RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UO's Next expansion pack...

Hmm is it just me or does it seem that they won't release this expansion in the shop, but that you have to upgrade your OSI account in order to be able to buy a download?

Atomic

Wanderer
It just occured to me why they didn't add other races! Because they have different body sizes and new animations/gumps would be needed.

CEO

Sorceror
Atomic said:
It just occured to me why they didn't add other races! Because they have different body sizes and new animations/gumps would be needed.
Eh? That's no reason at all. Every expansion has included additional artwork that is either patched to existing files or added to the distribution. Don't you recall that huge multi-meg download for UOSE we all had to endure?

Tintamar

Sorceror
I see to many people comparing older Ultimas to Ultima online, comparing story lines and so on. Whats wrong with expanding the story line insted of keeping Ultima the same old thing? So what if there wasnt elves in other Ultimas or Ninjas and so on. This is a continuing game expanding story lines. Open your mind :)
More features we can expand with converting it in to our own :)

nomad707

Knight
Just when i thought UO reached its true death. Good god they are slaughtering UO. I miss the ultima online we all used to play 7 years ago. UO used to be such a fun game, but as the expansions came out, it got worse, and worse. LBR wasnt too bad. AOS killed it all, but i got used to it, UO:SE, is when they lost me as a player.
The silly bastards never cease to amaze me.
-R

nex666

Sorceror
Darkadia said:
Actually the entire Ultima series tried different things and dropped them without warning. Elves came and went, space age weapons came and went, gelatinous slimes came and went. Personally, the first time I played UO, (T2A days), I watched the video, and I recognised the scene they were playing thru... It's the end of Ultima 1, where you kill the invincible Mondain by destroying the gem. Now, the funny part to me was who would ever have used the sword to do the job? The "blaster" worked at a range, and did more damage.

Right. Ultima started out with a spaceship, fighting on the moon, and a readily available weapon called a blaster. And we're worrying about sticking to the medieval fantasy universe feel in UO.

Admittedly I think Gargoyles should have been the new race instead of Elves, since they were made so prevalent in Ultima 6, (or was it 7?). Ultima always had an explorative view of good versus evil, which is why they've strived to make some of the monsters occasionally 'good', such as orcs, trolls, and gargoyles. And don't forget the Avatar using 'evil' magic like necromancy in Ultima 8.

Btw, someone mentioned in the first 3 Ultima games you could play as a hobbit/bobbit... I don't recall this at all in Ultima 1 or Akalabeth. You just existed, race wasn't even brought up.

But you split the gem apart and split all the 4 different parts of the lands into 4, 2 being Sosaria, Britannia when Lord British took over and Serpent Isle.
That bit does NOT make sense :)

Victor

Wanderer
I like having new content in the game and I know a lot of people do to because they are always trying to make custom things for their servers.

Atomic

Wanderer
CEO said:
Eh? That's no reason at all. Every expansion has included additional artwork that is either patched to existing files or added to the distribution. Don't you recall that huge multi-meg download for UOSE we all had to endure?

I wasn't very clear, I meant new gumps/anims for every single wearable item. That a lot of work..

Marak

Sorceror
It cannot be too bad - did i just say that? - actually yes it can be too bad lol - but lets all hope there's something decent up for offer. Stratics has gotten their hands on 9 screenshots, gee the character dolls dont look that much different - new hair styles? *shudders* Although i must say i cannot wait to get my hands on those multi-player spells - thats going to be VERY interesting to play around with. OH and ive seen ppl say both ways - there is a new land and there isnt a new land - anyone sure about this yet?

cfaust

Wanderer
Dilvish said:
Really?!? Which Ultima had Ninjas?

I mentioned that UO wasn't too far out of phase with the expansions; I didn't say it was all in line with the original Ultima, however; the original Ultima Series had so many "hicups" now and again that I would not be surprised to hear there were Samurai and Ninja somewhere in the original series. I don't know everything about it, I'm just now able to get back in to playing the original series.

Brink

Sorceror
big_cat said:
I must say alot of what I have seen here is what was said about SE as well, but for some reason 90% of shards you find on Gateway are running SE, so it can't have been to bad, now I admit it doesn't sound great but I will wait until it is released and I have seen the expansion before I make judgement. Some of the features will be good I think, and as far as elves how many free shards have races? Well we will see how it goes

First off, that's not true because there isn't one shard that has all of the SE details configured and implemented. Also, tell me one shard that has over 200 players and runs UO: SE... The only shards that are getting attention are old-school and that's how it should be. And that is that. ;)

Darkadia

Wanderer
nex666 said:
But you split the gem apart and split all the 4 different parts of the lands into 4, 2 being Sosaria, Britannia when Lord British took over and Serpent Isle.
That bit does NOT make sense :)

Umm, as I recall, the gem split into a seemingly infinite amount of fragments, each one being a "shard", which is how mmorpg servers came to be known as shards, afaik. Also, as far as I knew, Britania was simply Sosaria under Lord British's rule, not a seperate land... Tho I'm not positive how they decided the worlds of Trammel, Malas, Ilshenar and Tokuno came to be when they didn't previously exist.

At this point, however, the game is mostly about PvP and not storyline. They add new lands for house placement, to get more new players who want their own housing. Who cares how the story supposedly goes, they just add new k3wl stuff to entice new players and keep an old game making money.

On a slightly different note, EA's stance on unofficial servers is that they're illegal, and EA is protecting their investment by saying so. I still think that if they really wanted to 'protect their investment', they would create a couple old style shards that disable the new features, since so many posters in this thread seem to hate the 'improvements'.

Thraxus

Sorceror
Don't they already have enough on their plates with the continued development of RunUO? They spend enough of their spare time on this as it is, without adding the workload of a brand new game design onto themselves.

kage1234

Wanderer
If only World of Warcraft wasn't anal about their services then I would suggest RunWoW as UO has become very bloated.

Thraxus

Sorceror
You can't fault Blizzard for wanting to keep their intellectual property from being used without their consent. You don't have to like it, but it doesn't make them "anal".

cfaust

Wanderer
There are two opposing opinions throughout the boards about Old School versus the new; niether opinion is wrong unless it is being forced upon another unwillingly as some would appear to do through out the history of UO.

As I stated; other than LBR and TD I like the expansions; I play in the fake 3-D mode as well, I'm an old timer, as long as EA produced expansions I like, I'll keep purchasing their software; I won't use their servers, but I will keep purchasing the expansions. I have been purchasing the UO software since UO:R, as I was MUDding prior to that, I had folks tell me that UO was better than any old MUD because it had graphics and sound and all that, where as MUDs were all completely text based. My arguement as to why MUDs were far superior to UO were these: 1. MUDs require more interaction. 2. RP is more fluid becuase there are no graphics to hinder what you are really trying to do. 3. Even PvP was more creative because you couldn't just run in and double click and chase a new player and kill them, text based left room for more RP/PvP skill improvement. 4. There were more friendly people in MUDs than there were in UO. 5. It didn't take months for an expansion to come out, and MUD mods were done in an instant because there were no graphics or sound to hinder such.

I support anyone that wants to play Old School, just as much as I would support anyone that wants the expansions to keep coming. I'm a convertee from a text based era of games anyway, so I'm still amazed by the things that keep coming as far as games are concerned.

As far as a project that could use the RunUO teams help, that would be an Everquest Emulator that didn't require SQL. Hell RunUO ran every other UO system in to the ground and stomped on them until they were gasping for pity. They could do the same to any other emulation/system out there, I could almost garuntee that. But, RunUO is a huge undertaking on it's own, they are now supporting Open Source code, LiNUX and possibly 64-bit code on the side; basically they are providing in their own way more than one product which requires much time, effort and attention.