RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In preperation for upcoming events...

Joeku

Lord
Rhexis said:
Your siggy isnt messed up, the cell that contains your avatar/etc is taller than the cell that holds your post&sig...so to fill the void theres excess space added under your sig. Go look where you made a long post (like your addition to the faq forum), and you'll see the excess space isnt present. Mm..I think Im rambling.

Prolly fixable by having align="bottom" added to the siggy template I would think..dunno..never fiddled vBulletin before ;p
Thanks for stopping me from going insane. I was wondering why it only happened on some of my posts :rolleyes:

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Ankhesentapemkah said:
vBulletin is overpriced trash, and I know one of the developers of it. Dirty tactics to wring out people's money, grrr!

If there's one thing to change on this site, it's the forum software.

You're an idiot.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Arcanus said:
I use phpBB It's a great forum, it's free, tons of mods and skins. Easy to use, secure and always great support.

phpBB is the only project that I know that is vaporware on the "next release".

phpBB 2 was announced HOW MANY YEARS AGO??? STILL NOTHING.

At least its only been just over a year since our last release, but we have something to show for it.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Ryan said:

At least its only been just over a year since our last release, but we have something to show for it.

phpBB 2 was being worked on when RunUO started :)

Because I was using, and stop using it once I found IPB, that was only because it was free at the time I was looking for an alternative. I think I decided to buy IPB the minute phpBB 2 was still being worked on for a year and a half. I happen to know how long because I started to use IPB around Beta 8 which was only a few months into the project.

Actually it was the minute IPB went on sale, but thats another story. Vbulletin is just as good as IPB perhaps better, all depends on the use I suppose.

vBulletin is overpriced trash, and I know one of the developers of it. Dirty tactics to wring out people's money, grrr!

You shouldn't say things you know to be false, you might regret it someday.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Arcanus said:
I use phpBB It's a great forum, it's free, tons of mods and skins. Easy to use, secure and always great support.

phpBB is far from secure, my alternate board was defaced three times when I use it back a few years ago. I was using the most recent release, and did EVERY suggestion to make it secure.

vBulletin has tons of mods and skins, and its more secure then that peice of shit phpBB

Arcanus

Wanderer
Ryan said:

Im not dissing your current forum by any means.

I agree that those guys at phpBB might have fallen short on their promotions but so far things are decently secure and working correctly for the most part. I've been using it for the last 3 years and found wonderful support when it came to needing help.

I figured throwing something out there based on my experiance might have been helpful or at very least handy in some aspects. Sorry If I was wrong.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Arcanus said:

I agree that those guys at phpBB might have fallen short on their promotions but so far things are decently secure and working correctly for the most part. I've been using it for the last 3 years and found wonderful support when it came to needing help.

I figured throwing something out there based on my experiance might have been helpful or at very least handy in some aspects. Sorry If I was wrong.

phpBB could not handle the kind of load this forum uses, Ryan should know, He used it for many many months.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Arcanus said:

Nothing personal.

I've used phpBB for a LONG TIME. We wrote a complete CMS around it for the UOX days.

I'm just not a fan of it and it truely does NOT scale well without major hacking/customizations :( whereas vBulletin does.

Sorry if I was harsh didnt mean to be :\

Arcanus

Wanderer
Nah, no biggie bro. Sounded like ya had a bad day for a minute there :)

I've never really spent much time with VB. Though, I do like the features that come with it, least on this forum anyways. Tell ya the truth, this is one of the few forums I've been on for a time that uses it. As of yet, I havnt seen anything that's "turned me off" on it, so guess you're good to go there. heh

Just curious though. How user friendly is it from an admin standpoint? Whats the availability on additional mods, (adding additional modules and what not) Or is it pretty much standard as it is?

milt

Knight
The admin panel for vBulletin IMO is very nice and easy to use. There are lots of menus, etc to describe what is under the category. It's sort of like PHPBB but I think that it is much better.

stormwolff

Knight
Arcanus said:
Just curious though. How user friendly is it from an admin standpoint? Whats the availability on additional mods, (adding additional modules and what not) Or is it pretty much standard as it is?

IMHO it is very admin friendly. The admin panel is well organized and offers pretyt much every tool in the default config that you would ever need.

The one you see here is very lite on mods. There are lots of mods available check out http://www.vbulletin.org . With 3.5 most mods can be installed using a plugin/product system and require little to no core code changes.

Arcanus

Wanderer
Great. Thanx for the feedback. I'll look into it. I havnt updated phpBB in some time, since updates sometimes are usually minor. Perhaps I'll give it a yank and see if I like it better. If so, who knows, perhaps I'll convert.

stormwolff

Knight
Arcanus said:
Great. Thanx for the feedback. I'll look into it. I havnt updated phpBB in some time, since updates sometimes are usually minor. Perhaps I'll give it a yank and see if I like it better. If so, who knows, perhaps I'll convert.

The only legal way to try it is to buy it. They do have an import script that will import your forum from phpbb as well as other forum scripts if you don't have alot of mods. They also offer pretty decent support if you run into any trouble importing, personally ive imported to VB from phbb twice and invision once and never ran into any trouble.

Arcanus

Wanderer
Yeah I seen that :(

No worries. Still looking over it. If I find that it's better for my needs, I'll go ahead and buy it. The conversion is a relief though. I'd hates to loose specific forums, but I'll do what I have to do to get comfort any day :)

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Arcanus said:
Yeah I seen that :(

No worries. Still looking over it. If I find that it's better for my needs, I'll go ahead and buy it. The conversion is a relief though. I'd hates to loose specific
forums, but I'll do what I have to do to get comfort any day :)

I really hope your not using an illegal version to "try it" because that would be stealing.