RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For Your Consideration

WarAngel

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK;694218 said:
You are an excellent ad hominem debater.

As are you. :)

I boiled your post down some. Unfortunately, 25% of our prison population nationally is composed of illegals who have committed some additional crime beyond coming into the country.

Like Courageous said, that number is totally ridiculous.

So, to say that all these people want to do is come here and get a job and work hard...is patently absurd. Some of them certainly do. Some of them are hard-working driven individuals that characterize the American self-sufficient ethos much better than most Americans do. However, a significantly large portion of these people are, frankly, criminals any way you slice it.

No, they are criminals in YOUR mind. How you feel about other people does not make them criminal, however. Sucks, I know.

I'm not terribly fond of living in a country that criminals can flock to, and easily gain entrance into. I'm sure there are many others that feel the same way. And then to grant all these possibly millions of criminals immediate citizenship? That makes no sense at all.

Xenophobia, thanks. Everyone else in the world ISN'T a criminal, no matter how much you wish to think of them as or how many stats you make up.

Sure, nobody "won" when the immigration bill died. But the only people that lost were idiots to begin with (and yes, that includes President Bush).

So you admit that you were an idiot to begin with also? Interesting.

And before you can reply and try to say you weren't one who lost, maybe you fail to realize that without any bill passing, millions more illegal immigrants can enter the US without any real consequence. I'd say that is a loss for EVERYONE.

crackrat

Wanderer
Courageous;694225 said:
What's the source for your prison population statistic? The US Bureau of Justice Statistics (part of the Department of Justice), says this:

"About 4% of State prison inmates were not U.S. citizens at yearend 2001."

At first glance, therefore, your 25% figure would appear to be impossible.

Source: Bureau of Justice Statistics Criminal Offenders Statistics

C//

from same report: 17% of all federal prisoners are non citizens. the rate of illegals in state institutions in border states is an average of 30% and in california possibly as much as 51%(California reported numbers on three different reports that don't jive with one another) if you like a better picture look at reports from the govt accountability office as they have had question to the validity of govt figuires and also have released thier own figuires that are even higher than what has been quoted.

Courageous

Wanderer
crackrat;694304 said:
from same report: 17% of all federal prisoners are non citizens.

Link me. That's not on the page I referenced.

...border states is an average of 30% and in california possibly as much as 51%

Likewise for the above. Not on the page I referenced. Source please.

C//

crackrat

Wanderer
actualy it is the very same report as you linked only 2005
its a side link of that page. the whole report is like 60 pages long
ide link but figuire that it easy enough to find by a google.

edit: just becuase

looking for the link now it was basicaly this report as given to the congress in 2005

heres some other information of interest until i find which one of the judicial reports actually stated the numbers.GAO-05-337R, Information on Criminal Aliens Incarcerated in Federal and State Prisons and Local Jails

also this whole page of links is good reading GAO

crackrat

Wanderer
Im sorry in an earlier post i mis quoted some data: of the 267,00 incarcerated non citizen in either state prisons or federal prisons 30%of them are incarcerated in border states. of those states California has 51 % of that load. it may sound a little less scary but in truth it is concidering the added costs to just our overburdened legal system. bright side we are number one in something, the most incarcerated in the world. second to no one.

to get a little more back on original track I think it was an appropriate statement that Howard made to the situation he and the Australian people have had going on with the problems that AUS is having with its immigration system. some Americans may not agree with him(most would need a good lesson in Australian history and govt. to be able to understand) but like it our not its the Australians problem and it their way within the confines of their traditions and laws. I hope they can resolve their issues easily without totally affecting their diverse population(one in four Australians is an immigrant) . I would actually commend Howard on what he said knowing the situation and the nation.

I admire the conviction of Howard and his statement. It would be refreshing to hear any member of our govt speak as frankly and with as much conviction. TBH the last 4 presidents and their respective staffs and houses have pretty much failed when it comes to enforcement our immigration policies and borders and hence the issues we have now. It is not the fact that the system is broken, its simply not being enforced. while we can protect the borders of Korea, Vietnam and other 'hot spots' around the world(most of which we have made or at least have had part in making) we cant seem to even think about protecting our own borders. we loose our own rights though homeland security acts of our own govt. while they help 7-10-12-20 million people get rights they have not earned or tried to earn. as matter of fact our own govt has taken the lack of borders to new levels with multi country agreements, the American peoples thoughts or well being was never even considered.

As to 'The Bill' I'm glad it didn't pass, a bad bill is not better than no bill. all 300-400 pages of this bill SUXED. it wasn't just the amnesty parts,the 'z' visas, the 'touchback' immigration. it was the whole bill(and yes i sat down and read every rotten stinking page). it was ill concieved bandaid to a huge problem that has been out of control for 2-3 decades(some might say clear back to the Kennedy administration). The govt has not been doing its job, serving the wellbeing of its nation,or its people. unfortunately its only one of 4 or five major issues that this country has ignored for an almost equally long time and they are all catching up with us fast. while watching the events in the senate while the bill was active literally sickened me. at one point they were trying to vote upon amendments that were not even posted, were rushing though amendments that deserved more attention, and tried to pass in some cases amendments that were constitutionally garbage to the rights of both legal immigrants and Americans. I'm not a law major but it is obvious to at least me that many of our law makers are not either. as to the effects that all this piss poor govt handling has cost,or will cost in the future really is determined by how long our spineless politition's take in deciding to enforce laws that are already the most liberal laws of their nature in the world. more liberal than the laws from our biggest violators. ill say in conclusion that America won with the failing of this bill it was not ready and it was not even close to proper legislation.

honestly from my exposure of the immigration system(I have been though it) it is not broken, its overworked, its stressed beyond belief,its underfunded and its been ignored by a large percentage of people now living illegally in this country.

people say that it takes 10 years to become a citizen. 'News flash' it pretty much has been since the early 60's. once you sign papers there is a grace period where the candidate is screened by personal interviews, criminal background checks involving the country of origin. these checks also include a full medical exam and shots for several different diseases to ensure that the applicant is not infectious to the general population. during this time the applicant is usually is given the right to work and live here, they do not receive any s.s benefits or or acquire any time towards retirement benefits.they are taxed.they should generally have a sponsor that makes a min 25-28k a year or a guarantee of steady work(there are 6 different guest worker programs currently). they must also attend classes to speak the language of English if they are already not at least semi fluent. this period is currently 1/2 to 3 1/2 years depending on circumstances and paperwork filed. the paperwork to file for a green card costs an average of 1200-3000 dollars (about equal to what a smugglers charges to ride into the us and illegal papers)

after a person receives a 'Alien resident' card, citizenship is still not guaranteed. for a period of 7 years (iirc) the subject must keep their nose clean (this means no drug or alcohol offenses, no domestic violence,no baby raping, and no major infractions to any state or federal law) they may then go and apply for citizenship. that cost is roughly another 3000 dollars and after filing you go back though pretty much every check that one would go though to get a green card as well as a swearing to their loyalty to America.

while i was going though the immigration process with my wife, we went to the immigration services 6 times for interviews and paperwork filings. during this time i saw that many never had to show up as they had lawyers to handle most of their visits for them. While going to the third busiest immigration dept in the country and spending many hours in line (usually talking to others that had to walk the same walk), i noticed very few immigrants from South America or Mexico. I did meet many fine folks from Canada, England. Northern Europe, and South Vietnam. maybe it was just the days i went or the weather but only about 3-7% of the lines i sat in were of the nationality of the main violators of our countries immigration laws.

InOverMyHead

Sorceror
Crackrat, I wonder why it took you and your wife 7 years to become legal citizens of this country and it took that woman I talked about earlier only 5 years to become a legal citezen of this country?

WarAngel

Wanderer
InOverMyHead;694387 said:
Crackrat, I wonder why it took you and your wife 7 years to become legal citizens of this country and it took that woman I talked about earlier only 5 years to become a legal citezen of this country?

Read my last post in response to you and reply to it. I'm not letting you ignore points I know you'll struggle to bullshit your way around anymore.

Courageous

Wanderer
Crackrat,

I've considered the matter, and here's my conclusion:

Federal prisons hold prisoners for federal crimes. State prisons hold prisoners for state crimes. State crimes are inclusive of most crimes that are likely to be of interest to us, ranging all the way from murder down to various kinds of property crimes. For example, illegal immigration is itself a federal crime, not a state crime. Conversely, virtually all forms of murder are states crimes and not federal crimes.

With the Bureau of Justice statement "about 4% of State prison inmates were not U.S. citizens at yearend 2001," the statement "25% of our prison population nationally is composed of illegals who have committed some additional crime beyond coming into the country" would appear to be impossible on its face.

The statement that "17% of all federal prisoners are non citizens," while you cannot be bothered to source us with, I can take or leave. It appears to be a distraction in any case. One could see that (the federal crime of) illegal immigration is sufficiently large enough enough to be 17% of federal prisons, yes. While possibly a problem in and of itself, I see this as having no bearing on previous comments made.

C//

crackrat

Wanderer
InOverMyHead;694387 said:

well actually I quoted to 7 year period from INS time line. my wife chose not to become a citizen because in between AUS and America there are agreements that seem to rule out the ability of duel citizenship. INS may have in the last 7 years made the time line shorter for citizenship for some countries. also i believe you can file directly for citizenship now, cutting the time down some. The 10 plus year wait so many have heard about is pretty much a myth started by pro amnesty proponents of the bill. there are many myths surrounding this bill on both sides of the fence.

I am a natural born citizen of America. Also i am currently in the migration process of AUS as I want to live there. You may question why? well i went to AUS for a period and fell in love with the country and its people and their ways. I hope to hear good news about such this next year as their process is somat harder than the US process and I was forced to file from here. the only issue so far with my migration is that im over 45 years of age which is a cutoff age in their process to the best of my knowledge the US doesn't have such a law but does use age as a determining factor.

WarAngel

Wanderer
crackrat;694407 said:
The 10 plus year wait so many have heard about is pretty much a myth started by pro amnesty proponents of the bill. there are many myths surrounding this bill on both sides of the fence.

Damn. Even newspapers have been infiltrated. All of those filthy stories about immigrants having to wait 10+ years to gain entrance to a backlogged system are lies, I knew it!

On a serious note, do you have ANY evidence whatsoever to prove all of these stories false? Both sides of the issue have no problem admitting that the system is terribly backlogged, yet you seem to think that a backlogged system won't actually lead to delay. Interesting logic, I guess.

Anyway, time for my declaration. The stories about 10-year+ wait stories being myths are actually themselves myths started by anti-amnesty groups! It is fact because I have declared it so!

Courageous

Wanderer
This whole immigration problem could be solved if we just annexed all of Latin America like I've been thinking we ought to all along.

*arr arr*

C//

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Courageous;694409 said:
This whole immigration problem could be solved if we just annexed all of Latin America like I've been thinking we ought to all along.

*arr arr*

C//

lol. That would work out really well.

crackrat

Wanderer
Courageous;694405 said:
Crackrat,

I've considered the matter, and here's my conclusion:

Federal prisons hold prisoners for federal crimes. State prisons hold prisoners for state crimes. State crimes are inclusive of most crimes that are likely to be of interest to us, ranging all the way from murder down to various kinds of property crimes. For example, illegal immigration is itself a federal crime, not a state crime. Conversely, virtually all forms of murder are states crimes and not federal crimes.

With the Bureau of Justice statement "about 4% of State prison inmates were not U.S. citizens at yearend 2001," the statement "25% of our prison population nationally is composed of illegals who have committed some additional crime beyond coming into the country" would appear to be impossible on its face.

The statement that "17% of all federal prisoners are non citizens," while you cannot be bothered to source us with, I can take or leave. It appears to be a distraction in any case. One could see that (the federal crime of) illegal immigration is sufficiently large enough enough to be 17% of federal prisons, yes. While possibly a problem in and of itself, I see this as having no bearing on previous comments made.

C//

sorry the 17% figure comes from the GAO link was actually given. While you may be right some law makers are under the belief that the difference is coming from the fact that in the areas of highest illegal concentration many towns have become sanctuary cities. very recently a bill introduced by rep. Tom Tancredo was overwhelmingly voted for that will cut homeland security aid in these cities as the sancuary city rule set is in direct conflict with homeland security as well as ice operations. personaly i hope other bills will be introduced to cut Social service aid and education aid it is not fair on the American tax payers to pay for such programs in cities that choose to ignore their problems.

I live in a sanctuary city (denver) many things happen here that may cause that number in jail to become much smaller. a few denver examples of this:

1) recently in my town there was a smuggler caught with 13 illegals in his truck. my local police in their infinite wisdom, instead of arresting the whole group they arrested the smuggler and let his cargo go, pointing them all to an area of motels in western denver. later on they deported the smuggler instead of having him serve his sentence for smuggling.

2)many from the swift raids in Greeley were released without being charged so that they could tend to their children(something that I will add would not be the case for most Americans caught with false documents)many were later released with the condition that they appear in court at a later date for their crimes. it is not known at this time how many have resurfaced or been deported as no data has been released on this. It is interesting that the social services dept of weld county has asked for assistance to their program due to increased demand in the days after the raid.

3) recently in Denver we had a man whom was arrested for DUI and then released until court after release they started to realize that he has had several dui's in several states as well as other charges pending.

in California as well as throughout the rest of the united states you will find many cities with this same sanctuary rule set that allows illegals to go free on such crimes as DUI, fraud, and forgery. if you need more California info on sanctuary cities i would suggest looking towards May Wood, San Fransisco and L.A.. as all are sanctuary cities. L.A. has so many laws along this line that the mayor of L.A. has been seen riding in a car that was flying both a American flag and a Mexican flag off of its hood in support of illegals. it is no wonder that California is having issues coming to grip with its problems and continues to plead for govt assistance in the areas of Social Services, Education, and Gang issues

by the way it is myth that you must show proof of citizenship to receive aid. Social Services aid can be gotten with out any proof including s.s. number. many food banks will take what ever i.d. can be given. and in the case of most sanctuary cities the Matricular card is all the proof you need to get both aid and housing it is estimated by i believe the GAO that these costs to our system is in the billions per year.

Courageous

Wanderer
crackrat;694418 said:
sorry the 17% figure comes from the GAO link was actually given.

So you say. But the terms "17%" "17 percent" and "seventeen" never appear on either page linked.

in California as well as throughout the rest of the united states you will find many cities with this same sanctuary rule set that allows illegals to go free on such crimes as DUI, fraud, and forgery.
You mean for ID fraud and forgery, pursuant to their illegal immigration. You don't mean fraud of the typical type. Illegals are let go from DUI's in all States that do so after the fashion that normal citizens are. They are booked and arraigned. Blah blah.

Illegals that are caught with false documentation should be deported on the spot. As for illegals that are in-state, it's really a State issue, not a Federal issue, at that point. That means its for each State to decide... as it should be.

Illegal immigration can easily be shut down. We, collectively, lack the political will. Example:

Imagine there was a law on the books that stated that if I, as a business owner, could identify a competing business owner as unfairly competing with me due to the willful employment of illegal immigrants, and that should I prove my case in court I could recoup at least $100,000. Employment of illegal immigrants for things outside of yard work would cease in the US the day such a law were passed.

C//

p.s. I suspect that if such a law were Federal it would likely be Unconstitutional, however that doesn't seem to stop the Feds these days, now does it?

crackrat

Wanderer
Courageous;694409 said:

*arr arr*

C//
unfortunately, like it or not, its coming in the form of the North American Alliance and the North American Transportation Trilateral agreements. both of these agreements have been signed by Bush and are active at this moment. Bush slipped this though with out the approval of the congress or senate using laws that pertain to presidential power at time of war.

this whole mess btw was started with the NAFTA agreements of previous president Clinton.

TMSTKSBK;694416 said:
lol. That would work out really well.

WarAngel;694402 said:
Read my last post in response to you and reply to it. I'm not letting you ignore points I know you'll struggle to bullshit your way around anymore.
Goes for you too.

Back up this outlandish claim:
TMSTKSBK said:
Unfortunately, 25% of our prison population nationally is composed of illegals who have committed some additional crime beyond coming into the country.

Everyone here has attacked that ridiculous number, back it up. You do this all the time, when you are found to be wrong, you change the subject.