.

Thats why my suggestion would be to start smaller, with a medieval themed shard which is more easily molded and changed. You can make a lot of changes to UO pretty easily if you keep the basic setting. It's a lot more achievable then trying to go for a total conversion as your first UO/RunUO related project. Thats all I am saying.

Drizzt asked what we thought and we are telling him. I'm sorry if its not exactly what he wants to hear, but I for one am being honest and giving him an honest opinion based on several years of experience modifying the client and working on a custom shard.

All the other bantering back and forth came as a result of him dropping me a negative karma saying simply "Fuck You". So we went around for a few rounds. But you'll find that aside from that I've made some pretty well-thought out comments and suggestions to him in this thread (and to the other guy in the Magic thread too).

P.S. And I'm not talking about tossing in a few pieces of clothing, a few weapons, etc. If all you are doing is adding some clothing and guns, you're not really doing much other than putting a few out of place objects into medieval Britannia. Sure, that is easily achievable but I don't think it will make for a very good shard.

Admin Drizzt

Wanderer
I never said fuck you in karma...? And i know you think i cant do it, and just because im inexperienced... doesnt mean i can't do it , it will just be a learning process...

HellRazor

Knight
It's not only a matter of experience, its a matter of the amount of labor that is involved - to do it right that is. But I wish you the best of luck on the project, you will need it. If nothing else it can be a learning experience.

Admin Drizzt

Wanderer
Thanks :D, that 3dmodel website i told you about... most of the things i want arent free, lol. So do you know anywhere, where there might be a few futuristic graphics?

HellRazor

Knight
Sure don't, sorry. You might take a look at the web sites of other commercial sci-fi games. Sometimes you can find artwork or 3D rendered graphics that can be modified to fit into UO as clothing, items, etc.

Malaperth

Wanderer
Remember one thing about graphics etc you get from the web. Unless they are specifically marked for the public domain, you have to treat them as copyrighted works. If you use any that are not specifically in the public domain, you must remember that you can be sued and fined. It may be very unlikely to be caught, just something to remember.

HellRazor

Knight
Very true. Unless the artwork is freely redistributable it is owned by someone.

But having said that, the chances of you being sued for using it in a private UO server (which is really just a hobby for most of us) is pretty unlikely. (Even Blizzard's Diablo graphics are in a large number of custom servers and if anyone was going to send a ceast and desist out it would be them). You're really too far under the radar and there aren't really any damages they can sue you for. The worst that is likely to happen is you will get told to remove the artwork. And even that is EXTREMELY unlikely.

Of course there is also the whole moral issue of "stealing" graphics but that's a debate for someone else to take up. :)

Malaperth

Wanderer
Actually, the only reason I pointed that out is that you'd be surprised how many people think that just because they see it, they can use it for whatever they want.