RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bono on Christianity

PappaSmurf

Knight
WarAngel said:
A lot of people agree that it isn't a book to be taken literally. However, the messages and stories of the Bible are meant to lay a moral foundation for those who can find meaning among them.

See that's my view it's good for the moral foundation, but I can't stand how some people develop a completely fanatical and unbending view or belief that it is word for word fact and truth. The Romans, Greeks, Native Americans, and any other culture with a radically different set of religous beliefs had people that held the same type of unyeilding views that many christians have, the "My Belief Structure is better than Your Belief Structure" attitude.

• A) You weren't alive 2000+ years ago.
  • B) A Diety has never once came up to you and said "'Sup Dawg" and proved he or she exists
  • C) Untill you reach what ever afterlife there may or maynot be you are possibly living under the wrong set of morals, that being said I prefer to live my life by my own code of conduct not one from and intangible father figure.
That being said I hope some people will realize that not everyone wants to hear quotes from scriptures that may be no more accurate than a few lines of text from The Odyssey, in one of the scenes where Athena or Neptune were in conversation with one of the characters, or with another god. At least the Ancient Greeks had enough respect for other cultures to recognize their religous beliefs and not say "Oh your gods are all false and evil".

Sunshine

Wanderer
Anti-Basic said:
I've never been banned:( David, can you ban me, so I can be an "official" ass.

Gosh that is scary hun I been banned before lol

***Topic...I lived in Western Ky and we had more churches than one town ever needs. Each year they got bigger and bigger and bigger ...as if trying to one up the others......Think I have to go to the Biggest and newest church for Him to hear me?

theformat

Wanderer
David said:
I was going to post in a recent thread where the subject of Christianity and behavior of Christians was being discussed. However that thread has moved on to other topics. So this is my extension of the previous conversation.

I am participating as the local technical director in a three day worldwide conference for church and business leaders delivered via satellite. A few minutes ago they concluded an interview with Bono, the lead singer of U2.

He discussed his attempts to use his celebrity status to promote the cause of ending the AIDS crisis and other "manageable" issues. During the course of the interview he made some comments I found interesting regarding his views on Christianity.

The conference overall has been nothing short of impressive. The various speakers have been compelling and educational but everyone I spoke to at the lunch break says that Bono was the most moving by far. (And yes a couple of their songs were played as recorded during a live performance.)

He wrapped it up with another thought for all Christians that I think I will add to my sig.

discuss.
the thing i like about christianity is that we usually dont have rogues go out and blow themselves up...
but there are the occasional david keresch every now and then : /
-format

Manu

Knight
IMHO its all about the 10 commandments. Fuck the bible, thats just an instrument. Fuck the church, thats grown into an institution that claws to keep its power.

Go with common sense, the 10 commandments and if you really believe, go with the love of and for god. Thats all there should be.

theformat

Wanderer
Manu said:
IMHO its all about the 10 commandments. Fuck the bible, thats just an instrument. Fuck the church, thats grown into an institution that claws to keep its power.

Go with common sense, the 10 commandments and if you really believe, go with the love of and for god. Thats all there should be.
well thats a great example of obeying them i believe

bzk90

Lord
Manu said:

I agree...

Manu

Knight
TMSTKSBK said:
Y'all don't know much...ohwell...

Oh and another one would be: No matter how much of a hardcore believer you are in your own mind... just let the rest of the world make up their own fucking mind and dont act all elite and shit. Houlier than thou SUCKS!

TMSTKSBK

Lord
How about you come down off your high horse now, eh?
Do you realize how hypocritical what you just said is?
Go sit in the corner with a juice box and twinkie and ponder that, ok?

WarAngel

Wanderer
Well most of you don't. Almost every serious statement against religion in this discussion has just been stereotypes and "fuck the Chuch" kind of stuff.

I don't even follow Christianity (I don't really know how I feel about religion), but I went to a catholic high school for four years. There's a lot more to religion than a bunch of people telling you that you're going to burn, or that the Bible is perfect and that if you don't read it you are a blasphemer.

bzk90

Lord
I know that christians are singly responsible for 30,000 children being sold into slavery during the crusades...

WarAngel

Wanderer
That's like me saying you're the cause for all world problems. Come on, find a less lame excuse for problems. At least blaming Bush for everything was a bit funnier.

bzk90

Lord
You do realize that the war on "terrorism" wouldn't even be happening if it weren't for organized religion...

Look back at history, see just how many have been killed all in the name of "god".