RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

would this be cool?

Would you like to see a futuristic shard?

• yes

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • no

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • stupidist idea i have ever herd.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • i dont really know or care.

Votes: 13 15.5%

• Total voters

Slayer706

Sorceror
It's not that hard yet because you haven't touched on the hard parts yet.

-EDIT- A site about 3D modeling is going to help you with your art for a 2D game free of charge?

Admin Drizzt

Wanderer
they have free samples... and its 3d only because you can lok at the vehicle from all directions, to make the work they have there work for a 2d game you just have to get the directions of uo and save that image and load it into mulpatcher, its actually easy, im aware that i havent gotten to the tough parts yet which include editing the core. And im actually sorry to hellrazor if he accepts it, i guess i caused to much trbl for him and i guess i could forgive him i just wish i could get some support instead of everyone ripping on me for trying something.

Peoharen

Sorceror
IHaveRegistered;631465 said:
Why thank you! :) My shard just so happens to have numerous customs! :D

Alot of shards say that too. If you read the submission threads you'll see those customs they are talking about... :p

Downloading and unzipping stuff can make a custom shard. So is using UOAR to create custom towns. Yeah releases are great and save time, but custom loses it's meaning when hunderds of shards have the same things in them...

@ IHaveRegistered, not saying yours is not. Just pointing out those "other" shards.

Edit - finaly voted. I said no. I'd hate to see a futuristic shard.

Booshnig

Sorceror
stupidist idea i have ever herd.
welcum to ultimet online in da future!... here u can fire lazers if u pick up et plasma rifels agenst robotomongbats

HellRazor

Knight
Admin Drizzt;631641 said:
hell razor you need to go die. The website is called 3dmodelworks.com you little bitch so stfu, also i know how to use mulpatcher, and i have had a shard up for one full year and it got like 11 votes or something, not to great but i did still get one up and running and a lot of people enjoyed it

If you didn't want me bagging on you, maybe you shouldn't have started shit with me in the first place. Ya see, its sort of like your basic junior high school science class, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Think of it as karma, if you will. :) You start shit with someone, expect to get shit back in return. It's not rocket science. Leaving me karma with that incredibly well thought out and insightful insult ("Fuck You") and then telling me (in your best UO kEwLsPeAk) to "stfu" and calling me "a little bitch" don't exactly endear you to me. Especially after I spent some time trying to help you with your MUL editing questions earlier. Playing forum mod and derailing some other guys thread just so you could turn around and start a similar thread is pretty lame too. He was asking for some "support" too and you called it "advertising". Don't do all that and then start crying me a river, "boo hoo I'm a victim why is that nasty HellRazor picking on me".

It's nice that you have a 3D modeling community web site. It's probably quite an accomplishment for you. Just type "3d modeling" into google and you'll probably find a few dozen just like it.

But I don't really care about that, let's talk for a minute about doing a total conversion of UO into a more modern setting.

You may as well just rip the server portion of the core out and start from scratch, beginning with a new client. You are dealing with a game engine and client that is very specifically designed around one particular game, Ultima Online. You'd need to toss out pretty much every existing system in the server.

1 tank, 2 planes, and 5 guns. Using other people's graphics, scripts, and server. Do you really think that's a big accomplishment?

Don't get me wrong, if you think its cool and you want to invest time in it, more power to you. But unless you change just about every piece of art in the client except for possibly the terrain tiles, its still going to look like 1 tank, 2 planes, and 5 guns sitting in the middle of a medieval setting and sticking out like a sore thumb. I imagine it will attract the type of player who will log in, play around for 10 minutes or so going "kewl" shooting the gun and driving the tank, and then logging off never to be seen again.

And to be quite honest, based on the questions I've seen you post here and over at Orbsydia, and judging from your level of maturity, I don't think you are up to the task. But if it makes you feel any better, I seriously doubt there is ANYONE here up to that task.

Peoharen;631680 said:
IHaveRegistered, not saying yours is not. Just pointing out those "other" shards.
Yea, some are absolutely amazing when you look at it. I'm still trying, but damn some of the patch-work is boring! lmao

Admin Drizzt

Wanderer
Well Hellrazor, when you say it like that it does kinda seem... i dont know out there. But i think i can do it. And i didnt start this thread after the MTG thread. His original posts were asking for epolpe to staff on his shard i pmed him telling him to change it and he did, then it made me look like an idiot because my thread still said advertising, for the record he was...

not at all. I think, if properly implemented a futuristic shard would be awesome. I just don't think you hasve the know how and dedication to do it properly based on what youve said in this thread.

Nott32

Wanderer
I think it is a good idea, as UO really doesn't get much different the medevil style or something to do with spells lol

Peoharen;631268 said:
Examples.
Those shards have had more time spent creating them then I have slept in the last nine weeks.

Maybe you should get some sleep?!?

~Nott32

The basis of his idea sounds easy... Custom map, instead of using the recommended Water to start out, use Stars... Build from there (I believe only grass will transition into stars properly).

The vehicles script is also a good bet. It has 2 of the things you want right there. One of the UO Art websites has art for big-ass guns and the such.

Really, when you think about it. It's just the systems behind the server that you need. The first outline is easy (ish).

HellRazor

Knight
Admin Drizzt;631765 said:
so are you guys saying, a tricked out medievl shard would be better?

Not necessarily "better". But probably a lot more achievable since you wouldn't have to redo EVERYTHING from scratch. Since the general setting is the same (medieval) you can keep what is there already and add to it or modify it to suit your needs, you wouldn't need to replace everything.

A futuristic shard is certainly possible - but without re-doing pretty much 90% of the artwork and 90% of the server scripts it's going to look like you just added some guns and tanks to medieval Europe. I think replacing all of the UO artwork alone is such a challenge that you would never see the project reaching completion without a very large team of artists who are also familiar with the UO client, the file structures, how everything flows together, etc. (And we haven't even talked about the huge challenge it would be to basically build all of the server scripts from scratch to suite the new gaming environment and systems, etc.)

(Not to mention the difficulty of making the UO client more suitable for a futuristic type shard which may present a whole new bunch of challenges).

You'd almost be better off just creating a new game using a 3D engine.

HellRazor

Knight
Karma Idiot said:
I disagree with facsist view over this extremely sensitive topic! -Ewin Sime.

I'd take that karma hit a lot more seriously if it came from someone who knew the actual definitions of words. Or who had the balls to sign it with a real user name that actually exists on these forums.

Crawl on back to your hole coward! Your reputation isn't high enough to have an impact. :p

Icedddragon

Wanderer
Hell! forum hijacker:p id neg you for hijacking but i gave you pos karma at some earlier time, probably forgot to sign it tho, shoulda started a call out thread or something.
Anyway drizzt it would be easier to make a medieval server, and alot less time.

HellRazor

Knight
Icedddragon;632082 said:
Hell! forum hijacker:p id neg you for hijacking but i gave you pos karma at some earlier time, probably forgot to sign it tho, shoulda started a call out thread or something.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm one of the only people posting anything of any intelligence in this thread.

"Call out" threads are prohibited by the rules assmunch, you should read them.

You and Drizzt should get together, you seem to be cut from the same mold. Why don't you two hook up and make a 100% conversion of UO into a Magic the Gathering/Science Fiction/Pokoman shard.

Jeeze, to think I was defending you against the crap Drizzt posted in your thread earlier.

I have an idea. Both of you can blow me.

* AB, my head explodes right next to yours *

Icedddragon;632082 said:

your sig said:
Burning Venganc
*Vengance tbh