RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why I hate RunUO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greystar

Wanderer
Yiffi said:
Thanks I found this helpful and glad it's here :]

To help people such as my self I can say that responses like these would be helpful:

-Do a search (then add) for "such and such" your answer should be there.
-It's in "such and such" script (then add) look for this # line or command text.
-Read the rules on "such and such" behavior (then add) they are located (link)here. *then report to a mod to take care of it* And NEVER look back, and please one reply like this is sufficiant.

A general FAQ and these kind of responses, without insults. I know I personally would feel more like it was a community instead of a pit where all the 1337 went to roust. Am I the only one? Is this too much to ask?

And if by chance there is a post like "HELP I DONNA WUT 2 DOOOOO???!!!" Report it and don't answer it. Everyone knows that kind of person is annoying. Or even one reply like "Read the rules on... etc" should be enough right?

I want to be part of this community, if that is what it will be, not stoned to death for every post I make.

------------------------------

Now for a newb question here, I use mozillia, how do I set it up so that quotes say:
Originally Posted by BOLD TEXT

Without having to type the whole thing out.

I just use the Quote Button...

Celestria

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK said:
I have an FAQ...if anyone wants to look at the stickies in Script Support...

see?
http://www.runuo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60709

That is a good beginnings of an FAQ but doesn't really expand past showing people the proper netiquette of the board, and how to do some very basic things.

For example
I would add that it be required for everyone who wishes to understand scripts to download metapad(or equvalent), Cliloc Viewer, and Winmerge.
Then you can answer simple FAQ's such as this..

Q: How do I change the start location of new characters?

A: Go to Scripts\Misc\charactercreation.cs.
1. Find Line 656 it should look like this
Code:
 //CityInfo city = new CityInfo( "Britain", "Sweet Dreams Inn", 1496, 1628, 10, Map.Felucca );

Change the name of the city to which City you want your players to start in.
Code:
//CityInfo city = new CityInfo( "[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Britain[/COLOR]", "Sweet Dreams Inn", 1496, 1628, 10, Map.Felucca);

Change the nameof the place to where in the city your players start in(you can name this anything you want)
Code:
 //CityInfo city = new CityInfo( "Britain", [COLOR="darkgreen"]"Sweet Dreams Inn", [/COLOR]1496, 1628, 10, Map.Felucca);
Then while in game type [where and find those coordinates. put them here
Code:
//CityInfo city = new CityInfo( "Britain", "Sweet Dreams Inn", [COLOR="darkgreen"]1496, 1628, 10, [/COLOR]Map.Felucca);
Finally if you want the to start on a different map change this to the proper map
Code:
//CityInfo city = new CityInfo( "Britain", "Sweet Dreams Inn", 1496, 1628, 10, Map.[COLOR="darkgreen"]Felucca[/COLOR]);

2. now in lines 687, 691, 696, 701, 706 you should find the same set of code, change it accordingly. It will look like this.

Code:
private static CityInfo GetStartLocation( CharacterCreatedEventArgs args, bool isYoung )
		{
			switch ( args.Profession )
			{
				case 4: //Necro
				{
					return new CityInfo( "Umbra", "Mardoth's Tower", 2114, 1301, -50, Map.Malas );
				}
				case 5:	//Paladin
				{
					return new CityInfo( "Haven", "Uzeraan's Mansion", 3578, 2589, 0, Map.Trammel );
				}
				case 6:	//Samurai
				{
					return new CityInfo( "Samurai DE", "Haoti's Grounds", 368, 780, -1, Map.Malas );
				}
				case 7:	//Ninja
				{
					return new CityInfo( "Ninja DE", "Enimo's Residence", 414,	823, -1, Map.Malas );
				}
				default:
				{
					if( isYoung )
						return new CityInfo( "Haven", "Uzeraan's Mansion", 3582, 2587, 0, Map.Trammel );
					else
						return args.City;
				}
			}
		}
Save and restart your server you should have no errors.

Now that wasn't hard, and you may think this is an easy way out BUT it does teach. It teaches people howto break down and understand a script, and it also answers and FAQ that takes up space on the board. you could also add links to posts that ask this question and get into different details. a "further readings" section.

Heres a idea...I know Ryan is very busy and everyone is yelling for a FAQ place that players can go to in order to get help with simple things. When Celestria posted her information on "Changing location" made me think, why can't the people here from the Community just add a thread to "Server Support" and put "Community FAQ Help Page" where the community contributes help on one page over the quesions always asked. Same with "Script Support" and have people that are knowledgable over scrips put their answers to problems down. Same with General....Start a "Community FAQ Help Page" thread for new people needing answers....Where we as a community contribute to this forum to help others....;) This would help so much....And we have such knowledgeable people that are really good teachers.....:) And we could all contribute to this in one way or another with any knowledge we have in that area....

It maybe good enough for them to even make a sticky out of it...Lol

Ok just my 2 cents....Lol

Pyro-Tech

Knight
i just caught this thread...i read the first few pages and skimmed the rest so...bear with me.

I remember back as far as when i started, it seemed that it was a mix of "ask a question get an answer" or "ask question, get insulted and told to search" cause i had a mix response many times i would ask....it got to a point now i will struggle with something for a week or so after a search didn't help before i ask cause i don't want to deal with the people that give hell.

Phantom for example his way's pissed me off....but it is him that made me learn a little so....it is double edged for him....i won't go into that since i don't want this post to be any kind of bashing.

This is my second time to the forums....i quit comming once cause i didn't like it anymore and dropped doing emulation. But then i came back since my friends wanted another server, and this was/is the best emulator to do it with....there are a few people here i have conversed with that i would consider friends. I haven't ran into anyone specifically that i can recall that i wish would just drop off the face of the earth.

It would be nice to see a turn around. Lord knows we need it. It has been my experiance with any community though on the net...given enough time, it get's harder and harder for a community to feel like one since the elder members know eachother really well....and they can't stand each new commer comming along and asking the same thing the new guy last week did that the new girl asked a week before that....they feel it get's tedious and start the downgrading...."do a search" starts comming out.

I run a site for my shard....i hope to one day have a decent sized shard....i hope it doesn't start to follow this trend when that day comes.

Outkast....i commend you for bringing this out. Comming from a mod, that is saying alot.

Courageous

Wanderer
On the subject of the old timers being tired of dummy questions:

The time honored tradition, taken from moderated newsgroups (text! how quaint), is that the old timers simply ignore the newcomers, with slightly less oldtimers answering the newbiew questions.

C//

TMSTKSBK

Lord
ok.

1. Celestria...your example is wrong.
2. There is already an example of how to change start locations in my FAQ. Specifically #6: 6. Editing Player Start Locations.

celestria said:
I would add that it be required for everyone who wishes to understand scripts to download metapad(or equvalent), Cliloc Viewer, and Winmerge.

No. You do not *need* to download anything to totally understand C#. While having a cliloc editor & better text editor handy is a good thing, they are not needed to understand scripting. WinMerge isn't necessary unless you're installing something.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
DreamCatcher said:
Heres a idea...I know Ryan is very busy and everyone is yelling for a FAQ place that players can go to in order to get help with simple things. When Celestria posted her information on "Changing location" made me think, why can't the people here from the Community just add a thread to "Server Support" and put "Community FAQ Help Page" where the community contributes help on one page over the quesions always asked. Same with "Script Support" and have people that are knowledgable over scrips put their answers to problems down. Same with General....Start a "Community FAQ Help Page" thread for new people needing answers....Where we as a community contribute to this forum to help others....;) This would help so much....And we have such knowledgeable people that are really good teachers.....:) And we could all contribute to this in one way or another with any knowledge we have in that area....

It maybe good enough for them to even make a sticky out of it...Lol

Ok just my 2 cents....Lol

Read my post above Celestria's. What do you want added?

A_Li_N

Knight
What we need is an FAQ forum (like Script Support) that is only used for FAQ's. No disussion, no questions, no nothing. The person posts the FAQ, then if anyone finds a problem or wants to discuss a change, they have to PM the author.

This would give a single post FAQ system that people can search the topics for their answers.

I'd say use the wiki for such things, but it's not visited as much and it's harder to use for the basic person.

Celestria

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK said:
ok.

1. Celestria...your example is wrong.
2. There is already an example of how to change start locations in my FAQ. Specifically #6: 6. Editing Player Start Locations.

No. You do not *need* to download anything to totally understand C#. While having a cliloc editor & better text editor handy is a good thing, they are not needed to understand scripting. WinMerge isn't necessary unless you're installing something.

1. My example is NOT wrong, I did that exact thing to mine and it works. It is also an easy way to present information I found in a search.
Your FAQ only takes into account one line they must edit, which is a good start. However, most people will not understand they have to edit all those lines so that if a person makes Ninja or a Necro they will also be sent to the proper start location and not to Malas. oR if they want young players sent to Felucca.

2. Yes you do need a cliloc editor, a better text editor, and WinMerge, because they will teach people who have read the C# page a million times how to look at a script in a different way to see how it interacts. You are looking at things from a professional point of view, not a newbie one.
Cliloc editor helped me undestand the breakdown of a certain script and allowed me to properly edit to to do what I want. If it did it for little ole me it can do it for others.
When you get errors in RUNUO it tells you what line and colum your errors are on. Notepad just doesn't cut it for that.
Winmerege helped me understand and in essence merge two scipts from two different people so they would be compatable.
For people like me who eyes get crossed when coding those are essential programs to be able to help me.

I love how you just come right out and say I am wrong and completely shoot down my idea.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
But the first half of it is unnecessary. It is commented out. The second half is, indeed, how you edit start locations for various classes.

The items you recommended are not necessary. They are handy, however.
Most newbies do not need a cliloc viewer. I have used WinMerge for the same purpose. But it is not necessary for script creation. We also should not be "requiring" that people download something that they don't explicitly need.

And as for shooting down your idea - better honest than not.

ASayre8 said:
http://www.runuo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Git started, everyone ;) It's just like the old one of long past except... empty. Better fix that, oy?

(Oh, and a few incorrect forum settings related to attachements fix'd)
]

Thank you ASayre8! ;) This is going to be so helpful for everyone! :) I've started posting already there with questions always asked! ;)
And if I'm wrong in any of my post in FAQ, Please PM me and I'll change anything that maybe wrong.....

zetamine

Sorceror
One word, Outkast. AMEN!

Don't get me wrong, there are people like ArteGordon, xXxSp1derxXx who I have seen actually attempt to help people, but you are 99.9% percent right. I think users have actually started coming here to vent frustration rather than have their problems solved. I love RunUO. I hope this thread, and your post bring about a needed change.

I agree...

I agree with TheOutkastDev 100%. All the smart ass people who have
'1337n355' think they're so "divine" or "celestial" in this community. And the short, smart ass comments and replies like 'do a search for it n00b' or 'i hate stupid people who don't search' just piss me off. A beginner scripter comes here for help, and even posts in the Script Support forum, guess what happens? - they get flamed until they aren't even dust.

--A Few of My Thoughts--

-Naruto_Uzumaki

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Naruto_Uzumaki said:
I agree with TheOutkastDev 100%. All the smart ass people who have
'1337n355' think they're so "divine" or "celestial" in this community. And the short, smart ass comments and replies like 'do a search for it n00b' or 'i hate stupid people who don't search' just piss me off. A beginner scripter comes here for help, and even posts in the Script Support forum, guess what happens? - they get flamed until they aren't even dust.

--A Few of My Thoughts--

-Naruto_Uzumaki

Show me even ONE POST where somebody says "do a search for it n00b", just show me one post, and I will forever shut up about the subject.

Otherwise DO NOT STRETCH THE TRUTH PLEASE

siran

Sorceror
Seanchen.net said:
The moderators do not and can't handle every single post that breaks a rule.

Telling people not to tell people they are breaking the rules, is breaking the rules.

Just keep the moderating to the moderators. If people want to tell people they are breaking the rules, let them, it doesn't harm anything now does it?

Yes it does harm things....hence this whole thread. Were this thread not in Starbucks, and not specifically on this subject, I would ignore your post, which is what you and I should both do in other threads when we see rule violations. But to selectively lecture about some rules and whine about others is inconsistent, immature, and illogical. Neither of us wrote the rules, and neither of us are privileged to pick and choose which ones we like and which ones we don't. Just follow them all to the best of your ability, and I'll do the same, and if our example catches on this problem will go away.

Seanchen.net said:
Show me even ONE POST where somebody says "do a search for it n00b", just show me one post, and I will forever shut up about the subject.

Otherwise DO NOT STRETCH THE TRUTH PLEASE

He doesn't have to, it's in Sorios' signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.