RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why I hate RunUO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
I have posted many many times, trying to help and to change the way people acted on these forums, please also search my previous posts, i feel i have always been very outspoken, but who am i to change the tide? I have never told anyone to search for an answer, or provide them with a trail of breadcrumbs, if i could help, i did so, or i just kept quiet.

Why are you trying to change people, and just not help those in need? The only reason I speak out anymore, is when people do something I am against, like post an exploit proxy program. If a post or action is meant to harm the community, I am going to yell out, but my responses are NOT harming this community. At most they might not be helpful to the people I reply to.

I doubt many even know me, i still care for runuo, and if i could wave my magic wand i would do so, im not going to post just so that i can be flamed by the next "hotshot" that comes along, hell last time i helped someone they flamed me and didnt even think of thanking me, i dont need that in my life, if respected moderators such as Outkast have given up with the community, what hope is there for the rest of us!

Perhaps you were flamed because the way you replied? I know if somebody trys to change me, I would not take it well.

Because of the attitudes of a select group that have nothing better to do than watch this and OTHER forums and comment with no information of ANY value - I have gone to other forums that actually offer help. And evey last one of them has new users that actualy post they came because of the ignorant bullshit answers and attitudes they get here.

I am 50 years old - I am not going to learn C# so don't tell me to learn it, not gonna happen, I am to old for that - but if am actually shown a bit of code that works closely to what I want - I will figure it out and get it to work. But even being told to look at lets say BaseHouse.cs for the answer - give me a break. Dont know what I am looking for - so I probably wont find it. Thats why I am asking for help - go figure.

1 thing about doing a search 19 out of 20 offer no insight. Alot of them only have - do a search as the help. I am only going to read so many posts on the same subject, that dont have a real answer brfore I spin the wheel and try my luck at getting flamed (90% chance) or actually getting guidance (10%) chance. My odds are better at getting a good response than trying to find someone elses post with a respectable response.

jaynigs

Wanderer
Seanchen.net said:
Why are you trying to change people, and just not help those in need? The only reason I speak out anymore, is when people do something I am against, like post an exploit proxy program. If a post or action is meant to harm the community, I am going to yell out, but my responses are NOT harming this community. At most they might not be helpful to the people I reply to.

Perhaps you were flamed because the way you replied? I know if somebody trys to change me, I would not take it well.

No, i simply provided a direct answer to their question but missed a minor detail, the explanation.. which i was editing my post to include. By the time i had done that the person had insulted me lol - anyway, that was a while back and i had almost forgotten about it

Anyway, my point was not to change a person as such, if someone is rude/inpolite they need to be told! Or like i said, domino effect takes place and everyone is rude. If you are polite, eventually the majority are. As soon as someone is rude or abnoxious they stick out like a sore thumb, at the moment someone who is polite does! That cant be right.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
jaynigs said:
No, i simply provided a direct answer to their question but missed a minor detail, the explanation.. which i was editing my post to include. By the time i had done that the person had insulted me lol - anyway, that was a while back and i had almost forgotten about it

You respond to the one section of my post, that didn't require a response...

Because of the attitudes of a select group that have nothing better to do than watch this and OTHER forums and comment with no information of ANY value - I have gone to other forums that actually offer help. And evey last one of them has new users that actualy post they came because of the ignorant bullshit answers and attitudes they get here.

Your welcome to these views, if your talkin about me, then you have missed alot of posts with alot of value. Your also more then welcome to help the situation by helping other people.

You choose to be part of another community, nobody has forced you to do so.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Y'all need to go take a cold shower. Like...90% of you. This thread isn't about anyone in particular (Seanchen, stop taking it like all of it is about you), or even any group of people, it's about the general attitude of the community. So. Meh.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK said:
Y'all need to go take a cold shower. Like...90% of you. This thread isn't about anyone in particular (Seanchen, stop taking it like all of it is about you), it's about the general attitude of the community. So. Meh.

I am not making it about me, I am replying to people who talked about me.

I don't want to talk about me, I want to talk about the flaws of the community, and I have never been the the flaw in the diamond.

Arcanus

Wanderer
Seanchen.net said:
I suppose.

Telling to them read a quote from the rules, shouldn't hurt anyone, if it does then they need to get over it.

You see, thats exactly the kinda thing that got us here in thr first place.

You dont bend to help any cituation. If it's right in your mind, you stick to it and the rest be damned.

That's a really poor reflection. Why isnt it as simple as "Just dont say anything. If you cant say it respectfuly, dont say it at all, dont add you 2 cents if no one is asking for change".

However you look at it, whatever you call it, it's the same thing. Either leave it alone, or simply get singled out every time for prodding someone when it's not warranted.

Why is it so hard to just give some one a little room. No one is perfect, and it' simply isnt "mature" to keep reminding people of their flaws. No matter what name you use, the actions are always the same.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Right nobody is perfect, I am somebody, so why do people remind me of their flaws?

I do not appreciate this rude and personal attack.

Drull

Wanderer
I dunno whats wrong with you people. Nobody specific is to blame, why everyone keeps ragging on one person, is silly.

Things will not change like things are now. Like it or not, try it or don't, but, they won't. People are too set in their ways, their attitude and demeanors.

Steps should be taken to kick the community in the ass, and like we had before (which worked so very well), an FAQ forum would help so much. Posting it all on the wiki, isn't the answer, because being part of the forum (which im sure a TON more people visit regularly), makes it searchable. I don't know about anyone else, but when I had a question, I indeed searched for the answer first. The FAQ section to newbies like me, was a godsend.

Keep in mind I don't use RunUO anymore, but whatever :p

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Drull said:
I dunno whats wrong with you people. Nobody specific is to blame, why everyone keeps ragging on one person, is silly.

Things will not change like things are now. Like it or not, try it or don't, but, they won't. People are too set in their ways, their attitude and demeanors.

Steps should be taken to kick the community in the ass, and like we had before (which worked so very well), an FAQ forum would help so much. Posting it all on the wiki, isn't the answer, because being part of the forum (which im sure a TON more people visit regularly), makes it searchable. I don't know about anyone else, but when I had a question, I indeed searched for the answer first. The FAQ section to newbies like me, was a godsend.

Keep in mind I don't use RunUO anymore, but whatever :p

We can't do that without Ryan, and Ryan is busy.

So it would have to be not part of the forum for it to work.

Celestria

Wanderer
once an FAQ is put up the ONLY thing Ryan would have to do is make it a sticky. I think he could take 10 minutes out of his time to ensure the betterment of the community he created.
I'll go get a chicken and we will do a sacraficial offering to Ryan for blessing. :p

hmmm

Okay i have not posted much what i said was bad i know but yet again to many rules

in school we all went right??

well if yes asking a question toa teacher more then once was okay no onegot yelled at and no one questioned the question itsself not less its a nother student but no one was yelling about it and teacher loved to help dont matter how many times you asked the questions

Think of the devs/mods/scripts as teachers the should help no matter what even if asked for link to something if the say the did a search dont say no you didnt you stupid noob or call thema name send them a linkany way.

if a nother users replys with a bad reply dont bash him dont incourge it just give link be on you way. Now main user may reply say thank you if he bashs that user that bashed him then neither of them is growned up both are kids.

But do not get inbetweem there fight cause that puts you in the middle report it to mod. Mod should warn them both next time seening this should result in a ban for so many days to learn lesson.

Biggest Problem is no one here really is steping up to take charge what happen to are Devs that made this emu shouldnt the be atleast trying to post something or even help users some times even mods/scripts need help a dev should be there as a elder. Phantom is a great person just has bad flaws like all of us no one is perfect. so posting in this thread is not helping us get better now we should be posting in the newbie furom to help the people that need it. Come on people we can do this just think of you self like a teacher. teaching the student :) dont matter how many times he asks keep given him the answer.

well bye again

Greystar

Wanderer
Dragon Slayer said:
Okay i have not posted much what i said was bad i know but yet again to many rules

in school we all went right??

well if yes asking a question toa teacher more then once was okay no onegot yelled at and no one questioned the question itsself not less its a nother student but no one was yelling about it and teacher loved to help dont matter how many times you asked the questions

Think of the devs/mods/scripts as teachers the should help no matter what even if asked for link to something if the say the did a search dont say no you didnt you stupid noob or call thema name send them a linkany way.

if a nother users replys with a bad reply dont bash him dont incourge it just give link be on you way. Now main user may reply say thank you if he bashs that user that bashed him then neither of them is growned up both are kids.

But do not get inbetweem there fight cause that puts you in the middle report it to mod. Mod should warn them both next time seening this should result in a ban for so many days to learn lesson.

Biggest Problem is no one here really is steping up to take charge what happen to are Devs that made this emu shouldnt the be atleast trying to post something or even help users some times even mods/scripts need help a dev should be there as a elder. Phantom is a great person just has bad flaws like all of us no one is perfect. so posting in this thread is not helping us get better now we should be posting in the newbie furom to help the people that need it. Come on people we can do this just think of you self like a teacher. teaching the student :) dont matter how many times he asks keep given him the answer.

well bye again

I am thinking as a teacher. I think as a teacher would lead the students to a library to do a report, not to write the report for them. I agree posting a link to the information would be usefull, then after they tried that and still have errors, post the errors and well help "fix the rough draft" to later turn in A+ work. Think of it in those terms, what you are more referring to is a Tutor who is there to walk you through everything you don't understand. The moderators are here to moderate, move posts from people who post incorrectly and remind them of the rules, also to lock posts or ban people as needed. The devs do what the devs need to do, leaving the moderators to handle the forums, sometimes a thread may catch a devs eye if it's something that is either thier "code baby" or a pet project so they respond in a thread. Seeing em a bit more (like David and Asyre to name two that I can think of off the top of my head, used to do), would be nice. Yes I agree some posts of questions in the wrong forum, or people asking for scripts should just be reported and no comments made in the thread at all. Or if you have nothing good to say Don't say anything at all - isn't that what most people are taught growing up? Also I have seen some people complain about people flaming people then turn around and do it themselves in another thread, double standards = stupidity in my book and is mildly annoying. Also basing peoples answers on how many scripts they have released to the community is also silly. I don't tend to have all that many releases, mustly just fixes/mods/improvements/suggestions for others. I have released a few usefull things, most of which are no longer located on RunUO for one reason or another, mostly removed alot of them when I left at one point and just not motivated enough to bring them back. Well now I've been drawn back into this thread even after I told myself I wan't going to be...

Yiffi

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK
I have an FAQ...if anyone wants to look at the stickies in Script Support...

see?
http://www.runuo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60709

Thanks I found this helpful and glad it's here :]

To help people such as my self I can say that responses like these would be helpful:

-Do a search (then add) for "such and such" your answer should be there.
-It's in "such and such" script (then add) look for this # line or command text.
-Read the rules on "such and such" behavior (then add) they are located (link)here. *then report to a mod to take care of it* And NEVER look back, and please one reply like this is sufficiant.

A general FAQ and these kind of responses, without insults. I know I personally would feel more like it was a community instead of a pit where all the 1337 went to roust. Am I the only one? Is this too much to ask?

And if by chance there is a post like "HELP I DONNA WUT 2 DOOOOO???!!!" Report it and don't answer it. Everyone knows that kind of person is annoying. Or even one reply like "Read the rules on... etc" should be enough right?

I want to be part of this community, if that is what it will be, not stoned to death for every post I make.

------------------------------

Now for a newb question here, I use mozillia, how do I set it up so that quotes say:
Originally Posted by BOLD TEXT

Without having to type the whole thing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.