RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knives' Chat System

ASKith

Wanderer
aye, nothing negative has happened as a result of this error, but it will be a day or two before i an sub out the scripts to get you your error message, as i am working around my players. i have only one computer at this time , so i have no 'test' server that i can play with (how i so miss that ability)

I have tracked it down to being that it is when there are messages that were sent to people, but they logged off and didn't 'receive' the message yet, and then i reboot the server before they 'receive' the message.

(maybe receive is the wrong word, acknowledge might be a better one. )

I will post the error i get from your new script 3 or 4 posts back as soon as i am able.

Thanks a lot for your support on this, and this script absolutely rocks! (as i just found the option to switch the gump style) :) keep up the excellent work.

kmwill23

Sorceror
If anyone has any comments concerning memory usage or coding style, please provide some feedback! I am always looking for improvements in both areas.

jmschuhmann

Wanderer
Great work, i love this system,
WAs curious though if perhaps you could add a feature that makes region broadcasting, like if you're in brit it only broadcasts to brit, instead of a Global chat, maybe leave global in but allow the option for either or.
thanks a mil for all your hard work

[steel]

Wanderer
kmwill23, will be nice to have option like chat filter but to use time check - if some1 use public chat more than 3 times for 5 sec to ban himself for 5 min.

flowerbudd

Sorceror
how do we get the regional chat to work, perhaps instead of globally just in the region
Also some players and staff have reported that every time world saves, their chat options are reset

kmwill23

Sorceror
I can say nearly 100% that saving won't reset chat options, but I won't discount anything! I'll see if there is any possiblility there. Have you seen any errors that may happen around world saves at all?

I have to decide something about regional chatting. If a player is not within any region, as is common on many areas of the map, should the message be broadcast to others in non regions, or perhaps a messgae displayed stating they aren't in a region?

flowerbudd said:
how do we get the regional chat to work, perhaps instead of globally just in the region
Also some players and staff have reported that every time world saves, their chat options are reset

jmschuhmann

Wanderer
My idea was that only the people within the region could hear the message as in.

[RB / [RegionalBroacast Hello

Check the region say the person using this was in Brit only people in brit will even see or be aware of them saying this. Or dungeons the same way
[RB Help i died and need a res
That way no one around the world can hear them. This is kinda like a chat system from another world (D A o C) anyways was just my idea. thank you

i think it should be a simple.
[RB Blah blah blah...
SendMessage "You are not in a region and cannot use this feature."
or
SendMessage "You can only broadcast within a region."
or
SendMessage "You scream and no one can hear you."

Tannis

Knight
On my shard, I want to allow some players to use the Global function. but when I assign it to them, it still doesnt work for them. They can turn it on and off, and decide what they want to see, but it won't work. Any clue how to fix that?

[steel]

Wanderer
kmwill23, for errors on load and save - i get some crashes every 8-10 days with no crash log and console says file cannot be saved becouse it is changed, when i check save folder there missing preferences dirrectory for chat system. I am not sure that this is from msg&chat system but plz check it, may be unsaved and cnanged files corrupt save. :cool:

kmwill23

Sorceror
In this situation your shard is crashing during saves before it gets to saving the Chat info. It should have produced a crash log though, so unsure about that. Don't worry, it's not the chat system =)

[steel] said:
kmwill23, for errors on load and save - i get some crashes every 8-10 days with no crash log and console says file cannot be saved becouse it is changed, when i check save folder there missing preferences dirrectory for chat system. I am not sure that this is from msg&chat system but plz check it, may be unsaved and cnanged files corrupt save. :cool:

kmwill23

Sorceror
This is an interesting one! As is, global only shows you text from someone of lower access level. Since players are the bottom, a player with Global on won't hear anything =) Oh, what could be the best way to fix...

For you, though I doubt I will include in an update, try this... Find the following in WorldListen.cs

Code:
e.Mobile.AccessLevel >= state.Mobile.AccessLevel

Replace it with:

Code:
e.Mobile.AccessLevel > state.Mobile.AccessLevel

And do it that way.

Tannis said:
On my shard, I want to allow some players to use the Global function. but when I assign it to them, it still doesnt work for them. They can turn it on and off, and decide what they want to see, but it won't work. Any clue how to fix that?

Darsden

Wanderer
This is indeed a great script but could the ability to go invisible on the list be added ?
I mean the ability to disable it is there but i would like to see the ability to make yourself invisible to others but still be able to use the chat feature added.

kmwill23

Sorceror
That's how it originally worked, way back before any release version. It was changed because it didn't make sense to allow someone other than staff to contact other players without those players being able to contact them.

The disable feature is in fact still invis for staff members.

Darsden said:
This is indeed a great script but could the ability to go invisible on the list be added ?
I mean the ability to disable it is there but i would like to see the ability to make yourself invisible to others but still be able to use the chat feature added.

Darsden

Wanderer
what i meant is not that when your invis you can message people but you cant be messaged, what i meant is they just cant see your name on the list.
For example make a 3rd command like [msg where you would follow that by a players name. eg. [msg Darsden and that would bring up the window to type a message to Darsden or something like that. That way people can still message you if your invis. The purpose behind this is so that you can log in and hunt without messages flooding in if u want but can also still see what people are saying and can be contacted.Also this would make sending a message to a particular person easier.

kmwill23

Sorceror
There is already a command like this =)

[pm <name>

I can see changing this to allow free Pming while chat is disabled. I still prefer that if it is disabled, the player won't be able to access the other functions =)

Darsden said:
what i meant is not that when your invis you can message people but you cant be messaged, what i meant is they just cant see your name on the list.
For example make a 3rd command like [msg where you would follow that by a players name. eg. [msg Darsden and that would bring up the window to type a message to Darsden or something like that. That way people can still message you if your invis. The purpose behind this is so that you can log in and hunt without messages flooding in if u want but can also still see what people are saying and can be contacted.Also this would make sending a message to a particular person easier.

Darsden

Wanderer
I dont mean change disable in any way, leave it as is. What i mean is add another button to turn you invisible. This just removes your name from the chat list but you still have all the chat functions like see messages people send and recieve messages sent to you.

kmwill23

Sorceror
For the sake of equality, if a player choses not to be listed on this list it is only fair they not have access to that list. That is the way it shall remain for my release versions, nor do I plan on ading it as an option. Thanks for the suggestion, and do feel free to change it if you wish. Just not my releases =)