RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Nobel Peace Prize

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzk90

Lord
I figured you guys would be using it to keep your bbq warm...life will be fine in the ice age...especially for everyone not living in the modern world.

Rosetta

Wanderer
DontdroptheSOAD and bzk90 what are you guys taking? I might consider buying some because this has got to be some good shit!

I have not heard a disagreement like this except when I watched two potheads try to figure out where clouds come from and both potheads were so sure they knew what they were talking about.

-Walmart will stay open for thousands of years and will be saving use from an Ice Age.

-Glaciers will quickly (nothing moves faster than a glacier) eat away the farmland and we all be too hungry to go to work, so walmart closes. And all out war breaks out over yet more oil!

-Some people will still be able to afford tinfoil to wear as hats to save us from the incoming alien invasion. While others will sit under their warm blankets and feel smug about how much they aren't like the tinfoil wearing fools.

-Tinfoil wearing people will sometimes sell their special hats for really good BBQ because they have a bad case of the munchies. The Glaciers came and took the farmland, so they are very hungry. And will let the aliens come and kill them for some good steak! Last meal!

*blinks*

bzk90

Lord
My mistake...don't see why you would say a notion was "retarded" when said notion was never anyones point. It is still absurd to think that we can just turn on the heaters and get some walmart blankets and all will be fine...

bzk90

Lord
Rosetta;718418 said:
DontdroptheSOAD and bzk90 what are you guys taking? I might consider buying some because this has got to be some good shit!

I have not heard a disagreement like this except when I watched two potheads try to figure out where clouds come from and both potheads were so sure they knew what they were talking about.

-Walmart will stay open for thousands of years and will be saving use from an Ice Age.

-Glaciers will quickly (nothing moves faster than a glacier) eat away the farmland and we all be too hungry to go to work, so walmart closes. And all out war breaks out over yet more oil!

-Some people will still be able to afford tinfoil to wear as hats to save us from the incoming alien invasion. While others will sit under their warm blankets and feel smug about how much they aren't like the tinfoil wearing fools.

-Tinfoil wearing people will sometimes sell their special hats for really good BBQ because they have a bad case of the munchies. The Glaciers came and took the farmland, so they are very hungry. And will let the aliens come and kill them for some good steak! Last meal!

*blinks*
best post ever

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Rosetta;718413 said:
Do you read a lot of science?...
TLDR.

...Do you?

If you did, you certainly wouldn't be advocating a crackpot "theory" like Global Warming (note the capitals, please).

Surrender your soul. People seem to think that just because someone draws out the occurrence of something over *illions of years, it becomes more plausible. Sure, there was (is?) an ice age. If what you're saying is true, then who cares? Next warm period is after my great-grandchildren to the nth generation are dead and gone.

Ortanith

Wanderer
So it went from Al gore winning the Nobel Peace prize to how the ice age would or would not wipe us out.
Human beings are fragile creatures we are not rugged survivors as so many would like to believe for there egos something as simple as the carbon dioxide levels dropping oh lets say 25% could wipe out roughly 50% of life on earth.

Rosetta

Wanderer
From what I understand:
One of you believes in the everlasting presence of wal-mart while the other believes that global Warming is a fraud but that the ice age will come quickly and with a vengeance.

oiii88

Sorceror
After suffering major ice storms over the last few years in my state and seeing how long it took for just the local infrastructure to recover . I would hate to see what kind of hell a mini ice age would bring.

Ortanith

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK;718421 said:
TLDR.

...Do you?

If you did, you certainly wouldn't be advocating a crackpot "theory" like Global Warming (note the capitals, please).

Yeah because a coalition of UN scientists are just a bunch of crack pots
but thats ok your god said you could rape the environment and not worry about what effects that would have

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
My posts had nothing to do with walmart. They were about the availability/abundance of technology compared to say... the last ice age :rolleyes:

Rosetta

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK;718421 said:
TLDR.

...Do you?

lol yeah I do, and obviously if that was too long you have no clue to even really know what the theory is behind Global Warming.

I will simple it down for you:
Carbon dioxide = Makes climate change
We put Carbon Dioxide in air = Makes climate change faster
Climate change faster = extinction faster

Now surely that can't be too hard for a reasonably intelligent mammal now is it?

Surrender your soul. People seem to think that just because someone draws out the occurrence of something over *illions of years, it becomes more plausible. Sure, there was (is?) an ice age. If what you're saying is true, then who cares? Next warm period is after my great-grandchildren to the nth generation are dead and gone.

You don't understand much about this. It's one thing to disagree with the theory it's another to not even know what you are disagreeing with.

But yup you will have nothing to worry about except some smog, don't let it get to you, let your grandchildren deal with it. You'll be dead, you have no need to even let it concern you.

For the rest of us that want to take care of our children and grandchildren we worry about things like this.

Rosetta

Wanderer
oiii88;718424 said:
After suffering major ice storms over the last few years in my state and seeing how long it took for just the local infrastructure to recover . I would hate to see what kind of hell a mini ice age would bring.

Ice storms are different than glaciers which is the main distinction for an ice age.

But your right Ice storms do cause a hell of a lot of damage.

Ortanith

Wanderer
bzk90;718426 said:
see his earlier post oranith...

Ok I did and I would say a single human has a snow balls chance in hell of affecting climate however change that number to 6 billion and the heavy pollution some of our technology puts out then yes we can.
We can split the atom people have no problem believing that but they have a hard time believing we can create enough pollution to affect the earth.

bzk90

Lord
I was referring to the "Rape the planet" part of your post

tms said -
disclaimer on previous post:
This is not to say we should go out and TRY to pollute. Or that we should NOT try to improve things. But we shouldn't go absolutely apeshit about it, either.

oiii88

Sorceror
Rosetta;718429 said:
Ice storms are different than glaciers which is the main distinction for an ice age.

But your right Ice storms do cause a hell of a lot of damage.

I understand there is a major difference. My comment was aimed at the mention of how technology etc will prevail in the face of a disaster. The last ice storm here took some areas 4 months just to restore power. I couldn't imagine how long a major disaster like a mini ice age would take to recover the basics.. And glaciers didn't play a part i don't believe on the mini ice age that hit Europe in the 14th century i believe it was. there was just a major cold system that destroyed all crops etc.

Ortanith

Wanderer
bzk90;718432 said:
I was referring to the "Rape the planet" part of your post

tms said -
disclaimer on previous post:
This is not to say we should go out and TRY to pollute. Or that we should NOT try to improve things. But we shouldn't go absolutely apeshit about it, either.

ahhh I see what you mean. If we could just do some major reductions on the pollution the planet would recover on its own (out gassing I believe is what it is called) people say the end of the world but what they mean is just our extinction for we are just an irritating rash to this planet and we will soon pass.

Rosetta

Wanderer
oiii88;718433 said:
I understand there is a major difference. My comment was aimed at the mention of how technology etc will prevail in the face of a disaster. The last ice storm here took some areas 4 months just to restore power. I couldn't imagine how long a major disaster like a mini ice age would take to recover the basics.. And glaciers didn't play a part i don't believe on the mini ice age that hit Europe in the 14th century i believe it was. there was just a major cold system that destroyed all crops etc.

Gotcha.
And in response to the Little Ice Age, I will quote Shakespeare words - "There's the rub" there are findings that point to other scientific ideas about regional and global climate changes. Science is fantastic like that. Always learning, always searching, great human spirit.

I did find though that even though it was called "Little Ice Age" it was not really an Ice Age at all. You probably already know that, but this is the first I had read on these particular times in more detail than just a sentence or two.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Oh wow! She understands the concept of greenhouse gases!

Except...humans produce about...what...5% of all greenhouse gases? Including cars, planes, trains, factories and all the other stuff greenies love to rag on.

5%. That's 2% away from margin-of-error nonexistence. So, at absolute most, we produce 8%. At the least, we produce a mere...2%.

Yay simple math.

So basically, the refutation of your "putting it simple" is: Humans don't produce enough carbon dioxide or "greenhouse gas x" to impact the environment substantially.

And "Global Warming" isn't even global. It's hemispheric. The Northern Hemisphere is experiencing a warming trend. The Southern? No, not really.

So the thing is...why is there so much brouhaha about a natural thing? Sure, if it could be proven that "humans are definitely increasing the temperature of the entire globe by 50 degrees per century", THEN we'd have a story. But a regional change of .1 or .2 degrees Fahrenheit is both natural and trivial.

Thank you, go away, silly greenie.

Rosetta;718428 said:
lol yeah I do, and obviously if that was too long you have no clue to even really know what the theory is behind Global Warming.

I will simple it down for you:
Carbon dioxide = Makes climate change
We put Carbon Dioxide in air = Makes climate change faster
Climate change faster = extinction faster

Now surely that can't be too hard for a reasonably intelligent mammal now is it?

You don't understand much about this. It's one thing to disagree with the theory it's another to not even know what you are disagreeing with.

But yup you will have nothing to worry about except some smog, don't let it get to you, let your grandchildren deal with it. You'll be dead, you have no need to even let it concern you.

For the rest of us that want to take care of our children and grandchildren we worry about things like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.