RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why I hate RunUO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Celestria said:
Here is an example post of a search for it newb Type of comment
http://www.runuo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64615

This is what I found when I did a search for "SE Mobiles"
http://www.runuo.com/forums/search.php?searchid=111626

So instead of being a prick to the guy someone could have directed him to here
http://www.runuo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51783&highlight=Empire+Mobiles
which I found by searching for a Bake Kitsune, not SE not SE Moblies. It took me a good long while to find this wonderful script.

Nobody was a prick to the guy, they were not nice, sorry I am not nice to rule breakers.

I did answer his question, he wanted it, I told him how he could get it. But doesn't really matter, I wasn't the prick in that case, so I don't care:p

goodmojo

Wanderer
I read the first few pages and then halted. As usual, a hot topic degrades into a conglomerate of good sense, bitching, and nonsense. I am a sideline member of this community at best. My post count is not great. I offer responses in the Script Support forum rarely, at best. Only b/c I do not consider myself a competent scripter. But there are WAY too many instances of bravado and holier-than-thou attitudes for people asking for assistance. Some requests are nonsensical or lazy. Dont respond to them. But the nasty/unhelpful responses are contaminating this community. Don't simply point out what might be wrong with a script without offering solutions. Whatever his intentions, I applaud the original author for making a candid, articulate observation. On every point.

It really is so simple. If you are not going to offer assistance in solving a problem, or offering praise, DONT POST.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Dian said:
It doesnt hurt anything for the most part, but lets all think about how it goes these days.. Anytime someone posts a request, or anything of the sort, there are 8+ people that all jump as fast as they can to reply with that "Requests are not allowed" crap. It litters the forum with worthless posts. How many people do we need to tell them that same things.

Look at the threads asking about the "Next" release... Those all become a thread full of worthless replies, all basically saying the same damn thing.. "Dont ask, or it will take longer", "its done when its done, no sooner" etc, etc, etc... Thats where it does hurt. It hurts the communities reputation as a bunch of idiots, or assholes that have absolutely no patience with a new persons questions.

Lets face it, there are always going to be people out there that dont bother reading the Rules. That is a givin. It was not like this a couple years ago.. the reason its like this now is because of a lot of members that follow along in "Moderating a thread when they are not Moderators" and they get sick of seeing same threads asking questions that have been answered before.

I think they are the ones that need to 'get over it' as Serchen has said many times.. The best rule I have read is on the rules.. Move on to the next thread if the one your reading is anoyying you because of the persons lack of searching for themselves. Let that post go unanswered, for fuck sake.

IMHO that would settle the RunUO Community in a huge way, if we all followed that one common rule alone.

1) I or you cannot control the response by other people, its a freaking MESSAGE BOARD!
2) So what people are replying to pointless topics, with pointless humorus responses

It was not like this a couple years ago.. the reason its like this now is because of a lot of members that follow along in "Moderating a thread when they are not Moderators" and they get sick of seeing same threads asking questions that have been answered before.

I don't moderator, I tell people that we have rules, I leave the moderators to do their job.

Not giving a response is not an answer, because he will demand and cry that were assholes for not helping. I would rather be direct then be an ass.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Celestria said:
I don't like it when someone says "no requests" when a person is simply asking for help finding something, and not requesting someone to script for them.
It really sets people off guard, then they start thinking... does that mean I can't request help? really defeats the purpose of having a support or help section.

I don't do this.

Others might, but I don't do this.

Request HOW to do somethign then asking for somebody to post code, IS a REQUESt, what you describe is just about every post thats not a request :rolleyes:

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Morxeton said:
What they need to do is create some kind of "Ideas" or "Requests" forum where users can submit their ideas and requests, then other users who wish to assist can then fulfill the request. There will also be a disclaimer that even though they place a request, it does not mean that someone HAS to fulfill it.

Users would be able to submit their ideas into this forum as well, and other users can use it as a resource to get ideas from.

They won't follow the rules when they request a script.

They will bump and post in the wrong forum, which means more people have to tell them where to post.

We don't need a request forum, there are almost 1000 scripts people can choose from, if they want something special then they can modify one of those scripts.

If I could get paid to code these scripts for people, then I might change my mind, but I won't do that till I am told I can do that. People charge for alot simplier scripts then the classes that are posted now.

daat99

Staff member
WarAngel said:
Yes, but from most of what I just read in that topic, all you guys are saying is, as psz said, "Script requests == bad". You merely don't want to have to read them, or see them there. Is that really a good argument?

I understand Phantom's point about it promoting people not sharing, but from what I have seen, that really isn't what normally happens. Maybe I have missed something in my forum experiences.
I see this rule in a different way.
Take a look at uogateway list, how many shards you see there that aren't activbe?
How many shards you see there that get player wiped every X months?

When I was playing UO what I liked to do is to join all this new shards that just started and see if I can help the admin a bit to get hiim going.
Out of the houndreds of shards I helped how many you think still online?
Only 1, and it wasn't updated at all since I stopped playing UO almost a year ago...

The facts are very simple.
If the admin don't know how to script than his shard is doomed.
Scriptors come and go, the admin isn't.
If the admin doesn't know how to update his shard and how to ser\deser stuff without wiping everything than he won't stick around.

Why do you insist on helping increase the number of 1 month shards in the list?
Aren't there enough already?

If I'll have anything to say about it I'll say that the rule must stay.
If a person doesn't have the time or will to learn how to take care of his own shard than his shard won't stick and therefore will be just waste of time, especially for the players that will play in it.
Those are facts and you can argue about them as much as you want.
When you'll show me a shard with 50+ players on 24/7 that is active for atleast a year I'll reconsider my views.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
I have learned through experience that this is wrong. I myself learned C# by posting on a C# forum and asking for simple requests, which I picked through and figured things out. I don't understand why it even matters to you. If you don't want to read requests, then don't read the requests forum and you will never have to deal with it.

People won't post requests in the request forum, thus I will be forced to read a request, and then I will respond to the said request.

It won't work, people will not follow the current rules, so why change the rules to allow something that already happens?

Oh and if people really wanted to full-fill a request, there are about 100 unfilled requested, contact the person and have fun. Otherwise if your the one who wants to make the request, how about asking for help, isntead of requesting?

I really dislike people that only "take" and "want" and not "give"

Ravenal

Knight
DreamCatcher said:
Well in my opinion if more people ban together that are helpful and put these rude unhelpful people in their places on here it may work! Don't let some rude person chase you off. You have more of a right to be here and post helping people as they do being here being rude and unhelpful!

Pull together everyone and show those rude ones we are going to make this a good helpful community! They'll leave after being called out on their rude remarks after awhile. They will realize that what they say means nothing! ;)

I have done thus many times, it was sicken to me that some would say rude remarks, or such about my work, or about other works... Thats why I left and thats why I am part of OrBSydia as Ravenal

daat99

Staff member
Seanchen.net said:
People won't post requests in the request forum, thus I will be forced to read a request, and then I will respond to the said request.

It won't work, people will not follow the current rules, so why change the rules to allow something that already happens?

Oh and if people really wanted to full-fill a request, there are about 100 unfilled requested, contact the person and have fun. Otherwise if your the one who wants to make the request, how about asking for help, isntead of requesting?

I really dislike people that only "take" and "want" and not "give"
I agree 100%

P.S.
Hi awakenlands ;)

Johabius

Knight
You bring up a valid point daat, but not everyone is looking to be the next big shard. Some of us just enjoy putzing around on our own little world where we have total control of what happens in that world (like a very welcome "break" from reality for a while) .
With that said, though, I don't see a requests section as that bad of an idea. Sure there are drawbacks to the idea, but every idea at one point has its drawbacks when it is first conceived. Could it be set up where a person posts a request, and then if someone feels generous enough to fulfill that request, they contact the requesting party and transfer the files in private. There doesn't need to be any additional posts to the thread, only edits to the post by the original author. Also, posting ettiquette, set up by the moderator, needs to be followed or the post can be removed. Don't really know if any of this is feasible, but I'm just throwing out ideas.

daat99

Staff member
Johabius said:
You bring up a valid point daat, but not everyone is looking to be the next big shard. Some of us just enjoy putzing around on our own little world where we have total control of what happens in that world (like a very welcome "break" from reality for a while) .
With that said, though, I don't see a requests section as that bad of an idea. Sure there are drawbacks to the idea, but every idea at one point has its drawbacks when it is first conceived. Could it be set up where a person posts a request, and then if someone feels generous enough to fulfill that request, they contact the requesting party and transfer the files in private. There doesn't need to be any additional posts to the thread, only edits to the post by the original author. Also, posting ettiquette, set up by the moderator, needs to be followed or the post can be removed. Don't really know if any of this is feasible, but I'm just throwing out ideas.
So basically what you say is:
"I want a script that will be used by only me and 2 of my friends and nobody else in the entire world."
While I agree that there's nothing wrong with having a private shard for family and friends but those shards doesn't need anything special in them that isn't already in the script submission forum.
Making scripts just for a private shard that isn't yours is complete waste of time in my opinion.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
I understand Phantom's point about it promoting people not sharing, but from what I have seen, that really isn't what normally happens. Maybe I have missed something in my forum experiences.

It doesn't happen because everyone wants to be able to make requests. More people need to share their work, and not think about themselfs.

Trying to make your shard special is one thing, but wanting to request something then not even share its just funny.

"I want a script that will be used by only me and 2 of my friends and nobody else in the entire world."
While I agree that there's nothing wrong with having a private shard for family and friends but those shards doesn't need anything special in them that isn't already in the script submission forum.
Making scripts just for a private shard that isn't yours is complete waste of time in my opinion.

If I could charge for requests, I would, but I won't because RunUO is build on the knowlege that is shared. I want to charge for requests, I could make a good amount of money, like I said I have paid for simplier scripts myself.

My point is, if people paid for a script find they have a right not to share it. But if your freaking getting it for free, why won't you just ask for help, and share it with everyone?

daat99

Staff member
Seanchen.net said:
If I could charge for requests, I would, but I won't because RunUO is build on the knowlege that is shared. I want to charge for requests, I could make a good amount of money, like I said I have paid for simplier scripts myself.

My point is, if people paid for a script find they have a right not to share it. But if your freaking getting it for free, why won't you just ask for help, and share it with everyone?
There's nothing that stop 2 people that want to trade scripts for money in private.
As long as they keep that in private and don't come to cry on the public forums when something goes wrong...

Johabius

Knight
daat99 said:
Well, it could be taken that way, sure. But, there's nothing saying that the person that fulfills the request can't share it with the rest of the community. Say, for example, Person A makes a request in the request forum. Person B is looking for a project, and comes across Person A's request, and decides to give it a shot. Person B finishes the request, contacts Person A, and let's them know that a script that fulfills Person A's request can now be found in the script submissions forum.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
daat99 said:
There's nothing that stop 2 people that want to trade scripts for money in private.
As long as they keep that in private and don't come to cry on the public forums when something goes wrong...

They would cry, and I would be the bad guy if it did happen, and I don't wana deal with it.

Plus I believe that knowlege is free, and you shouldn't have to pay for it, thus why I am such a bastard when it comes to the rules.

I will help ANYONE if they TRY, its the only form of payment I asked for, effort...

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Johabius said:
Well, it could be taken that way, sure. But, there's nothing saying that the person that fulfills the request can't share it with the rest of the community. Say, for example, Person A makes a request in the request forum. Person B is looking for a project, and comes across Person A's request, and decides to give it a shot. Person B finishes the request, contacts Person A, and let's them know that a script that fulfills Person A's request can now be found in the script submissions forum.

So go fullfill some of 100+ requests that have been posted, then add them to the submission forum.

If your not willing to do this, there is no need for a request forum.

daat99

Staff member
Seanchen.net said:
They would cry, and I would be the bad guy if it did happen, and I don't wana deal with it.

Plus I believe that knowlege is free, and you shouldn't have to pay for it, thus why I am such a bastard when it comes to the rules.

I will help ANYONE if they TRY, its the only form of payment I asked for, effort...
That's how I see things as well ;)

Yiffi

Wanderer
So daat and/or Senchen, this is to either of you guys directly.
Taking into the fact that people won't likely change, what are your ideas for improving the situation?
I read a lot about how you both think some ideas are bad and don't work. I can accept that, but do you have any ideas on how to make things nicer?

Taking everyones quotes and ideas then saying how its a bad idea, even if you are right, seem counter productive to what your trying to say.

This is not a flame, just a direct question.

Status
Not open for further replies.