RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why I hate RunUO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestria

Wanderer
Example Post

Here is an example post of a search for it newb Type of comment
http://www.runuo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64615

This is what I found when I did a search for "SE Mobiles"
http://www.runuo.com/forums/search.php?searchid=111626

So instead of being a prick to the guy someone could have directed him to here
http://www.runuo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51783&highlight=Empire+Mobiles
which I found by searching for a Bake Kitsune, not SE not SE Moblies. It took me a good long while to find this wonderful script.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Celestria said:
So instead of being a prick to the guy someone could have directed him to here

Being a total forum whore on the Sphere forums, I have to say that I understand when people post in this "prick" sort of way. It gets rather annoying when people come to the forums and don't even bother to look for their information because they are lazy. Manytimes, the answer to their question is in the topic DIRECTLY above or below their post. After awhile, you just start to get annoyed after seeing the same question asked over, and over, and over again. Not that this is an excuse to be an ass, but it explains the general grumpiness about the whole subject.

Celestria

Wanderer
WarAngel said:
Being a total forum whore on the Sphere forums, I have to say that I understand when people post in this "prick" sort of way. It gets rather annoying when people come to the forums and don't even bother to look for their information because they are lazy. Manytimes, the answer to their question is in the topic DIRECTLY above or below their post. After awhile, you just start to get annoyed after seeing the same question asked over, and over, and over again. Not that this is an excuse to be an ass, but it explains the general grumpiness about the whole subject.
Oh I can definately understand getting frustrated at people. Happens to me on a daily basis, and I do get grumpy. I detest laziness.
However, sometimes people aren't lazy they just don't get it.
Some people have better communication skills, others have better search skills. I guess my point is, if you have the time and energy to flame someone, especially to make a bitmap to flame someone, then you can channel that in a more helpful manner, or not say anything and go make a new script.
Like I said before, scripters think in a more complex manner so they get things easier. People who arent' scripters think more simply in this area and might need a little help from people who can stop and think on their beginning level.

Dian

Sorceror
Seanchen.net said:
I suppose.

Telling to them read a quote from the rules, shouldn't hurt anyone, if it does then they need to get over it.

It doesnt hurt anything for the most part, but lets all think about how it goes these days.. Anytime someone posts a request, or anything of the sort, there are 8+ people that all jump as fast as they can to reply with that "Requests are not allowed" crap. It litters the forum with worthless posts. How many people do we need to tell them that same things.

Look at the threads asking about the "Next" release... Those all become a thread full of worthless replies, all basically saying the same damn thing.. "Dont ask, or it will take longer", "its done when its done, no sooner" etc, etc, etc... Thats where it does hurt. It hurts the communities reputation as a bunch of idiots, or assholes that have absolutely no patience with a new persons questions.

Lets face it, there are always going to be people out there that dont bother reading the Rules. That is a givin. It was not like this a couple years ago.. the reason its like this now is because of a lot of members that follow along in "Moderating a thread when they are not Moderators" and they get sick of seeing same threads asking questions that have been answered before.

I think they are the ones that need to 'get over it' as Serchen has said many times.. The best rule I have read is on the rules.. Move on to the next thread if the one your reading is anoyying you because of the persons lack of searching for themselves. Let that post go unanswered, for fuck sake.

IMHO that would settle the RunUO Community in a huge way, if we all followed that one common rule alone.

Courageous

Wanderer
It doesnt hurt anything for the most part, but lets all think about how it goes these days.. Anytime someone posts a request, or anything of the sort, there are 8+ people that all jump as fast as they can to reply with that "Requests are not allowed" crap.

Frankly, I find that even when the moderators do this, it creates a perception of a surly community.

C//

Celestria

Wanderer
I don't like it when someone says "no requests" when a person is simply asking for help finding something, and not requesting someone to script for them.
It really sets people off guard, then they start thinking... does that mean I can't request help? really defeats the purpose of having a support or help section.

siran

Sorceror
Courageous said:
It doesnt hurt anything for the most part, but lets all think about how it goes these days.. Anytime someone posts a request, or anything of the sort, there are 8+ people that all jump as fast as they can to reply with that "Requests are not allowed" crap.

Frankly, I find that even when the moderators do this, it creates a perception of a surly community.

C//

I agree, Courageous. It would be more beneficial if: 1) admonitions were more civil, 2) came with friendly advice about how to properly post. If you get slapped every time you ask a question, pretty soon you not only no longer ask, you leave.

Courageous

Wanderer
Celestria said:
I don't like it when someone says "no requests" when a person is simply asking for help finding something, and not requesting someone to script for them.

Not to mention that to a newbie, everything is a request. I point to the rule itself as a problem here. I can tolerate the occasionally teenie bopper and his sycophantic "pwease, pwease, pwease can u rite some codes for me?" babble. It's easily ignored. Meanwhile, the rule against it has been nothing but a community excuse to slap the newcomer.

But why talk about it. Let's step it up a level:

I MOVE WE STRIKE THE RULE.

C//

A_Li_N

Knight
Courageous said:
I second that.

I agree that that rule should be either changed or gotton rid of completely.

Maybe 'No requesting scripts to be created or modified for you.' or something to that extent.

Morxeton

Sorceror
What they need to do is create some kind of "Ideas" or "Requests" forum where users can submit their ideas and requests, then other users who wish to assist can then fulfill the request. There will also be a disclaimer that even though they place a request, it does not mean that someone HAS to fulfill it.

Users would be able to submit their ideas into this forum as well, and other users can use it as a resource to get ideas from.

Celestria

Wanderer
Morxeton said:
What they need to do is create some kind of "Ideas" or "Requests" forum where users can submit their ideas and requests, then other users who wish to assist can then fulfill the request. There will also be a disclaimer that even though they place a request, it does not mean that someone HAS to fulfill it.

Users would be able to submit their ideas into this forum as well, and other users can use it as a resource to get ideas from.

I third the motion, and Moxeton I agree. There is nothing wrong with allowing people to utilize the ideas of others.
I am a horrible scripter, BUT I am a great idea person. When an idea person and a scripter get together they can make beautiful babies! :D er I mean um scripts.

Viago

Knight
the topic of allowing request has been locked and ended a few months age. it is a bad idea. which leads to even more lazyness by inexperianced users. whats the point in learning to script when you can ask somone to do it for you...? its not a real insentive mroe most members...who...are capable of making scripts.

the point is for people to learn scripting, at thier own pase for sure, but allowing requests will just change that all together.

not trying to be rude but, no requests should stay.

and as for the rules, people should take the effort into fining thier answer, granted if thier searching skills arnt good theyll have alot of pages to look through. with that said, everyone should be entitled to post for help. and recive a fair response. aslong as thier question relavent, aka "where can i get this script?" then the answer should direct them to script submition areas, or the search, or both.

there is no cookie cutter recipie oon how the community should act, because a community is just that a groupe of diffrent people who share same belifes insomething. saying that. if you have nothing constructive to say, allways critising and contribute nothing relavent to the community, are you really a member? i dont meen to be rude but there are alot of us whe may not contribute at all which is fine, cause alot are learning still, and thats fine. thats why we are here. all im saying is those "black sheep" (not saying its a single person) but those who arnt constructive. like Phantom, Spidy, and dat for example, are constructive. and mannny more are. my point is that. If you critise somone or flame them ect ect do you share the smae views?

now as i try to get to my point is that. when posting, be constructive. you flaunting your personality, and bismarking somone for something isnt really...constructive. unless its one of those posts that just to joke around kinda thing. the best thing for the community (i think) is not to purge it self of things, but its users to unwinde, and not be so critical.

i think that the posts wil lbe better if people actualy lightend up a lil bit, so what hes a nooby, just answer the question is it that hard? then move on. its not his fault. just put your self in thier shoes and imagine if you wer flamed for asking a noob question.....i meen weve all been there, even phantom at one point, hell even krrios doesnt have all the answers and im surte hes had to have some help too on some things.

i guess my point is if we all lightend up, you know. then the community might be better, dont look at the community as your own fame whore. were all here to learn. and help. if you cant do that then i duno.

Celestria

Wanderer
Viago from you post and mine we can see two different perceptions of the community
I see this as a RunUO community, where people are here to use this emulator to run a great shard
You see this as a RunUO community, where people are here to learn C# to script and create a shard.
Your definition is a little more defined than mine.

Some people just want to run a shard, and if people are willing to make a script for them then where is the harm?
Personally I try to encourage admins to hire a scripter for staff, but if they aren't lucky enough to have one then I see nothing wrong with freelancing.

Arvoreen

Sorceror
Maybe a separate forum for Script Requests? That way all the requests are in one place, so that people that have no desire to script for someone else can not be bothered by them if they are trying to help people learn?

I think it's an OK idea. :)

WarAngel

Wanderer
Viago said:
the topic of allowing request has been locked and ended a few months age. it is a bad idea. which leads to even more lazyness by inexperianced users. whats the point in learning to script when you can ask somone to do it for you...? its not a real insentive mroe most members...who...are capable of making scripts.

the point is for people to learn scripting, at thier own pase for sure, but allowing requests will just change that all together.

not trying to be rude but, no requests should stay.

I have learned through experience that this is wrong. I myself learned C# by posting on a C# forum and asking for simple requests, which I picked through and figured things out. I don't understand why it even matters to you. If you don't want to read requests, then don't read the requests forum and you will never have to deal with it.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Yes, but from most of what I just read in that topic, all you guys are saying is, as psz said, "Script requests == bad". You merely don't want to have to read them, or see them there. Is that really a good argument?

I understand Phantom's point about it promoting people not sharing, but from what I have seen, that really isn't what normally happens. Maybe I have missed something in my forum experiences.

Arcanus

Wanderer
Courageous said:
But why talk about it. Let's step it up a level:

C//

Here Here!

After all, isnt that feature in "subscriptions" no longer applicable to subscribers?

Arcanus

Wanderer
Viago said:

I really can't agree. This is like not liking the cituation yourself and making it the same for everyone else who does wish to help. (Not meaning you specificly)

I think it should be left up to the community to answer questions or not. But I would limit it to one of two options. Answer the question with some sort of helpful, non-rude post/responce, or simply leave it alone altogether... Not posting a responce gets over the post bashing altogether.

After all, one of the options is clearly legal even by the rules, and the other is not.

People sit here and say Rules Rules Rules, but they really dont seem to know them themselves. If they did, then they know that their own actions are ILLEGAL! And to boot, as one of those same people mentioned, He really dont care about anyone else but himself and dont wish to be reminded of other peoples flaws. I say ... "Good Ridance. If I want your scripts, I know your webpage addy."

Screaming about rules being broken and breaking them all in the same responce is simply hipocriticle.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
TheOutkastDev said:
He doesn't have to, it's in Sorios' signature.

Who are you talking about?

Anyways I have not seen anyone call anyone a n00b for not searching. Like I said, don't spread the truth, otherwise it will be to thin to hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.