RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ShardPack for RunUO 1.0

Give them options and they choose them wrong. Give them a documentation and they won't read it.

I doubt that any shard without a good administration will be successful - and a good adminstration also knows how to script things or how to work in premade scripts in their current configuration - including knowledge of how to search on this forum. ;)

It is a nice idea that you have, but it will cause many other things like "i don't like this in Shardpack" and "i want to have this included in Shardpack"

If it then goes like the "All Spell System" by A_Li_N then i can see many problems arise:
Packages - or 'modules' like you call them - maybe optional, this is where it becomes complicated for the people. There is no simple "Unzip over your Scripts folder" - for every 'module' you would need another archive if you keep them seperated. But if you do packages like "all in one" "all in one minus this" "everything but that" "only this" it will become a mess for the people. Because they get too many options to choose and they of course will choose the wrong one. ;)

It's a nice idea, and i don't laugh on it. But it won't help people to make better shards. It will help them to get started more easy, that is true. But it will not make any good shards. :)

By the way - if they have all the systems they want, they will ask other questions. And they might refuse to learn how to do it themselves because when someone did this complex system for them, why won't they do other, much simpler things for you?

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Rest assured that we have taken this into account ;)

There is the main pack *THE* ShardPack. After that, it gets much more optional with "ShardPack Recommended Scripts", that you can use to customize your shard however you like.

As for training, we are offering a course via LearnUO in order to give GMs and Admins a chance to familiarize themselves with how the Pack works. The result of the course is a serialized graduation certification, which allows admins that use the ShardPack to see if their GM has completed the course. Finally, we have a shard which demos the ShardPack, so that people can log on and see how the ShardPack is supposed to work.

And for the "not reading documentation"...well screw them...they can go read it or they can not get support.

A_Li_N

Knight
Sotho Tal Ker said:
Give them options and they choose them wrong. Give them a documentation and they won't read it.
That's their choice. At least the options are there and the documentation exists.

Sotho Tal Ker said:
I doubt that any shard without a good administration will be successful - and a good adminstration also knows how to script things or how to work in premade scripts in their current configuration - including knowledge of how to search on this forum. ;)
So very true.

Sotho Tal Ker said:
It is a nice idea that you have, but it will cause many other things like "i don't like this in Shardpack" and "i want to have this included in Shardpack"
That's why we are having options. So they can enable/disable what they want. That's also why we accept comments on what is wanted in the pack. This is not a pack of small things however. It's mainly the major systems that most people would like. Not saying everyone will like everything.

Sotho Tal Ker said:
If it then goes like the "All Spell System" by A_Li_N then i can see many problems arise:
Packages - or 'modules' like you call them - maybe optional, this is where it becomes complicated for the people. There is no simple "Unzip over your Scripts folder" - for every 'module' you would need another archive if you keep them seperated. But if you do packages like "all in one" "all in one minus this" "everything but that" "only this" it will become a mess for the people. Because they get too many options to choose and they of course will choose the wrong one. ;)
I don't know if you just didn't understand what I and my projects are about or what, so let me try to explain some more on this. I try my damnedest to make my systems with as little distro mods as possible. In this effort, I have created a small new system I call Central Memory. The basis of this system is simple. Keep track of things people want to add to 'serialize'. My first module is the IconsModule. This keeps track of where the mobile has their icons for my custom spellbooks. Another couple I can think of are custom Skills or Races. Both of these either require a PlayerMobile mod or some other 'item' to keep track of the values as such. With the Central Memory (CM), you can keep track of them with no PlayerMobile mod or any items in the pack or whatnot. Granted, as it stands now, this is really only a memory system, with very little in the way of 'function changing' ability. Say if you wanted to show the Race of a PlayerMobile under their name. You would have to modify the PM to include entry in the PropertyList or whatever. However, from my experience, the biggest problem people have when editing things (especially the PlayerMobile) is the Ser/Deser. The CM eliminates these problems.

I tend to agree with you about the 'no simple Unzip over the Scripts folder'. That is why I do things the way I do them and try to eliminate any mods I can.

The CM is pretty smart in the fact that you don't have to have a module (system) if you don't want it. The CM itself is stand alone. Modules are exactly that, modules. Additions to the core, so to speak. Whereas my All Spells (AS) system requires the CM, the CM does not require the AS.

Each module does not need a new archive. They are all stored on the CM. Basically it's like this:
CentralMemory - (Houses a hashtable of Serial/ModuleList Key/Values.
ModuleList - Houses a hastable of Type/Module Key/Values
Module - Houses a Serial Owner and whatever else you so desire​
Each module is independant of the other, but all can be accessed pretty much the same way, from one archive.

All-In-One packages or any of the others you mentioned are very easy, since (as stated) the CM is stand alone that easily accepts additions (modules). So if you wanted to include five different systems, each having a unique module, you could. Or if you wanted to include just two of those systems, it's still no problem. The CM itself cares not.

'Too many options' is something that can be dealt with with educating people and answering their questions.

Sotho Tal Ker said:
It's a nice idea, and i don't laugh on it. But it won't help people to make better shards. It will help them to get started more easy, that is true. But it will not make any good shards. :)
This is a very grand statement. 'Will not make any good shards'. That's pretty definitive. The SP is a collection of the best systems that the community has offered, put into one place and supported as well as, if not better than, what we do on the forums. If you state that it will not make any shard good, then that is saying that these systems will not make any shard good. Although, for some reason people download and use them. They like them. I've seen quite a few of them on good shards. I've seen quite a few good shards without them as well. A collection of the best scripts will help a LOT of people make better shards for the simple reason of the systems are all put together, all compatible. They are there already and the admin has no need to go find them and/or mess with them.

Sotho Tal Ker said:
By the way - if they have all the systems they want, they will ask other questions. And they might refuse to learn how to do it themselves because when someone did this complex system for them, why won't they do other, much simpler things for you?
And we'll simply stick to what we have always done in the past. Tell them we don't take requests of that kind. We have all released the big systems and have all dealt with people asking those kinds of questions. It's nothing new.

Guess I'm not the only one who heard about this 'CM system' for the first time.

Of course you must agree, you are working on it. Would be bad if you had different opinions. :p

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Ok so now it's time to say "do you have anything nice to say?". If you do, please say it. If you don't, then pray let me stress over other stuff.

Phantom

Knight
Sotho Tal Ker said:

Of course you must agree, you are working on it. Would be bad if you had different opinions. :p

Do you bring anything to this community but insult the people that try to release scripts to people by your complete and total bs? I mean come on man, if we want to release a "collection" of scripts, don't complain and list all these "What ifs" because its complete garbage till it happens.

A_Li_N

Knight
Sotho Tal Ker said:

Don't know what the first part of this was meant to be, but in reference to the second...
Just because we are all working on something together doesn't mean we have to agree on everything. I can tell you right now that I disagree with a few things about the SP, but we work things out and in the end it's fine.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Okay - the official name for the first ShardPack is ShardPack 1.0 RC0

Phantom and I are hard at work making the correct directory structure for it. See you on Saturday!

//edit:
the official official name is ShardPack 1.0 RC0 - Schnoodle.
...and Phantom is more at work at it than I am.
next release is ShardPack 1.0 - Beagle

A_Li_N

Knight
I just sent my 'final' product in for this release. It's nowhere near what it should/could be and there are a couple bugs that I know of, but they only occur after modifications to the Schools. (Just don't throw all the different schools into one book)

Other than that, there are 4 schools converted for this release:
Bard
Cleric
Druid

I will now start working on some basic documentation for my systems that are in the SP and see what I can come up with by Saturday. Then it'll be time to continue fixing/changing/adding things.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
GAAAH! FORGOT TO SCRIPT THE RELEASE REGISTRATION PAGE!!!! O_O //me gets back to work >_<

yes...I'm writing a light portal/forum/download management software from scratch in two weeks :confused:

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Wheeeee I finished the website.
I shall register the release tonight, and it will be available tomorrow at noon :)

devilstail

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK said:
Wheeeee I finished the website.
I shall register the release tonight, and it will be available tomorrow at noon :)
Sweet guys hats off to ya'll i'v been itchen to get my hands on it:p