RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bono on Christianity

WarAngel

Wanderer
Damn all those Christian groups that raise more private donation money than any other group combined.

You're a moron. I'm not continuing this discussion.

bzk90

Lord
Perhaps they feel guilty for killing countless millions...

Maybe when people finally learn to stop following the herd of lemmings they will realize that the way to "god" is not through religion...

WarAngel

Wanderer
Lemming telling other lemmings to stop being lemmings? I like that.

Listen, it's obvious that the only thing you know about religion is what your liberal acquintances drill into your mind. Like I said before, what you think of "religion" is only the very tip of it. There's so much more to the idea of "religion" than just "God" and "worship" if you'd take the time to stop spouting "I hate religion" crap and actually look at what religion really is.

If you were to take the time to look at what religion really is, you'd realize that true religion is what could possibly save this immoral, dirty world. Not God, but religion as a whole. Religion creates a faith in something, a strong set of base morals, an understanding of the basis of human emotional needs. 20% of our country is depressed at any given time. Before religion (again, not GOD but religion) lost its foothold in society and before some parts of the followers of religion were twisted into what they are today, the numbers were nowhere near that high.

Religion in itself is not bad. The way people translate religion can be.

bzk90

Lord
I understand there is a distinction between god and religion...read my post

Religion is nothing more than a way to control the masses, theres nothing wrong with spirituality or having faith or believing in god/s but organized religion is a creation of man to control man. We don't need religion to teach people morals and ethics, thats the job of a parent. Would the world be so bad if people actually thought for themselves? Do you honestly believe the church offers anything besides a group cling to?

You're right though, I don't know much about "religion"...I'm to busy studying philosophy and spirituality...

As long as the church is busy brainwashing the next generation to believe exclusively what they are told we will NEVER reach a time of world peace.

WarAngel

Wanderer
No, the Church is an institution.

bzk said:
We don't need religion to teach people morals and ethics, thats the job of a parent.

Yeah. Noticed that a lot of parents these days are the most irresponsible people in existance? Good idea to let them be the only teachers of morals and ethics.

Do you honestly believe the church offers anything besides a group cling to?

I don't really like the Church, but actually, I do believe it offers something besides a group to cling to. It offers purpose and understanding.

bzk90

Lord
The church is doing such a great job aswell, breeding zealots and all...

Faith and "god" can exist without the church and without religion...why do we need either.

WarAngel

Wanderer
There are less zealots than there are normal worshippers. Stop following your stupid stereotypes. Most followers are not like the psychos you see on the media, just like most things you see on the media should not be laid into stereotype.

You still refuse to seperate Church from religion. Until you do that, of course you won't understand religion, and you'll just go on being another ignorant religion-basher, without ever really understand or caring to understand what it is you're bashing. I have no problems with you accusing the Church of things because in some parts, I think the Church is greedy (both in money and needing attention, among other things), but religion is not Church.

bzk90

Lord
When you separate the church from religion you have church and faith. If you agree with this statement we have a misunderstanding.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Religion is the idea of a combination of faith, search for understand, search for meaning, and community. There are other things that are also part of religion but I'm going to get ice cream, so I'm not taking the time to list them.

Church takes religion and defines each part of it, just as Islam takes religion and defines each part of it in ways that are different from Christianity. Religion is Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, but Islam, Christianity, and Judaism are not religion. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I hope you get my meaning.

bzk90

Lord
I just that people should find faith for themselves instead of being born into it, which is generally the case for most christians.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Where do you get your information? I don't have a single friend from the church I used to attend that was simply born into it. Their parents are christians, but they are there because they have embraced the faith their parents showed them, not because their parents forced them to. The only reason I don't embrace it is because I struggle to find God because of some things that have happened in my life in the past that have effected me to a very deep point.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Heh...not a lot of people "born into" Christianity stay there. The majority are converts from outside the church.

(I'd really appreciate it if you stopped posting unsubstantiated opinions as literal facts)

bzk90

Lord
Perhaps its different on the east coast...on the west coast people go to church with their family and generally continue going to church well after being able to decide for themselves...

WarAngel

Wanderer
...so that instantly means they didn't decide for themselves that they wanted to stay? I'm not quite sure why you'd use that to make your point... it doesn't really work.

Johabius

Knight
I stopped regularly going to church when my parents stopped making me. tbh, when I do go to church, I do feel a lot better about the world in general than I did before I got there.

bzk90

Lord
WarAngel said:
...so that instantly means they didn't decide for themselves that they wanted to stay? I'm not quite sure why you'd use that to make your point... it doesn't really work.

If your raised doing something it becomes habit.

WarAngel

Wanderer
You can assume whatever you like, but just because people keep going to church after they get to the age of being able to choose to go or not does not mean it's just because it's out of habit.